October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Trashfest Northeast, Nov 13th - 15th, 2015 - Official Thread

More
13 Nov 2015 19:11 #215013 by ChristopherMD
Can someone let Josh know he doesn't need to pick me up tomorrow? Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2015 07:59 - 14 Nov 2015 08:21 #215026 by Legomancer
I'll be leaving here at around 9:30. What I'm bringing:

Neuroshima Hex!
Fistful of Dinero
Burgle Bros
New Era
Rattle Battle
Quantum
Marrying Mr. Darcy
Codenames
Mission: Red Planet
Impulse

Any other requests? I'll check in here before I leave.

Also, last call if you want any of this (Loter, I'll bring Colossal Arena):

1955: The War of Espionage ($8)
3012 ($8)
Abyss ($20)
Artifacts, Inc ($12)
Battle at Kemble's Cascade ($25)
Battle For Souls ($20)
Bone Wars ($3)
Boss Monster ($12)
Burgoo ($1 or include free with other buy)
Card City ($5)
(Matt Loter) Colossal Arena ($10)
Coup (damaged box) ($3)
Draco Magi ($10)
Dungeon Roll ($10)
Felix: The Cat in the Sack ($5)
Fluxx ($3)
Formula D + Sebring/Chicago, Zandvoort 2/Francorchamps ($40)
Guillotine ($3)
Hanabi ($5)
Homesteaders ($25)
In the Shadow of the Emperor ($10)
Little Devils ($5)
Mamma Mia! ($5)
Moby Dick, or The Card Game ($8)
Nations: the Dice Game ($20)
Neuroshima Hex (Z-Man old edition with Babel 13) ($20)
Nightfall (base, Martial Law, Coldest War, Blood Country) ($25)
Origo (in German, but English rules and totally playable) ($20)
Pandemic (older edition + older On the Brink) ($15)
Pandemic: Contagion ($15)
Pocket Rockets ($3)
Potion-Making: Practice ($15)
RARRR!! ($10)
R-Eco ($5)
Red7 ($8)
Scrabble Express ($3)
Scripts & Scribes Dice Game (not Biblios Dice) ($10)
Sole Mio! ($5)
Terra (Faidutti card game) ($5)
Wiz-War (FFG edition) ($25)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 08:21 by Legomancer.

More
15 Nov 2015 09:29 #215057 by Legomancer
AWESOME TIME! Thanks everyone!

Here's what I played. I'm terrible with names, both real and FAT usernames, so let me know if you played these with me!

Battle Merchants
Dark Moon
Space Cadets Dice Duel
Space Cadets Away Missions
Albion's Legacy
The Omega Virus
Cockroach Poker
Maus Nach Haus
U Mad Bro

Sold Colossal Arena to Loter, bought Dark Moon and Great Heartland Hauling Company.

More
15 Nov 2015 09:33 #215058 by Gary Sax
Critically: did it help with your grumpiness?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
15 Nov 2015 10:49 #215063 by repoman
I personally witnessed him smile, laugh, and cheer while there so at least in the short term I hope it did.

Going to try and get someone to play Archipelago with me today. Wish me luck Gary Sax.

More
15 Nov 2015 17:32 #215074 by repoman
Ahh the bitter sweet end to another Trashfest.

I had a great time. The highlights:

Eric the Lurker from New Jersey coming up to meet and play with a bunch of strangers. He fit right in and was super fun to talk with and play with. He joins the ranks of The True Believers®.

Old friends making the trip too..Zavos and Flim Flam and Bernie and Loter. Great to see them as well. Mindy and her husband Vas...such fun to play with. Really a joy to be around.

Billy Zavos attempting to say "I'll Deploy" but having it come out all wrong and thus giving us the new F:AT battle cry to be used whenever making an important move: Ehhhhh-Papoi!! It was subsequently used a lot.

I did not win the first annual Flick-off, that was Billy, but I did manage to deliver the single greatest drubbing Al Rose has ever experienced in Ascending Empires. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel good. That Jay was also squashed was just a bonus.

Got to play The Grizzald which I think is a really good co op that can be played in half an hour. The theme is unique, that of soldiers in the trenches of WW1 but the talk of the emotional effect it can have is very overblown. At least to me.

Also played the GF9 WWE Wrestling game which was rediculous and fun. The minis are cool and game play is simple with just a dash of strategy.

So if you didn't come or couldn't come this year we missed you, we had some beers for you, we cheered and laughed for you and we hope you'll make it next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Bookseller, SuperflyPete, engineer Al

More
15 Nov 2015 18:12 - 15 Nov 2015 18:22 #215075 by engineer Al
Billy Zavos wins first annual Flick-Off!

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Nov 2015 18:22 by engineer Al.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Legomancer, repoman

More
15 Nov 2015 18:55 - 15 Nov 2015 18:56 #215076 by Josh Look
E

engineer Al wrote: Billy Zavos wins first annual Flick-Off!

AAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY PAPOIIIIIIIII!

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 15 Nov 2015 18:56 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billyz

More
15 Nov 2015 22:01 #215078 by Gary Sax
That is a shit eating grin on Billy Z.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
15 Nov 2015 22:06 - 15 Nov 2015 22:08 #215079 by KingPut

Legomancer wrote: AWESOME TIME! Thanks everyone!
Here's what I played. I'm terrible with names, both real and FAT usernames, so let me know if you played these with me!
Cockroach Poker
U Mad Bro

I'm just glad I wasn't playing Cockroach Poker against Legomancer for money because he has some big ass balls.

Thanks Uba and Al for another great Trashfest. I think me and the spawn managed play games with the almost everyone which is remarkable for just 1 1/2 + days of gaming. Many times at other cons I've ended up playing with the same 4-6 or people just because of timing or taste in games. I think mixing in the flicking games with some Ameritrash worked out great.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2015 22:08 by KingPut.

More
16 Nov 2015 12:03 #215125 by ubarose
I think this is what I played, but I feel like I'm forgetting some.

Phoenix - A long time favorite of mine that I rarely get to play anymore. I think Josh was skeptical at first, but quickly discovered just how nasty this little skittle colored game is. Too bad this one is long out of print.

Camp Grizzly - Still loving this one.

A La Carte - I pulled this one out because I thought Repo' wife, who is quite the cook, would enjoy it. I think she did. It drew a bit too much attention from the regulars at the Elks bar. Crokinole they kind of get, especially when folks are playing for money. Grownups playing with little pans and stoves, not so much.

Argent Consortium - KingPut's spawn has been wanting to try this, and Bernie was happy to pull it out. I got destroyed, but enjoyed every minute of it.

Albion's Legacy - I did not enjoy this game. The less said about it the better.

The Omega Virus - You human scumm!

Cockroach Poker - Legomancer pulled this one out. Totally fun. I may need to get a copy of this one.

Flick Em Up - To my team mates: I am sorry I so suck at this game.

Maus Nach Haus - Another ridiculous game courtesy of Legomancer.

U Mad Bro - Silliest game of the entire fest.

Wiraqocha - Finally found a couple of people with exactly the right sensibilities to play and enjoy this game. It was a bloodbath from the second player's turn. He immediately got that if you can trash another player, you trash another play.

But mostly I got to spend time with old friends and make new ones. I love my FATies.

Mark your calendars for Trashfest 2016: November 10 -13, 2016. See you all next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Legomancer, SuperflyPete, repoman, Egg Shen, engineer Al

More
16 Nov 2015 13:32 #215142 by repoman
Also a big thanks to Al and Shellie for doing the heavy lifting this year as I could not. You guys are the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, Egg Shen

More
16 Nov 2015 14:40 #215148 by Legomancer
Posted about TF2015 at my blog , where there are crappy (game, not people) photos. Here's the text:

Trashfest Northeast 2015

For the third year in a row I went down to Connecticut this weekend to play a heaping helping of boardgames at Trashfest! This is always a good time and some fun people and this year was no exception.

I started out by teaching three other guys Battle Merchants. This is the second time I have played with the New Kingdoms expansion/alteration and I think the revised kingdom cards are really good. The new players seemed to enjoy it and one of them won, nearly steamrolling over everyone else (I was a very close second but only because I got really lucky in the final season.)

Someone there was selling Dark Moon, a game I'd had my eye on, for a really good price. It's a retheme of "BSG Express", which was itself a fan-made dice adaptation of the Battlestar Galactica boardgame. I'm not a huge fan of BSG, but more for the length and sameness than the central idea behind it. I wanted to jump on that sale price but felt I should give it a try first. I found some others who were happy to teach it and played a game. I was one of the Infected, and played cool for a while. At one point I selected an event card which could have given the game away and was disastrous for the humans, but it was because I was completely inept, not because I was trying to kill them all. When we Infected revealed, we had the humans on the ropes, but they wriggled out and won. Stupid humans. I had a good time and ended up buying that copy.

The people I had just tried to murder in Dark Moon wanted to play Space Cadets: Dice Duel next and I obliged. I tried this out at Gen Con and it didn't do much for me then. It also didn't do much for me now. I like dice stuff but I don't like real-time everyone-roll-dice-and-then-yell stuff. Others had fun, tho, so I'm good.

The next game, though, was Space Cadets: Away Missions, and it was a blast. This has been getting a lot of buzz lately and was everywhere at Trashfest (the designers were there) but for some reason I thought it was some kind of miniatures game and that's not normally my thing. It's not. It's more like a dungeon crawl game and it is a bunch of fun. We played a scenario where aliens were infesting our spacecraft and we had to defeat them all before the self-destruct went off. We were successful, but largely because of an amazing turn where the meathead character found some kind of adrenaline injector, Hulked out, and went on a rampage, mowing down aliens left and right. It was glorious. As I say, the designers were there, and the copy we played belonged to one of them, so it was the top-of-the-line Kickstarter edition with beautifully painted miniatures. I don't usually care about such things, but in this case they really made the game come alive. It was loads of fun.

Then I played Albion's Legacy and the less said, the better.

I was watching as Flick 'Em Up was being taught, but it seemed like (a) way more than I wanted in a flicking game and (b) it would be kind of long and convoluted, so I bailed and joined a game of The Omega Virus. This game from the 80s was a hoot. There's not a lot of play to it (you're just kind of moving around and hoping to find stuff) but it's a lot of goofy fun, as it has an electronic talking component, which serves as the countdown, the voice of the base computer begging for help, and the voice of the Omega Virus making fun of the base computer. I and one other player cornered the Virus in a room but he beat me to defeating it. I have been wanting to play Omega Virus for ages and am glad I finally got a chance. This makes me even more eager to finish SECRET BOARD GAME PROJECT "VICTOR MIKE".

I can't think of a better crowd to play Cockroach Poker with, and we had a great time. I pulled an especially gutsy move, passing a stinkbug to someone when I already had three of them in front of me. I figured no one would believe I'd do that, and it paid off.

There was a flicking game competition going on, and to help I brought my copy of Maus Nach Haus, which has not seen table time in far too long. You have six mice and someone spins a wooden ring. You try to flick your mice so that when the ring stops spinning and falls, they'll be inside it. That's it. It is a riot, and inspired a lot of obscene trash talk, as all the best games for pre-schoolers do.

I was ready to leave at that point but Matt Loter convinced me to stay for a round of a game he's designing, U Mad Bro?, about the brain-twisting ineffable horror of Cthulhu and its effect on Jersey Bros. It's a microgame, dumb as hell, and full of luck, and we had a lot of fun playing it. If you want a game where you stroke your beard and puzzle over interesting decisions in the problem space, it's not for you. If you want to have a good time, it's aces.

And that closed out another Trashfest. As always, many thanks to the organizers. I sadly did not play my traditional game of Ascending Empires on the Super Deluxe Board, nor did I play or teach The New Era. I saw other things being played that I'm now interested in, such as The Grizzled and Argent. Can't wait for next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
16 Nov 2015 15:18 #215156 by iguanaDitty
It sounds like Albion's Legacy is officially The Game That Shall Not Be Named. Too bad!

More
16 Nov 2015 15:30 #215157 by Hex Sinister
I was curious about Albion's Legacy. Come on, Uba... more commentary!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds