October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Minis for WoW junkies

More
18 Feb 2008 00:02 #2914 by metalface13
Did you guys see this this week? entertainment.upperdeck.com/wowmini/en/

Yep, Upper Deck and Blizzard are continuing to milk the World of Warcraft franchise by brining it to another game system. Apparently you can play competitively or cooperatively. Like you can build your party and fight somebody else or play through a raid like Onyxia where somebody either controls the dragon or against a game system. Sounds kind of like Mage Knight/Mage Knight Dungeons. My interest may rise as more of the game system is revealed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2008 00:10 #2915 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Minis for WoW junkies
Will this be a real minis game or will there be some sort of map (hex/square grid) used to dilineate movement?

More
18 Feb 2008 03:18 #2917 by Mr Skeletor
I find you using the term 'milk' ironic since you have a marvel avatar ;)

I wonder if these will be any good for Warcraft the boardgame?

More
18 Feb 2008 22:39 #2939 by metalface13
Details on the gameplay were pretty scarce. But I imagine like most CMGs there will be a square grid map that comes with the starter sets.

More
19 Feb 2008 00:10 #2947 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Minis for WoW junkies
I think if they go the route of scenario-based stuff, this could be a big hit. However, I think that they might run face first into Descent + Road to Legend...in fact, I think that a lot of adventure-based gaming is going to be running up against this behemoth as it invades all the spaces at once--boardgaming, miniatures tactical battles, adventuring, RPG-esque leveling up...

Still, WoW is a massive, massive hit and I don't doubt that some WoW addicts will take the plunge on these minis. It worked for the hyper-derivative card game, so I'm sure that so long as the system is merely adequate, they'll see a nice chunk of sales.

Hijacking the thread for a second...this talk of Raid-style play reminds me of a set I saw last week for D&D minis...it was essentially a boxed set of Drizzt and Wulfgar versus the dragon. Now THAT'S some eye candy. Unfortunately, it's also freakin' $50. Not cool. To steer this back on topic, I hope that the WoW game can incorporate affordable scenario sets like that so it's not always random boosters. If it's all blind booster stuff, I probably won't pick it up. If they came out with a decent raid set for $50 (with more than 3 figures, please) then I'd probably give it a look.

More
19 Feb 2008 01:21 #2952 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Minis for WoW junkies
The prospect of being able to play dungeon scenarios sounds very cool.

I always thought a lot of the skirmish games where you simply picked an army that was a certain amount of points and then duked it out with your opponents army could get dull after awhile, especially if you just kept fighting the same army over and over again. Some players just don't like to deviate from their standard build or try something novel or unique.

Plus I'm the kindof guy who likes to see objectives that are more than just "kill the enemy" ... though the prospect of fighting in a dungeon in the warcraft world does sound cool.

Of course, will i even have time to play any other games once Road to Legend comes out?

I can definitely see this WoW mini game appeal to a lot of people though, especially those in to the collectible stuff, as opposed to the crowd who is more in to boardgames.

More
19 Feb 2008 02:13 #2954 by Mr Skeletor
Ken B. wrote:

I think if they go the route of scenario-based stuff, this could be a big hit. However, I think that they might run face first into Descent + Road to Legend...in fact, I think that a lot of adventure-based gaming is going to be running up against this behemoth as it invades all the spaces at once--boardgaming, miniatures tactical battles, adventuring, RPG-esque leveling up...

Ummm, what?

More
19 Feb 2008 06:33 #2957 by Ken B.
Road to Legend is the new messiah, Skelly. Try to keep up.

All I'm saying is that Descent will have adventuring, skirmishing, questing, and leveling up all in one package. And compared to what the D&D Minis stuff costs, Descent is a great deal, too.

Anyway, yeah...I'll keep an eye on WoW minis, especially if they do something inventive with it like focus on raids and adventures. I think the raid deck idea is one of the few cool and original things from the CCG, so if they expand on that I'll be glad.

More
19 Feb 2008 07:08 #2959 by Mr Skeletor
Road to Legend is a story based campaign system for Descent. I don't know where you are getting this other stuff from, like skirmishing and adventuring and the like.

It covers similar ground to what Advanced Heroquest and Warhammer Quest did. Descent fans will love it but I don't think it's going to be the Agricola of the AT world, and I doubt it can compete with the warcraft franchise (remember WoW outsold descent).

Lets try and not stain our pants too much eh?

More
19 Feb 2008 21:31 #3030 by Ken B.
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Road to Legend is a story based campaign system for Descent. I don't know where you are getting this other stuff from, like skirmishing and adventuring and the like.

It covers similar ground to what Advanced Heroquest and Warhammer Quest did. Descent fans will love it but I don't think it's going to be the Agricola of the AT world, and I doubt it can compete with the warcraft franchise (remember WoW outsold descent).

Lets try and not stain our pants too much eh?

But...I MADE A DOODIE~!

My comparison is IF the new WoW puts an emphasis on scenario play, like Raids. Each Descent dungeon is like a Raid, and Road to Legend is going to give you a way to essentially come up with such dungeon raids on the fly. But you're right, it will sell to FFG fans but WoW junkies will go straight for the licensed goods, no matter how it stacks up to Descent.

Heh...what IS the Agricola of the AT world? Twilight Imperium? War of the Ring? Descent? Munchkin Cthulhu?

More
19 Feb 2008 21:53 #3031 by Mr Skeletor
Battlelore.

More
19 Feb 2008 22:07 #3033 by Ken B.
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Battlelore.

That comeback works on so many levels. Well played, sir. Well played.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds