October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Sentinels of the Multiverse

More
15 Oct 2015 13:14 #212499 by boothwah
I friggin love this game. Me and my buddies have been been playing it since it came out - upgraded and added every expansion - it hits the table every time we get together, but the get togethers are now turning into once a monthish -

I finally hijacked my wife's Ipad and downloaded the digital version and all the current expansions - It's actually makes for a really good solo experience - I still prefer the agony and high-five times that come from winning and losing as a team, but this really scratches my card flopping app itch and keeps me away from expensive time wasters like Hearthstone and Magic origins.

Anyone else playing this card flopper?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2015 13:30 #212500 by Michael Barnes
Nope.

You should look at Mistfall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
15 Oct 2015 14:55 #212506 by Josh Look
I'm sorry, but I'm about ride that Spiral of Negativity again. I really can't stand this game. Yes, I was initially willing to give it a pass because it was better than any other supers board/card game out there, but that wore off quickly. Aside from the theme and the occasional piece of art the references an iconic comic cover, there's really nothing fun about it. You draw a card. You play a card. You pick the power that's most obvious to your situation. Rinse and repeat. Do some math, keep track of a plethora of modifiers you have in front of you. No thanks.

I do appreciate how much variety it offers, and I think the environments playing a big role is a neat idea. Yet the great (or even good) superhero game has yet to be made. There's nothing about math and modifiers that screams "super heroes" to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
15 Oct 2015 15:04 #212507 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Sentinels of the Multiverse
I've never played the actual card game, but I've played the hell out of the iOS app. I bought it on a whim, knowing next to nothing about the game, and fucking loved it. I played at least one game a day for probably 5-6 weeks before I finally fizzled out on it. It's a great solo app.

I think managing all those +/-1modifiers in the actual card game would be tedious, but with the app to handle all the bookkeeping, it's fantastic. I also love the artwork.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
15 Oct 2015 15:37 #212508 by Green Lantern
Oh yeah, still digging Sentinels of the Multiverse. I really like it when we do these mini events and have The Matriarch try to take down the Freedom Five in their own tower and playing a follow up round after getting our ass kicked. We pick a new team to try to take her out based on the games previous events. Nemesis matches are fun too as are picking a specific team for their themes and basing the choice for villain and environment around a theme as well.

I love all the pastiche heroes and villains and how much effort the design team put into giving them their own twist. Even the code names are spot on and have become iconic to me. Having said all that, my enjoyment of the game is based UTTERLY on my love of superhero stories and archetypes. Without the bit of fluff we get for each hero and fun artwork the game would bore me to tears. I get how keeping up with all the modifiers can be a pain in the ass and drag the game into tedium, but in the right dosage and with other superhero fans it's a blast sitting down, building a team, and saving the world.

I've heard rumors of an RPG coming soon and I'm hoping they nail it and give us a good game system in addition to fleshing out the world more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
15 Oct 2015 15:53 #212512 by Egg Shen
Whenever I get the urge to track down a superhero game I always come close to pulling the trigger on Sentinels. But my gut feeling has always been exactly what Josh just mentioned.

There is a boardgame version out now that is like a tactical minis game...anyone play that?

More
15 Oct 2015 16:14 #212513 by Sagrilarus
I found the game tedious. Reminded me of a meeting at work.

All of the games like this feel like committee meetings to me. Seems like there's a best answer that you need to go with each turn.

S.

More
15 Oct 2015 17:06 - 15 Oct 2015 17:08 #212517 by Josh Look
What we _NEED_ is for the Overkill system of Space Cadets Away Missions to be re-purposed into a 60's era "Birth of the Marvel Universe" sort of superheroes game, complete with a Jack Kirby-esque style art. NOW AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT?
Last edit: 15 Oct 2015 17:08 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
15 Oct 2015 18:08 #212524 by Space Ghost
Capes & Cowls is the best superhero game. Hands Down

More
15 Oct 2015 18:11 #212525 by Space Ghost
Also, I have a ton of Sentinels stuff. If someone wants to trade, let me know

More
16 Oct 2015 00:28 #212546 by Tim Champlin
I love this game. It's great when we get the baby to sleep and we decide we want to save the world and fight crime within an hour or so before we go to bed. Two thumbs up for this one.

More
19 Nov 2015 20:00 #215458 by boothwah
Man, I love the IoS version of this game.......but now I don't think I want to go back to playing the cardboard version.

More
19 Nov 2015 20:22 #215459 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Sentinels of the Multiverse

boothwah wrote: Man, I love the IoS version of this game.......but now I don't think I want to go back to playing the cardboard version.

Unless there's a power outage, I also feel the same way about this game. I need to trade it away.

More
20 Nov 2015 05:51 #215473 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Sentinels of the Multiverse

Egg Shen wrote: There is a boardgame version out now that is like a tactical minis game...anyone play that?

I played it at Bordercon and it's not bad. You select the powers that your character has each round, and chuck a lot of dice. There are various scenarios, the one we played had two heroes vs two heroes 3 KOs wins. Terrain is important and there's line of sight rules. Even the non miniature gamers liked it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds