October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Questions on a few CCGs

More
11 Aug 2015 13:49 - 11 Aug 2015 14:25 #208306 by Mr. White
From some things I was reading over in Shellhead's thread on playing CCGs like boardgames.

Doomtown - There was mention that's packaged differently. Almost like a boardgame. From what I can tell though, it's a box starter with card based expansions. How is this different then FFGs LCGs?

Warhammer: Invasion - Is this one not like all the rest as well? I was under the impression that folks bought a core box then bought the boosters to make their own armies. Not the case? Is it a game where one person buys the starter and the expansions then people make decks prior to playing? Or are all the decks pre-made?

Blue Moon - I know we've talked about this in the past, but remind me. Are the factions played as is or is there some level of deck building? Maybe there are more cards than can be in a playable deck so some have to be omittied? I don't know.

Pokemon - Has it jumped the shark with all the EXs? Does anyone still try to evolve their pocket monsters?

Lord of the Rings - LCG. How many does this play? Do all the players need to buy their own cards and show up with their own decks, or again, do they make decks from one set prior to playing?

EDIT: Shadowfist - Looks like this oldie is still kicking around. I recall it being multiplayer. Is it any good?
Last edit: 11 Aug 2015 14:25 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2015 14:51 #208311 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Questions on a few CCGs
Don't know about the rest but Blue Moon has fixed decks and deckbuilding.

More
11 Aug 2015 16:03 #208319 by Michael Barnes
Quit fiddle-farting around and get the Blue Moon Legends set. It is EXACTLY what you are looking for in all of this.

It has fixed faction decks so you can hand somebody one and just go. The rules are easy, and they are very Knizia- the core mechanic is his classic pick-your-fights, stay and play or cut and run thing. But you can also do full deckbuilding if you want using cards from any or all of the factions. It is also a one time purchase thing, I think you can get it for about $30 and that would make it one of the best values in gaming today.

More
11 Aug 2015 16:33 #208323 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Questions on a few CCGs
I'll comment on the three I play and enjoy:

Doomtown is an LCG, AEG just had to call it something else since FFG has the copyright(?) on that term. Regular fixed expansions (saddlebags) with the occasional bigger expansion. Probably my favorite of the ones you listed but it is definitely more complex than the others.

Warhammer Invasion - an LCG like the rest, but cancelled now, so the cards might be cheap. It's got a fairly large pool of cards (I want to say 6 expansion sets of 6 packs plus 5 or so deluxe expansions). I like it a lot. The last two deluxe expansions added multi-player rules (up to 4) and home base cards for the four neutrals factions to make them playable on their own. The new neutral races could use a bit more support, but overall I though it was well done.

Shadowfist has been around forever, so it won't wow you with clever mechanics. It's best with 3 or 4 and is very dependent on the players being aware of what is going on around them at the table - a weaker player can screw things up for the rest. The current edition is also a fixed format, but the release schedule is several decks worth of cards at a time being kickstarted (it's almost a one man show I believe).

More
11 Aug 2015 16:40 - 11 Aug 2015 16:41 #208326 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Questions on a few CCGs
I would describe Shadowfist as a cross between Cosmic Encounter and Magic: the Gathering. I was a huge fan back in the day, especially of the excellent Year of the Dragon starter decks. The subsequent 10,000 Bullets starter decks offer 8 factions instead of 5, but they are not as powerful as the YotD decks.

EDIT: I get the impression that the majority of current active Shadowfist players live in California.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2015 16:41 by Shellhead.

More
11 Aug 2015 17:15 #208330 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Questions on a few CCGs
Almalik is correct about warhammer invasion. The only addition I'd add is that since nearly all cards can be used for resources, you can easily play the game without any deck building. Just draw a set # of cards out of a faction randomly, maybe some neutrals and go. Sure might be unbalanced, but it's still fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
11 Aug 2015 20:36 #208337 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Questions on a few CCGs
I might be the only person on this site who dislikes both Blue Moon and Omen, but I thought Omen was much more interesting. Blue Moon felt like a Euro version of a CCG. Omen at least had a couple interesting things going on. Both got discarded in favor of Magic cube draft.

Warhammer invasion has always been on my radar but it's unlikely to ever be played around here...

More
12 Aug 2015 10:51 #208355 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Questions on a few CCGs
Doomtown - My brother has dug into this one recently. I had the old CCG and we played it back then, but I dumped my cards in trade somewhere along the way. It's funny, when I played it in the late 90s I thought it was way more complicated, but playing it now, it's obvious it's really a dudes-on-a-map card game where you build the board as you go. The combat is still one-of-a-kind, as poker hands drawn during a gunfight will determine your dudes' fates. It's definitely distributed just like FFG's LCGs, they just couldn't call it that.

Warhammer: Invasion - Never played this one, or know anyone who has.

Blue Moon - Fun Euro-style CCG. The Legends set is a great value as Barnes says. My brother and I played the ever living shit out of it a few years ago, maybe burned out on it a little. There's an AI version somewhere online (Keldon's page, maybe? I'd have to Google it) where you can test against the computer. The computer AI is pretty brutal, though, so be ready for that. The current set is everything you need. You can deckbuild or play the factions as is. I have never once tried to deckbuild with this game, beyond the Emissaries and Allies stuff, where you can choose a small subset of cards to be added to any deck. Of all the games listed though, the overall game structure is probably the simplest--it's a game of bluffing and brinksmanship, when to cut your losses on any particular battle. There are some nifty card combos that you will stumble across too, which is always fun.

Pokemon - I think they have probably ruined this game. My kids played it a lot several years ago. The boys are older now, but are still interested in the Pokemon games. However, at some point over the past few years, there was some sort of reboot, and Pokemon now are unbelievably more powerful and almost broken compared to your old cards. My boys didn't care for this at all as it obsoleted several of their old favorite cards. The game itself is a decent slugfest-style battle. The lack of ability to do things on your opponent's turn really hampers things. Also, be prepared for blind boosters and hyper-powerful hard-to-find Ultra Rares if you go this route.

Lord of the Rings - God, I hate this game. I started out thinking it was awesome with super artwork. My first few games I just figured I had to get used to it. After about a dozen I traded it all away in disgust. It's anti-thematic and it feels like wearing a straight-jacket playing the damned thing. I try not to think about it these days because it kind of just pisses me off.

Shadowfist - Never played this one at all. Always thought the theme was cool, but I played so many CCGs back in the day, when this came out, I didn't need one more to add to the pile.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds