October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
19 Dec 2017 15:07 #259332 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
And, actually, as I totally dominate the thread here, I have to say that my most interesting game of the past week has been the one I played last night with a Paladin control deck. I've been trying various contortions, including with Blackguard, and wasn't getting anything to function. So, I borrowed some ideas from a couple lists I'd seen; notably, abandoning all of the early Taunts and doing a N'Zoth scheme so that it's less "wait them out" than it is " disrupt what they're doing and then make the mountain tough to climb." It's notably missing Truesilver Champion, which has pretty much disappeared from all of my Paladin decks in favor of Rallying Blade and Unidentified Maul. I guess they did what they've wanted to do with other classes' base cards: Superseded them without nerfing. In fact, I run Blade in this one just because it's a Fiery (notsomuch)Win Axe, which kinda(?) proves that the weapon is still valid.

hsreplay.net/replay/8zXkHfDJFfFXgmqZLh8Ueg

This is a long-assed game (went to fatigue) so I'm'a just give the highlights:

On turn 2, he drops the Tempest, so I know he's playing either Elemental or Big Spell. Turns out it's the latter. I'm not sure how this deck is going to function in that case, since it still relies on minions to do its damage and he probably has an assload of board clears (he did.) But it probably stands in better than most midrange or aggro decks. So far, my favorite card of the deck is Benevolent Djinn. I was a little underwhelmed when reading about it, even though its purpose is obvious. I tried a Paladin elemental deck at one point and it was just pointless. Maaayyyybe this could work there. But I don't think so.

He drops the Raven and wins the joust for his Flamestrike. He would win all of them, since my deck has 8 spells: 2 2s, 4 4s, and 2 6s. I'm sitting on a Dirty Rat for a few turns. I've kinda learned the timing for them and it's usually around turn 6 or so, because they've cleared out the stuff they're playing on curve and are expecting to drop a hammer. I thought Barnes was a weird choice for this deck, but he draws mostly Deathrattle guys that you get something from or a Djinn who keeps you going. In this case, he gets the ideal target, the lone Skelemancer.

He Coins out a Summoner and gets Guardian off a Portal. So, it's turn 6 and I figure now is when Rat does good things. He pulls Medivh, which is ideal, since I don't have to worry about even more big things. I end up roping while deciding to hold on to my Djinn and sacrifice Barnes. The Djinn will help me recover from the 7 I just took, the other two enemies can't get through the Rat solo, and he doesn't want to AoE the Djinn and deal with an 8/8. Then he plays another Summoner and I'm a little concerned, but I topdeck Equality and wipe the board. On turn 7, he plays Doomsayer to try to slow me down, as his hand is full of clears. Rather than skip a turn, I decide to play Cairne into it, knowing that I'll at least have Baine next turn and can use him to clear stuff or put pressure on.

Over the next couple turns, he'll gain 34(!) armor from his two Artificers. That card is awesome. I draw Arthas, who gets removed with another Portal that brings on Hexxer. I may have been too rash in Obliterating it, but didn't want it hanging around and both blocking and freezing my minions as they tried to clear stuff. And on his turn 11, we see where I could've Obliterated the 2nd Doomsayer and saved Ragnaros. He still had both Dragon's Furys in hand, so it's not like Rag would have lasted much longer. But I am forced to skip a turn. Rag, thankfully, healed me both times.

So I have the other Dirty Rat in hand. He Pyroblasts me, leaving him with 4 cards. I'm thinking: I bet he just topdecked Alanna and wanted to put one more 5/5 into play. Yoink. Then it becomes about racing him before we hit fatigue, since he's at 55 life and I'm at 22. On my turn 14, I got nothing better, so I drop N'Zoth. The returns are solid. Again, he's not likely to have too many minions left, so Consecration is decent here to get things out of the way so I can beat on him as much as possible. Of course, the Tempest gives him a fucking Meteor... Using the Hoarders instead of the Beetles to clear is questionable. It takes away two more attacks that I could have next turn, but I assume another Blizzard or something else is coming, so I'm not worried about that. It does mean I give up my fatigue edge, though. But I wanted the draws to keep pressure on, as my hand had Tirion and nothing else.

So he Dragon's Furys with a Pyroblast. Everything dies... but I get an 8/8 and 4/5! So he uses the other Fury with a Pyroblast AGAIN. Of course, the Meteor then removes Tirion and he has a Tyrant in play, but I have serious card advantage. And then he Portals into a Doomguard to clear. Unreal. But I get the two-fer with the other Consec. He Books into AI which gives him the Chain Gang. He has one card left, so I do the Equality clear, hit him again with the Ashbringer to (ahem) bring us to level Health terms and then drop the other Djinn so that we're not. It's turn 20. Fatigue is almost upon us. He Pyros to change the Fatigue equation and drop the Tyrant for free. But I clear and it's game over with the Djinn helping me recover and me two turns ahead in fatigue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Brewmiester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2017 00:03 #259426 by Jackwraith
In total contrast, it was aggro night tonight because my quests finally started up again (I hadn't gotten any for three days) and one of them was Play 10 Pirates, so I pulled out Pirate Shaman again. Had a good game against Big Spell Mage: hsreplay.net/replay/Ub67jBgqpMaByc7GBpxrfe

Nothing real thrilling. One moment in turn 3 was interesting, because I had Jade Claws loaded up and both Dread Corsair and Bloodsail Raider in hand. I decided I'd stick with the aggro and just hit face after dropping the Corsair for 2, since I wanted the damage and I had Spirit Claws and could try to get an even better bonus for the Raider later. Another good one was my turn 5, where he drops Tar Creeper and Doomsayer. My board is nothing special, but the dual drop means that he thinks it's a threat or he's trying to steal tempo and start dropping big rocks. My Lightning Bolt gets caught by Counterspell, but Wrath of Air pumps up the Claws and I clear with a 3/2 Corsair still on the board. I do get the big bonus on the Raider. Raven pulls Ice Block over my Rockbiter, but I use Greenskin to turn my Axe into a 3/4 and keep hitting face. Alas, I am one short of popping the Block. The first weapon removal I've seen in several games gives him 4 armor off my Axe. But I draw the other one and then decide to take out the Darkspeaker with Greenskin, as he won't be able to clear both the threats and the totems, which means I'll likely still have what I need to finish. Raven pulls Ice Block(!) over my Rockbiter AGAIN. But I get Dickhand to pop the Block and clear his Raven, leaving him prostrate. He tries another Summoner to get a 5-cost Taunt, but justice finally rears its head and gives him Bomb Squad. Jeebus, I fucking hate Ice Block.

We go from a stupid deck to a stupid game. Having finished my Pirate quest, I switched over to the Demon deck I played in my first couple hours into Kobolds:
hsreplay.net/replay/2WoURmkk5FjcnS6wB5WjkM

I was matched up with a gold Warlock, who was playing some version of control. I kept the Crystalweaver in hand to try to buff whatever else came out of it. My first two turns were easily mapped out. Turn 2 6/5 is OK, right? Turn 3 Fledgling (remember those?) means he basically has to Hellfire, if he has it. He does, but that just pushes him in the direction I want to go. And then the Crystalweaver gets in. That card just keeps hanging around, as dumb as it seems. I'm not sure what the Coil was for, since he clearly couldn't get the draw and even a Lesser spellstone was enough to kill the Imp and he already had one at 5. So, back to 9 but, yeah, Doomguard. Turn 5 kill is OK, right? This deck isn't tuned at all, but sometimes demons can just go off. And it's pretty much all demons except two Librarians, two Crystalweavers, two Fledglings, and a Bonemare. Crazy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SebastianBludd

More
21 Dec 2017 11:26 #259436 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
5/4 for 4 is a solid aggro drop, especially when packed with something extra. They were trash for a while when Piloted Shredder was still in the meta, but once that rotated out of Standard you saw a lot more Blackwing Corrupter, Tomb Pillager, Crystalweaver-type stuff able to have success at that cost/stats.

Sorry for the low content, it's been boring. I am mostly goofing on the kids accounts. Three free packs from the Tavern Brawl though!

More
21 Dec 2017 11:58 - 21 Dec 2017 11:59 #259438 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: Sorry for the low content, it's been boring. I am mostly goofing on the kids accounts.

Same here. My younger son is going nuts over the dungeon run; he's completed two so far (Paladin and... Hunter, maybe?) but gets discouraged by the difficulty spike at boss 7. He had a pretty good Jade Rogue but couldn't draw any of his three Ayas in the top 20 cards of his deck at the penultimate boss, and lost. I found a relatively low cost handbuff Paladin netdeck for him to craft and once we find a way to shoehorn in his Light Rag I think he'll have a lot of fun with it. His midrange Hunter is still his favorite, though.

I'm such a card hoarder that I just need to go through and cull some more useless epics and legendaries (Moorabi and Mistcaller are still in my collection, seriously?) to craft some stuff. I do have the Mage weapon so I made a Secret Mage for quests and it's pretty good. Explosive Runes is amazing and I'd almost rather play against Mirror Entity considering the tempo swing with the face damage on top. What sucks is that it's not very good against Dragon Priest (I think I'm 0-4 in my limited sample) and I'm seeing those everywhere right now. I'm to the point where I autoconcede against a Priest if I have a "Win X Games as Mage" quest because I just can't stand the hassle.

A couple days ago I played against a Warlock with my Secret Mage and had the following Trolden-worthy moment:

The exact sequence was Primordial Glyph -> Shifting Scroll (yes, the other choices were that bad) -> Frozen Clone (zero cost) on Turn 5 -> He played Rin and I perked up. I played Rin x2 over the next two turns, got them killed and was able to start playing seals rapidly over the next few turns because I had a Sorcerer's Apprentice out that he couldn't deal with. He kept playing a couple turns after that - poor bastard - but he conceded after I dropped the Meteor (from Cabalist's Tome) on his Voidlord-spawned demons.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2017 11:59 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jackwraith

More
21 Dec 2017 13:08 #259445 by jeb
He's not wrong about that spike! Each of those routine bad guys becomes some kind of champion at Rank 7. The whip guy, holy smokes. I got shredded by that Final Boss Dragon last night as Priest. I had a shot, but misplayed a Potion of Madness and later drew into 5 copies of Dragonfire Potion (which land for 11 given my Robes of the Magi) instead of 5 copies of The Candle (it was the next card!). The bad guy's board was nothing but dragons. RIP a good run.

More
22 Dec 2017 22:31 #259522 by Jackwraith
Heh. No apologies necessary. I was just saying that because I was dominating the thread and figured it might get annoying. I've just been running into a wide variety of games and have been playing a myriad of decks, so I figured I'd relay some of them.

More
28 Dec 2017 16:46 #259736 by Jackwraith
Ugh. Shaman is Aw. Full. right now. I had the Win 3 games with Shaman quest and figured I'd drop into Casual and try the Overload deck again. String of losses. OK. Let's try the Totem deck. String of losses. Elementals? Nope. Evolve? Not even that. I finally won three with my stupid Pirate deck. Unreal. I was even running into Control Paladin decks, which aren't great right now, that were just handling me, even with Evolve. There just isn't a seriously competitive archetype for Shaman right now. I've got the Win 5 for Priest or Warlock. Think I'm going to shift into Big Priest and roll the dice.

More
29 Dec 2017 12:46 #259770 by jeb
Big Spell Priest is hilarious, Jackwraith. Try that out. It's a party! Making it to Turn 6, 7, 8 is an adventure with no Shadow Words or Dragonfire/Greater Healing Potions. Once you get there, it's nuts!

The gist: Your only spells are 2x Mind Control and 2x Free From Amber. Play two of the 6-drop Summoner that looks for a spell and gives you a dude. Play Medivh the Guardian and the 9-drop that casts spells from your deck with random targets. Everything else is just trying to keep you going.

More
29 Dec 2017 13:16 #259774 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I've seen it. I just don't have either the Summoner or the Archivist and have zero dust at the moment.

More
29 Dec 2017 19:30 #259802 by jeb
That's a bummer. You'd like it. Wheels within wheels, that one.

I one some Rank 19 games with OTK Shaman. Smacked a Bring It On Warrior at 45 for 48 with a yuuuuuuge Lightwarden, and didn't even need the Windfury backup.

AAECAaoIBK8E9wz2vQL70wINM4oB7wHgApQD+QPgBvUI96oCoLYCx8ECr8IC8+cCAA==

www.hearthpwn.com/decks/1010906-top-93-legend-otk-combo-shaman

No Leeroy here, I ran another Lightwarden.

More
03 Jan 2018 16:33 - 03 Jan 2018 16:33 #260126 by Jackwraith
All credit to Jeb for whipping out one of the most Johnny HS decks I've seen in a while: Quest Elemental Beast Hunter

Using FireFlys and Flame Elementals to complete the quest and take advantage of things like Servant and Ozruk (I saw a 5/25 come down), plus Tundra Rhinos, Savannahs, and Kathrena to keep the Beast angle rolling. It was hilarious watching him put a Jade Druid to the sword (bow?) with all of the power cards coming out in seamless progression. Nice work, man. I wish my shitty Shaman and Priest contortions were even half as interesting. I'm afraid I still I have more Spike in my Johnny than I do Timmy.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 16:33 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
03 Jan 2018 19:11 #260138 by jeb
Thank you! I have been goofing with Quest Hunter for a long time. I think I went 0-15 with it that last time I tried it out. The hard part is that you die. I say this like a joke, but it's what's stops the deck. I just can't get enough on the board to live long enough for the greedier part of the deck. Earlier builds had me running Mistress of Mixtures for the lifegain and Quest synergy. But I swapped her out for Wax Elemental (0/2 Taunt with Divine Shield for 1) which has the same (better?) defensive effect, plus Elemental and Quest synergies. I took out Secrets (mostly Freezing, again, for delay) and Doomsayers too. With all those 2's gone, I can put Prince Keleseth in, who ideally makes the 1-drops less bad as the game goes on. The middle game should be about Servant of Kalimos chains, along with Fire Elementals galore to get me to late game (also aided by Candleshot letting me mop up 1-dmg on troublesome minions without life loss). That's when Kathrena fetches Charged Devilsaur or Savannah Highmane, or Queen Carnassa shows up and let's me abuse Tundra Rhino.

The novelty is great too. I have seen two Curious Glimmeroot misfires so far.

More
04 Jan 2018 15:41 #260221 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Hearthstone Players!
The only thing I play is Dungeon Run, it got me back to the game after a long absence. It's great. I hope they give it more content sometime.

More
04 Jan 2018 18:47 #260232 by jeb

iguanaDitty wrote: The only thing I play is Dungeon Run, it got me back to the game after a long absence. It's great. I hope they give it more content sometime.

I bet they will, it's a huge hit. There's still a lot for me to see. Every now and then I bump into some new boss. I haven't AF Kay in like two weeks and I used to see her every run. I know that sword is out there from the tips, but I try to keep as ignorant as possible of other stuff. The mystery pays off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
04 Jan 2018 20:38 #260239 by Jackwraith
Speaking of shitty Shaman decks, here's one I kind of cribbed from Kibler. He was using Snowfall Giant because of all the Overload and I cringe at using Feral Spirit, but it keeps me alive against Paladin aggro (sometimes...) Basically, the trick is to get a Guild Recruiter to drop out a 4-mana 7/7 while you play other guys (Prophet, Creeper) for free and then use parts of the essential Jade/Evolve package to fill in gaps: hsreplay.net/replay/9nFoJfuWbCFNt3wh5H73bi

Not sure if this guy was playing Cubelock or just Control. I suspect the latter. When Maelstrom Portal dumped out a Dust Devil, I kept saying to myself: "You have to have the Coil. You have to have the Coil." In the half-dozen or so times that's happened in the last year-and-a-half, I don't think the Devil has ever gotten a hit in. Such an awful card. On turn 5, the Recruiter does his work. I should have just hit him in the face with the Creeper, but I didn't want him to sac both Mistresses to the Faceless and then Hellfire it away. He did that to the Creeper, anyway. On turn 7, I have an almost-full board of stuff. All I need now is a Bloodlust... (not in the deck.) On the following turn, I clear the Voidlord's leftovers and Thrall my way into a pretty awful Evolve. Because Shaman decks don't play any differently from Frozen Throne decks. This guy was also bound and determined to maintain his life total at all costs. His problem was that having a skull for 4 or 5 turns produced exactly zero benefit, as all 4 of his demons were on the bottom of his deck and the two he got were obtained by Lackeys. This is how a control deck goes awry. [shrug]

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds