October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Warhammer: Invasion Ends

More
28 Nov 2013 00:43 #166230 by Sevej
No new product, no official organized play, will still be in print (not sure for how long since once you buy 1 you don't need anymore).

Is this the first LCG to be dropped?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2013 00:54 #166232 by The Prodigal Player
Is it any good? Love the Warhammer setting; always been tempted to pick it up.

More
28 Nov 2013 01:26 #166235 by Gary Sax
It's actually pretty good. I don't know about the balance post 1st cycle but the game itself is a nice, quick defend the homeland slugfest.

More
28 Nov 2013 06:16 #166242 by Erik Twice
Apparently the game had severe balance issues, which FFG tried to fix with power level errata like "only one per deck" or "unique" which is an indicator that something crooked was going on.

Anyways, I hope that the remaining community sticks for a while and the power level errata never comes to Netrunner.

More
28 Nov 2013 09:42 #166257 by wadenels
It was a lot of fun though. I might still be playing it if there were enough people around who liked it as much as I did. I played quite a bit up until the first bigger box expansion.

A lot of the good ideas from Warhammer Invasion made it into Rune Age. But the setting and deck construction didn't.

More
28 Nov 2013 09:57 - 28 Nov 2013 11:03 #166258 by Mr. White
I played this one quite a bit when it was first released. If it were on sale, I'd probably jump on it.

My neighbor had a copy, but he moved prior to the first big box expansion. I understand the game ended up having multi-player rules. Is that right? At what point does the game lose it's way and become unbalanced? Also, if one were to only buy _one_ each of the boosters and not load up specific cards, would it remain balanced.

I still have a soft spot for the Warhammer universe having spent about two decades in it. I want nothing to do with current GW, so this could be a good fix. My favorite armies in order were: Bretonnians, Lizardmen, Undead. Are they all represented? I remember the Skaven being in the boosters. Did they ever get a home board and army proper?
Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 11:03 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: evilgit

More
28 Nov 2013 10:43 #166263 by Jackwraith
Last big expansion gives home boards and base decks for Skaven, Lizarmen, Undead (VC), and Wood Elves. They said 10 factions, which means those 4 plus Empire, High Elves, Chaos, Orcs, Dwarves, and Dark Elves. So, no Brets, Ogres, or Khemri (or Beastmen or Daemons if you assume Chaos is mostly Warriors; I have no idea, as I haven't played the TCG.)

I think FFG has probably reached their feasible design/support limit with their TCGs. We know that CoC has been losing steam for a long time (now down to only large expansions), but GoT and Netrunner have very strong playerbases. Star Wars and LotR will probably survive on the strength of their licenses, while CoC might limp along based on a playerbase created wholly from FFG's creation via Arkham and now Elder Sign, but I have my doubts. I've been impressed that they've maintained six games like this for as long as they have, given that most CCGs/TCGs don't last for more than a couple years.

I'd play CoC if I had regular players around here. I think the bases mechanic is a little clumsy, but I like the competition for different stories and have always been a fan of the Elder Gods stuff. It also helps that it only has major expansions. I got out of Netrunner even though I really liked the game simply because I just couldn't find time to play and keep up with the constant expansions and meta changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Mr. White

More
28 Nov 2013 11:26 - 28 Nov 2013 11:38 #166268 by Mr. White
So, if I wanted base decks only for all the factions I would buy the original base game and the last big expansion? From there if I wanted to add some new cards for each, I would buy the boosters?

I assume the early boosters don't have cards for some of the later factions (lizardman and such). So what cycle of boosters would be the ones to get that would provide cards for all the factions?

I wouldn't be looking to buy every card in the game, just play around in the Warhammer universe.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 11:38 by Mr. White.

More
28 Nov 2013 11:34 #166269 by The Prodigal Player
So is it safe to assume that wood elves would be pretty limited and weak given they only were given this single release, or am I missing something about how this expansion hooks up with the rest of the game?

More
28 Nov 2013 12:48 - 28 Nov 2013 12:51 #166278 by Gary Sax
I don't know for sure, but if you take skaven as an example there were tons of skaven cards released before the skaven got their own board. So you can use any of them with the skaven keyword which were released throughout the run, I'm assuming, and you have a big potential sideboard of them. I'm guessing wood elves are the same.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 12:51 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Nov 2013 13:43 #166290 by metalface13

Jeff White wrote: So, if I wanted base decks only for all the factions I would buy the original base game and the last big expansion? From there if I wanted to add some new cards for each, I would buy the boosters?

I assume the early boosters don't have cards for some of the later factions (lizardman and such). So what cycle of boosters would be the ones to get that would provide cards for all the factions?

I wouldn't be looking to buy every card in the game, just play around in the Warhammer universe.

Do it, Jeff. I've always wanted to try this game. I'm with you, love the Warhammer/40K universes, but have no interest in the minis games.

Just think if they did a 40K LCG ...

More
28 Nov 2013 14:35 #166294 by The Prodigal Player
Seriously, they should do that. I'd be all over a 40k LCG.

More
28 Nov 2013 14:50 #166297 by Almalik
Disappointing. I was hoping there would be an upswing in interest with the neutral factions getting more support and their own capitals in the latest (last) deluxe expansion. Curious that they cancelled the game without seeing what the reaction was going to be to the hidden kingdoms expansion.

I wonder if it a case of losing money on it, or the margins being quite thin compared to Netrunner and Game of Thrones and it just making sense to reallocate those developmental resources to the more profitable lines (see Hasbro and MtG).

So, if I wanted base decks only for all the factions I would buy the original base game and the last big expansion? From there if I wanted to add some new cards for each, I would buy the boosters?

yes, and kind of yes depending on the later faction?

I don't have Hidden Kingdoms yet, but I would think that with just the base and the latest deluxe set that the newer races would have an advantage, since the expansion would look to make the new races fairly matched against everything that has come out so far for the original ones, not just the initial base set. Adding boosters would add more of the main race cards than the neutrals, but even before this last expansion you could make competitive neutral decks while using another race's Capital board. I'd say go for it, the game is lots of fun (and this coming from someone who wasn't initially interested in it).

More
28 Nov 2013 21:35 #166325 by evilgit
Can anybody comment on how well the mutli-player rules work? I played this a few times with a friend when it was first released and would have jumped on it if it really worked multi-player. I don't need another 2 player shelf toad that I can't part with just because it's so cool. (Looking at you, Space Hulk, Earth Reborn, Claustrophobia, Summoner Wars, Tide of Iron, Call of Cthulhu LCG and BattleTech CCG)

More
28 Nov 2013 21:47 #166327 by ioticus
How do we know W:I has been dropped? Is this just a rumor or do we have a statement from FFG?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds