October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Jeb's magical school of Magic

More
02 Jul 2013 22:31 #155630 by dragonstout
God dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmit I hate losing posts

I got back into Magic (after an admittedly very brief absence) thanks to a similar dude, a relatively well-known judge. He introduced me to the booster draft format via his regular, free-of-charge drafts where he got to keep all the cards. In fact, after a while, he got tired of organizing the drafts, and we made a deal where I got to keep everyone's cards from the draft if I went to the minor trouble of organizing them. He crushed all of us, every time, but loved hearing our naive but enthusiastic feelings on all the cards. I was determined to beat him, just once, which triggered my headlong plunge into learning everything I could about Magic strategy. I finally beat him!

I saw him this spring for the first time in 8 years, and organized a draft with my Cube. He had never Cube-drafted before, and was thrilled to cast Time Walk and other ridiculous cards for the very first time. He crushed me with his blue-black Reanimator deck, while I drafted an overly ambitious Storm deck with which I made play mistakes literally every 30 seconds.

I'll stop now, but I could keep going and tell crazy impressive stories about him. I have a total man-crush on him for both Magic-related and Magic-unrelated reasons. He is easily the smartest person I've ever met in my age cohort.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2013 22:50 #155632 by stormseeker75
Fools, install Lazarus and you'll never lose a post again.

More
03 Jul 2013 15:02 #155726 by metalface13
My brothers and I are going to do some sealed action in two weeks when we meet up for our immediate family reunion.

More
03 Jul 2013 16:28 #155740 by Space Ghost

dragonstout wrote: God dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmit I hate losing posts

I got back into Magic (after an admittedly very brief absence) thanks to a similar dude, a relatively well-known judge. He introduced me to the booster draft format via his regular, free-of-charge drafts where he got to keep all the cards. In fact, after a while, he got tired of organizing the drafts, and we made a deal where I got to keep everyone's cards from the draft if I went to the minor trouble of organizing them. He crushed all of us, every time, but loved hearing our naive but enthusiastic feelings on all the cards. I was determined to beat him, just once, which triggered my headlong plunge into learning everything I could about Magic strategy. I finally beat him!

I saw him this spring for the first time in 8 years, and organized a draft with my Cube. He had never Cube-drafted before, and was thrilled to cast Time Walk and other ridiculous cards for the very first time. He crushed me with his blue-black Reanimator deck, while I drafted an overly ambitious Storm deck with which I made play mistakes literally every 30 seconds.

I'll stop now, but I could keep going and tell crazy impressive stories about him. I have a total man-crush on him for both Magic-related and Magic-unrelated reasons. He is easily the smartest person I've ever met in my age cohort.

What is your age cohort?

Also, Storm is very difficult to play in general -- I think people put too much emphasis on the deck building part of magic as the barrier to magic (as in "I can compete because I don't have as many good cards") or the it all comes down to who draws what and when.

So much is about knowing how to play the game -- especially timing. People usually lose because they are not as experienced players, more than anything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
03 Jul 2013 17:33 - 03 Jul 2013 17:44 #155746 by dragonstout

Space Ghost wrote: Also, Storm is very difficult to play in general

It's interesting, because I've played Storm in Legacy before, but playing it in Cube is an entirely different experience. In Legacy, the primary difficulty is in dealing with the opponent's very high-quality disruption; executing the combo is of course difficult too, but without disruption, a bit of practice makes the normal execution not too bad. In Cube, where your deck is a singleton drafted hodgepodge of Storm-related effects, the disruption is not too bad (there is just one Force of Will and Daze in the whole Cube, after all), but executing the combo is incredibly difficult, and completely different literally every time.

Edit: re: Space Ghost's age cohort question, I'm 30, Collin & I were undergrad math majors together. Okay, two Collin stories: 1. Back in the days of Inquest, they had a Magic-rules column. Collin noticed a mistake in an answer and wrote in; they told him he should take over, and he wrote the rules column for years before they found out he was 13. 2. Wizards ended up changing the age limit rules for judges to accommodate Collin. 3. Near the end of grad school, I was surprised to hear Collin's name for the first time in years...from a Computer Science professor, in the context of "this paper by Collin is the most important Computer Security paper ever written". I immediately wondered wtf I'd been doing for the last few years of my life.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2013 17:44 by dragonstout.

More
03 Jul 2013 21:09 #155781 by Space Ghost

dragonstout wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Also, Storm is very difficult to play in general

It's interesting, because I've played Storm in Legacy before, but playing it in Cube is an entirely different experience. In Legacy, the primary difficulty is in dealing with the opponent's very high-quality disruption; executing the combo is of course difficult too, but without disruption, a bit of practice makes the normal execution not too bad. In Cube, where your deck is a singleton drafted hodgepodge of Storm-related effects, the disruption is not too bad (there is just one Force of Will and Daze in the whole Cube, after all), but executing the combo is incredibly difficult, and completely different literally every time.

I have played a lot of Storm in Vintage - where the timing is a little harder than in Legacy. But, yes, I imagine it would be more difficult in Cube where it is all just singletons (although, a lot of Vintage deck lists are almost full of singletons, too).

More
03 Jul 2013 22:00 - 03 Jul 2013 22:00 #155786 by dragonstout

Space Ghost wrote: I have played a lot of Storm in Vintage - where the timing is a little harder than in Legacy. But, yes, I imagine it would be more difficult in Cube where it is all just singletons (although, a lot of Vintage deck lists are almost full of singletons, too).

I am envious; I've always wanted to play Vintage, largely thanks to Stephen Menendian, definitely one of my very top favorite Magic writers.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2013 22:00 by dragonstout.

More
30 Jul 2013 14:22 #157390 by Black Barney
Hey Jeb and all Magic enthusiasts, my buddies and I are thinking of doing a fun little ICE AGE-only constructed tournament in September. Do you guys know where I can find decent decklists for that type of environment? (I'm the world's worst deckbuilder). Or is someone up to task for building me an Ice Age deck? :)

I need to buy the cards too

More
30 Jul 2013 16:59 - 30 Jul 2013 18:19 #157403 by dragonstout
Dang Barney, what the FUCK? Why is your group always interested in playing the most absolutely miserable, miserable formats? Ice Age is almost certainly in my bottom 5 sets of all time. It's one of a handful of sets where reading the cards makes me literally queasy due to what wastes of paper they are.

The main thing to keep in mind is that Necropotence, Dark Ritual, and Knight of Stromgald are in the set; oh, and Zuran Orb! I literally cannot imagine that there is a better strategy that does not involve all four of these cards (I'm assuming your format is Ice Age only, not Ice Age & Alliances & Coldsnap). My guess is that it should also play Abyssal Specter, but I haven't looked too deeply.

Edit: Whoops, I just checked. In official Ice Age Block Constructed format, Zuran Orb is banned (Necropotence is not, though????!?).
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 18:19 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
30 Jul 2013 17:01 #157404 by metalface13
I quit playing Magic shortly after Ice Age came out. That speaks for itself.

More
30 Jul 2013 17:05 #157405 by bioball

metalface13 wrote: I quit playing Magic shortly after Ice Age came out. That speaks for itself.

Same here, maybe I stopped one set afterwards but it was that expansion that did it for me.

More
30 Jul 2013 18:17 #157418 by jeb
Yeah, Barney, don't do this. Are you trying to hate Magic?

More
30 Jul 2013 18:22 - 30 Jul 2013 18:23 #157419 by dragonstout
It's not like this worked so well last time, when your group literally spent money on Homelands cards and had games that lasted so long you ran out of cards. Does someone think that Ice Age is going to be a drastic improvement on that vomitous format?

And seriously, the WHOLE point of doing a weird-ass non-mainstream format like this is to force people to NOT net-deck and make their own decks. I don't care if you're "bad at making decks", it's fucking Ice Age Constructed with your buddies, not a $25000 tournament. So if you're really going to go ahead with this, dig in to that Ice Age spoiler list and figure stuff out for yourself!
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 18:23 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, jeb

More
30 Jul 2013 22:33 #157434 by Black Barney
oh boy! A lecture!

Did I ever come to wrong place. I'll go ask some friends. Maybe someone who wants to sell some cards too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, wadenels

More
30 Jul 2013 23:28 #157435 by dragonstout
Damn, I just wrote it up and it got lost.

But start with:
4 Necropotence
4 Knight of Stromgald
4 Abyssal Specter
4 Dark Ritual
4 Soul Burn

maybe:
4 Icy Manipulator
Icequake?
Hecatomb? (if so, also play Ashen Ghouls)
Demonic Consultation?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds