October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Jeb's magical school of Magic

More
01 Jul 2013 13:01 #155498 by Black Barney
thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the removal in my deck was off the charts. The best part is that the first 5 cards I drafted were all really good BW cards so I was sure that was the way I was going in terms of archetype, but then in two full rotations of the next two boosters I didn't draft a single black card so I had to give up that plan and went for a 3-colour deck (which I never do) and it worked out. There is a 1/1 white flier who can spend one White to tap a creature. i can't tell you how good this card was for me.

Yeah in our last Cube last time, Capsize hit the table and one good INSTA-SCOOPED. He refused to play against that card, he thought it was just too good.

What was Rolling Thunder? I think I drafted it, not sure.

Stormshadow mentionning that bombs are almost always rares really helps since that supports what you are mostly saying about there not being any real bombs in Pauper. Like a Fireball that kills multiple creatures to me would be Removal with a smidgen of Advantage (cuz you're making more use of 1 card than your opponent did with many)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2013 14:04 #155503 by jeb
Fireball is a bomb because it can turn a loss into a win. Imagine you and the opponent have stalemated in the creature counts and are just drawing cards looking for answers. Fireball is the answer. You can either get 2 or 3 for 1 and clear the way for your creatures, or just send 7 or 8 damage to their dome. Crazy good. It's casting cost at {X}{R} makes it available to -every- deck. There is not a situation you can cook up that won't lead you to put it in your deck in Draft or Sealed.

Casey dismantled me in Sealed play. His BW deck just comes out faster than my RW pile. I could not keep up. Black Knights are HUGE problems for me, as they skitter by my white defenses as I try to rustle up a Shock or something. I also misclicked in a tutoring session, but I was behind regardless. The reason I misclicked was because I was searching my deck for global removal I don't have. ;)

That 3/4 flyer that lifegains and puts +1/+1 counters on your other creatures? Bomb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Jul 2013 14:33 #155511 by Black Barney
is the 3/4 flier a rare? Cuz if he isn't, I don't think I'd ever be able to correctly identify it as a bomb (btw, these threads should be retitled, ''Black Barney can't spot a bomb to save his life''). I would think that 3/4 flier is evasion mixed with aggression/advantage. Great card, regardless.

More
01 Jul 2013 14:57 #155516 by jeb

Black Barney wrote: is the 3/4 flier a rare? Cuz if he isn't, I don't think I'd ever be able to correctly identify it as a bomb (btw, these threads should be retitled, ''Black Barney can't spot a bomb to save his life''). I would think that 3/4 flier is evasion mixed with aggression/advantage. Great card, regardless.

Barney, bomb is a generic term. A castable creature with evasion that provides that kind of aggression/advantage is a bomb. You recognize bombs, you just refuse to call them that.

At that point in our game, Casey had some 6/6 flying demon down and swinging and I was worried about that 3/4 guy.

You're doing fine. In draft, the concept is a little easier, as a bomb can be seen as a card you would take first pick of the third pack even if not at all in your colors. That Capsize the guy took is a good example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Jul 2013 15:03 #155517 by metalface13
Is it just me, or are a lot of people playing white in sealed DOTP? There are lots of big flying angels though, I've got like four of them.

More
01 Jul 2013 15:31 #155523 by dragonstout

Black Barney wrote: Yeah in our last Cube last time, Capsize hit the table and one good INSTA-SCOOPED. He refused to play against that card, he thought it was just too good.

What was Rolling Thunder? I think I drafted it, not sure.

Rolling Thunder is XRR, deal X damage divided however you like to whatever you like. Essentially it's Fireball that's much easier and cheaper to split up between multiple targets.

It stings, but sometimes you've just gotta use removal on your own creature in response to Capsize just to get Capsize in the graveyard...also, Capsize is not-so-good against 2-3-mana creatures.

Big fliers are definitely bombs in that Pauper Cube. Any source of repeatable card advantage could also be seen as a bomb in that Pauper Cube. But aggressive decks, which are very very good in that Cube, don't require or even necessarily WANT bombs at all. A deck loaded with a bunch of 2/1s and 2/2s for 1 mana doesn't have any bombs, but is going to win pretty handily. This is part of why BREAD is better for sealed deck: sealed deck games tend to be always be slower than draft games, so you have time to cast your Bombs, Removal is more useful because the opposing deck likely has a small number of important cards vs. a more consistent and redundant draft deck, and Evasion is also more important because the longer games tend to have more board stalls.

More
01 Jul 2013 16:08 #155528 by iguanaDitty
I will add my two cents to all of this. The single best strategy article on Magic I ever read was called "Who's the Beatdown"...sadly most of it is unintelligible unless you played in that era but I'll quote from the middle of the document:

" 1. Who has more damage? Usually he has to be the beatdown deck.
2. Who has more removal? Usually he has to be the control deck.
3. Who has more permission and card drawing? Almost always he has to be the control deck.

If you are the beatdown deck, you have to kill your opponent faster than he can kill you. If you are the control deck, you have to weather the early beatdown and get into a position where you can gain card advantage. "

When building and playing I constantly am asking myself, am I the beatdown or control here? Should I be building my deck or playing it to do damage as quickly as possible? Or should I play for the long game? How does that change based on what cards I have seen my opponent play?

There's a lot more to good play than that but this simple idea of beatdown v control encapsulates a lot of what good Magic play is all about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Jul 2013 16:36 #155529 by Michael Barnes
Is it just me, or are a lot of people playing white in sealed DOTP? There are lots of big flying angels though, I've got like four of them.

It's because white rules...Pacificism, Spirit Mantle, Springtail Hawks, the big angels, Master of Diversion...I won a game against some dude the other day literally with two Hawks on the table that he just couldn't do anything about. The white cards they have in the set can just somebody down.

I'm running into A LOT of Murder and Assassinate. Tons of Slivers, of course.

Sealed is just bangin', I actually bought a couple of extra slots just to play through the campaigns again.

More
01 Jul 2013 16:50 #155532 by dragonstout

iguanaDitty wrote: I will add my two cents to all of this. The single best strategy article on Magic I ever read was called "Who's the Beatdown"

This article is pretty widely acknowledged as probably the best Magic strategy article ever. If you check out that Magic Academy page I linked to earlier, each article has, at the bottom of it, links to a number of other famous/important articles on the topic. I tend to be wary of recommending "Who's the Beatdown" to beginners, though, because I see it VERY often misinterpreted and actually *causing* play errors. The most common misinterpretation is that I see new players think "okay, this deck is always going to be the beatdown" or always control or whatever, when a HUGE point of the article is that "who's the beatdown" is a very fluid thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
01 Jul 2013 17:17 #155534 by metalface13

Michael Barnes wrote: Is it just me, or are a lot of people playing white in sealed DOTP? There are lots of big flying angels though, I've got like four of them.

It's because white rules...Pacificism, Spirit Mantle, Springtail Hawks, the big angels, Master of Diversion...I won a game against some dude the other day literally with two Hawks on the table that he just couldn't do anything about. The white cards they have in the set can just somebody down.

I'm running into A LOT of Murder and Assassinate. Tons of Slivers, of course.

Sealed is just bangin', I actually bought a couple of extra slots just to play through the campaigns again.

Yeah, the white cards in this set are good. But in general, white is my least favorite color to play or play against.

I've got $10 left on my iTunes gift card, been debating buying the warrior expansions for Warhammer Quest or saving them for sealed slots.

More
02 Jul 2013 15:34 #155599 by jeb
White is pretty good, but the removal is weak. Pacifism is decidedly meh. It's removal, so it goes in, but it doesn't do shit against activated abilities. The flyers are nice, and that Master of Diversion at common is a good tempo advantage. I wish he had a fatter butt.

I have two of those 5/6 Angels that allow the opponent to attack OR cast spells before combat and I don't think I want to run either of them. 7cc is getting me what? Enlarge/Overrun defense? I should be dead by then anyway. Best card in my deck is Ring of Wishes.

Ring of Three Wishes - {5}
Artifact
Ring of Three Wishes enters the battlefield with three wish counters on it.
{5}, , Remove a wish counter from Ring of Three Wishes: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Well, that or the Volcanic Geyser I usually get with it.
Volcanic Geyser - {X}{R}{R}
Instant
Volcanic Geyser deals {X} damage to target creature or player.

More
02 Jul 2013 15:46 #155600 by Black Barney
I've having a hard time trying to optimize my white deck in 2014 which is Human/Angels aggro beatdown (I think).

Like I have just remove an oblivion ring (leaving me with 1 in the deck) in order to make room for another 3cc human. I don't know how important Removal is. I already have some 1cc Exile instants and that 3cc Cleric that exiles dudes and the other oblivion ring. It seems like enough but maybe enough is never enough?

More
02 Jul 2013 16:06 #155602 by metalface13

jeb wrote: White is pretty good, but the removal is weak. Pacifism is decidedly meh. It's removal, so it goes in, but it doesn't do shit against activated abilities. The flyers are nice, and that Master of Diversion at common is a good tempo advantage. I wish he had a fatter butt.

I have two of those 5/6 Angels that allow the opponent to attack OR cast spells before combat and I don't think I want to run either of them. 7cc is getting me what? Enlarge/Overrun defense? I should be dead by then anyway. Best card in my deck is Ring of Wishes.

I love Master of Diversion, I just wish he didn't cost 3 cc, or like you said be a little fatter.

I've got that angelic dude. I like how it limits your opponents options. He's kind of like the 60th minute sub when you're 2-0 up and want to control the game (sorry, I play too much Football Manager).

More
02 Jul 2013 20:09 #155623 by MattFantastic
I drafted Return to Ravnica last night with a bunch of sharks. Did better than expected but still got my ass handed to me most games. Looks like I'm back in a weekly league now too! But it's cool cause the dude that's running it is 1. awesome and 2. happy to have whatever cards so you can either buy in or just draft for free and give him the cards after.

Magic really is one of the best games of all time and one my favorites.

More
02 Jul 2013 20:39 #155626 by metalface13

MattLoter wrote: But it's cool cause the dude that's running it is 1. awesome and 2. happy to have whatever cards so you can either buy in or just draft for free and give him the cards after.

That is a cool dude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds