October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Jeb's magical school of Magic

More
30 Jul 2013 23:32 - 30 Jul 2013 23:46 #157437 by Black Barney
thanks!

hey lets put some Zuran Orbs in there for fun.

I think the motivation of my buddies to do these stupid 'theme' nights is to find a really cheap way to play constructed

so let's see how the deck is comin' together, yo

4 Necropotence
4 Knight of Stromgald
4 Abyssal Specter
4 Dark Ritual
4 Soul Burn

4 Icy Manipulator
4 icequake
4 zuran orb
4 hecatomb
4 ashen ghouls

24 swamp

i need to cut 4 cards tho. I guess I'll cut the 4 most expensive cards?
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 23:46 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2013 23:59 - 31 Jul 2013 00:03 #157441 by jeb

Black Barney wrote: oh boy! A lecture!

Did I ever come to wrong place. I'll go ask some friends. Maybe someone who wants to sell some cards too.

Haha, that's fair. It got a little preachy.

I assume you're going to do this, God help you. And, also, me:

Necropotence is pretty ridiculous, but there's no Drain Life in this block (is there?)***, so you don't have a reliable draw/kill engine. Goblins are shitty in this block, as you don't have access to Grenade. Read does have the best hosers (Anarchy, holy shit) That said, the Counterspells are kind of butt. White has real weenie potential and should be examined by someone better than me. Kjeldoran Outpost is a major pain in the ass if that gets online.

If I had to play and I was boring, I would go R/G Aggro, with access to accelerants like Tinder Wall, and Elvish Spirit Guide. Here's some ideas: ESG, Boreal Druid, Fyndhorn Elves, Skred, Bounty of the Hunt, Heart of Yavimaya, Pyrokinesis, Yavimaya Ants, Deadly Insect, Balduvian Horde, Phyrexian War-beast, Incinerate, Tinder Wall, Panglacial Wurm (use Nature's Lore and Into The North), Karplusan Forest, Highland Weald, Snow-Covered Forests and Snow-Covered Mountain.

A COOOOOLER (get it) thing to do is R/G weirdness. RG has some weird shit going on in this block.

Jokulhaups, Jester's Cap, Forgotten Lore, Lodestone Bauble, Braid of Fire, Freyalise's Radiance, Magmatic Core, Pyrokinesis, Ritual of Subdual, Shield Sphere, Soldevi Digger, Stormbind, Stunted Growth, Zuran Orb

...should keep them busy.

***SOUL BURN! Yes, that's the one. Nevermind. Just do that. If you are actually playing ICE AGE BLOCK, i.e, with access to Alliances, make sure you run Lake of the Dead and Contagion.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 00:03 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Jul 2013 00:10 #157442 by Black Barney
omg soul burn is so nuts in mono-black. It combos disgustingly well with necropotence (which might be the 4 cards I cut cuz it's expensive, yo!).

thanks for the great advice. Love to see deck-builders (read: not me) start to get going once given a 'fun' challenge. Yeah, I think d-stout's mono-black is crazy good. The ghouls with hecatomb look hilarious too.

More
31 Jul 2013 08:20 - 31 Jul 2013 08:21 #157454 by dragonstout
I didn't include Zuran Orbs because I'm assuming you're using the Ice Age Block Constructed banned list (which bans Zuran Orb).

Also, I assumed that we're restricted to Ice Age *only*, not the entire Ice Age block.

I understand the idea that these theme nights as being a cheap way to play constructed, since sure, the decks are gonna be cheap, but it's a terrible idea because the decks you guys are building for these theme nights can only be played *once*. You're building disposable decks. Might as well draft if you're gonna do that!

Even if Zuran Orb is not banned, you don't want 4 of them. 2 at most.

Don't cut Necropotence. If you cut that, then play a different deck. That card is literally the entire reason for the rest of the deck.

If you're going to do the Hecatomb & Ashen Ghoul thing, you need WAY more creatures than 12 (and you certainly don't want more than 2 Hecatombs). My guess would be that you *either* want to go the Icy Manipulator & Icequake land denial package, or replace those all with creatures and add Songs of the Damned maybe, with 1-2 Hecatomb? Icy & Icequake probably seems safer. I dunno, beats me. If you do the Icy & Icequake thing I'd probably add the Demonic Consultations to make sure you get your Necropotence ASAP.

FYI, I'm not remotely good as a constructed deckbuilder either.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 08:21 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
31 Jul 2013 14:24 #157466 by jeb
If you have access to the other sets (Alliances, Coldsnap) and go the Ashen Ghoul route, play Insidious Bookworms, Krovikan Horror, and splash for Death Spark. It's like having two of hands of cards after a few turns.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds