October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

A/N Playing the corporation: *goddamnit*

More
13 Jun 2013 10:55 #154045 by Amontillado
We've played the base game 4 times now. Nobody has won yet as corp. The first game the corp might have won, but we totally didn't know what we were doing. My opponent has a runner deck built around Noise and I've tried both the plain Jinteki deck and now a Weyland spruced up with some NBN (to open the way for tag damage scenarios) but so far nothing. The Weyland deck slowed him down by being very defensive with ice on HQ/R&D/Archives, and it is true that I was unlucky in going almost half the game with no more ice than the defense of those, but still I have grave doubts that I know how to play corp well enough to ever win with it. And I waxed all sassy and bitchly about not drawing ice, but the sad truth is much closer to being I don't know what in the bloody hell I need to do.

So I'm hollering my most barbaric, Nancy-Kerrigan-like "WHY?!? WHY?!?" into the the void in the hopes that someone here at F:AT has a soothing balm or something for my chapped ass.

Advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2013 14:59 #154064 by Shellhead
My only experience with Netrunner is playing a lot of games in the old days with a dozen untuned starter decks for each side. I never bought the expansions, and while I did buy a booster box for the base set about a decade ago, I never got around to using those cards to tune decks. So take what I say next with a big grain of salt, especially since the original base set was slightly unbalanced in favor of the corp player. I usually won when I played corp.

Focus on agendas. There is a sweet spot that you need to locate, where you are putting just the right number of agendas in your deck. Too many, and the runner is going to wipe you out easily. Not enough agendas, and the runner is going to just torment you until finally cough up that last agenda he needs to win. And there is a node card that is good to play often... it's basically a dummy agenda that blows up on the runner when he hits it. Maybe tag damage combos are easier to work now, but it was harder to execute back then, and just focusing on agendas was more profitable. For one thing, a completed agenda is often a steady resource or some other comparable reward. So you're eating your cake and having it too. Tag damage is very satisfying, but generally only delivers a win if you commit heavily to it, at the expense of not advancing juicy agendas.

More
13 Jun 2013 15:01 #154065 by JoelCFC25
Noise is pretty brutal if you are playing with just a single core set. If he's getting his technique down, you might have to bite the bullet and spend a turn purging virus counters if he's built up a bunch (say, on Medium for some deep R&D digging). Or investigate some of the Haas-Bioroid fast advance strategies.

How much ice is going into your deck?

More
13 Jun 2013 15:08 #154066 by repoman
From what I hear, the best way to win as Corp is to let Doc Mabuse play the runner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, lj1983

More
13 Jun 2013 16:27 #154085 by mikecl
I haven't played this game a ton, so take the following with a grain of salt, but are you protecting your R&D (Draw Pile) and HQ (Hand) so the Runner can't get easy cards and getting Ice in front of your Archives (Discard Pile) so you can use it to either hide Agendas or fake the Runner out?

The tendency is to stockpile Agendas in your hand while you get ICE up on your remote servers but without HQ protection your hand is up for grabs. In the few games I've played I found it necessary to start with protecting the basics before getting my remote servers going.

I'm not sure this is a good strategy because I haven't played it a lot but some kind of strategy is better than none and it sounds like you didn't have one.

More
13 Jun 2013 17:16 #154091 by JoelCFC25

Shellhead wrote: Focus on agendas. There is a sweet spot that you need to locate, where you are putting just the right number of agendas in your deck. Too many, and the runner is going to wipe you out easily. Not enough agendas, and the runner is going to just torment you until finally cough up that last agenda he needs to win. And there is a node card that is good to play often... it's basically a dummy agenda that blows up on the runner when he hits it. Maybe tag damage combos are easier to work now, but it was harder to execute back then, and just focusing on agendas was more profitable.

If he's playing with only 1 core he has no flexibility with regard to agendas--you have to use all of one faction's agendas plus all the neutral agendas in order to satisfy the agenda point requirements.

Jinteki has Snare! , which works like the old style node you're describing--if accessed from anywhere but Archives, the Corp can pay to hand the Runner a pile of net damage.

Tag punishment is difficult with just a single core. All you really have is Scorched Earth , which is nice but will use up almost all your influence if used out of faction...or scoring a Private Security Force .

The main reason Noise is such an obnoxious Runner is that he can win with so few runs--every virus he installs causes a card to get milled off the Corp R&D, then he can just save up and/or Stimhack for one glory run on Archives to steal agendas.

More
13 Jun 2013 18:23 #154102 by Erik Twice
Chances are you are trying to build a big server and then score safely in it. It doesn't work.

You have to be aggressive in this game. Once you get two pieces of ICE in your remote, slap an agenda and score it while the Runner tries to find his breakers. The Runner will get anywhere given enough time so don't sit back, make him run and waste his money so he's poor when advance your agendas.

Don't give him free R&D runs either. Each will give him a 20% chance of nabbing something, which is too high. Make him pay five credits to get through and you will be much safer.

More
13 Jun 2013 19:37 #154119 by metalface13

Chasch wrote: And I waxed all sassy and bitchly about not drawing ice, but the sad truth is much closer to being I don't know what in the bloody hell I need to do.

Advice?

Add more salt to the following comment as well:
You've got to be a stone-cold bluffer. You can't give anything away. Don't react to what you draw or what you don't draw. You can't afford to give any of that information away. If you can get the runner paranoid that he's going to hit a booby trap, all the better, he'll be too scared to make a run on that unprotected agenda. If you've got an agenda in your hand, keep a full hand in case the runner breaks through on a run, that way the odds are in your favor he won't draw the agenda. This will also make it feel like the runner is making a futile effort. At least that's worked with the 2-3 people I've played with.

More
13 Jun 2013 19:58 #154122 by Shellhead

metalface13 wrote: Add more salt to the following comment as well:
You've got to be a stone-cold bluffer. You can't give anything away. Don't react to what you draw or what you don't draw. You can't afford to give any of that information away. If you can get the runner paranoid that he's going to hit a booby trap, all the better, he'll be too scared to make a run on that unprotected agenda. If you've got an agenda in your hand, keep a full hand in case the runner breaks through on a run, that way the odds are in your favor he won't draw the agenda. This will also make it feel like the runner is making a futile effort. At least that's worked with the 2-3 people I've played with.

Great point. I played a lot of poker during college, long before I got into CCGs. And it always amazed me how many CCG players lacked a poker face. And some of them held their cards like fools, literally tipping their hands at me. Anyway, yeah it's crucial that the corp player must be able to bluff. The runner can wear his heart on his sleeve if he wants, but the corp needs to lock his emotions down.

More
14 Jun 2013 01:42 - 14 Jun 2013 01:43 #154144 by Amontillado
I think maybe we're playing one of the rules incorrectly. The win last night came from a run on archives. When he broke through the ice, he basically looked through all the archives and took the discarded agendas.

But is it as easy as that? The errata seem to indicate that he has to face the effects of the cards in the archive as well. Is that right? Can someone please clarify?
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 01:43 by Amontillado.

More
14 Jun 2013 03:01 #154146 by JoelCFC25
The Corp should never be voluntarily discarding agendas into Archives! Any time a run against Archives is successful and the Runner accesses all the cards in there, he'll steal any agendas he finds.

How exactly have you been playing? Cards in Archives are inactive (rules page 6), they can't do anything to the Runner.

More
14 Jun 2013 04:42 #154149 by Amontillado
He basically yanked all the cards, just riffling through the Archives until he found discarded agendas, then ended the game. In this game my hand filled with agenda after agenda, and all the ice was at the bottom of the deck. I didn't start any remote servers because I couldn't defend them. With Noise, he just keeps face-checking any unprotected remote server and then installing virus after virus. It feels like an unbeatable deck.

But to the point, the errata seem to indicate they are not inactive. The errata quote is:

"Accessing Archives--
When the Runner makes a successful run on Archives, he turns
all cards faceup in Archives before accessing them. Then he
accesses and resolves individual cards one by one, in any order
he wants."

The terms 'access and resolve' indicate to me that it is more than simply a matter of taking tossed agendas and adding them to his hand. Am I wrong?

More
14 Jun 2013 09:17 - 14 Jun 2013 09:19 #154160 by Erik Twice
Yes, it's as "easy" as that. Unless the corp decides to not lose the game, places an Archer, Red Herrings or Ash to defend it then it stops being easy!

Noise is slow, has a mediocre economy and has problems running remotes. You can easily score agendas against him early in the game, so do it! (If you can't defend your remotes, you are doing it wrong already)

Right now all you are going to access in Archives are Upgrades and Agendas. Sooner or later we will see something like www.netrunneronline.com/cards/stereogram-antibody/ and you would access it too.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 09:19 by Erik Twice.

More
14 Jun 2013 13:59 - 14 Jun 2013 14:00 #154166 by JoelCFC25

Chasch wrote: But to the point, the errata seem to indicate they are not inactive. The errata quote is:

"Accessing Archives--
When the Runner makes a successful run on Archives, he turns
all cards faceup in Archives before accessing them. Then he
accesses and resolves individual cards one by one, in any order
he wants."

The terms 'access and resolve' indicate to me that it is more than simply a matter of taking tossed agendas and adding them to his hand. Am I wrong?

Yes, this is pretty significantly wrong. Read the Access Phase section on page 18 of the rules carefully--it gives you specific instructions on what your choices are when you access cards (regardless of what server you're running). You normally have two choices: steal if it's an agenda, or trash, paying the cost on the trash icon. Only cards with a trash icon in the lower right may be trashed--everything else is ignored and returned. Also note that stolen agendas are not added to the Runner's hand, but just placed in their play area somewhere off to the side to indicate that they've been scored.

Archives is a special case--these cards are inactive per the rules, and cannot be trashed (they already have been). The only cards that can hurt you from Archives would be any upgrades installed in its root. You access any installed upgrades in addition to the mix of face-up and face-down cards in the discard pile. Check out Fetal AI and Snare! for examples of two cards that would normally bite you in the ass when you access them but specifically say those effects don't work if the card is accessed from Archives.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 14:00 by JoelCFC25.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds