October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Let's Talk FFGs LCGs

More
01 Aug 2017 13:47 #251963 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Let's Talk FFGs LCGs

Mr. White wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: They are an irrelevant gaming item to me now. If I want that style of game, I'll just go play Magic.

i can understand that in an availability and opportunity to play sense, but does Magic have any sort of setting or game world? Nothing about what I see on the cards has ever excited me.

Pokemon, I get the idea and the decks have creatures and items and trainers, etc...I can feel the world.

Magic seems to be just generic fantasy. The allure of Netrunner is also the cyberpunk world. Joel posted a link to www.cache-refresh.info/ . Maybe that's the way to play?

While it is fairly generic, wizards at least gives players a chance for it not to be by offering sometimes pretty good books to flesh out the background.

This is just something FFG has never been.able to accomplish with terrinoth, despite trying really hard. Their writers just can't pull it off. Midnight the movie anyone?

But it's the gameplay that makes magic good. The turn structure itself, and manipulating it is often the key to success. It can be as shallow or as deep as the players want it to be.

Ffgs lcgs, with the exception of netrunnwr which is also a Garfield design, lack such potential depth. They often aren't bad, but its a hard genre to break with the likes of Magic around. Most CCG players ask "why do I need another card game, when I can get dozens of pick up games with magic?"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2017 22:41 #252150 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Let's Talk FFGs LCGs
I think Magic actually has too many themes/locations. Due to the natures of the "planeswalkers" and all the "planes" they "walk" in, every expansion is themed after some new setting.

Jeff, I think I should send you my old school Netrunner cards.

More
18 Oct 2017 04:02 #255885 by __
Replied by __ on topic Let's Talk FFGs LCGs
I could never get past the weird terms in Netrunner which seemed designed just to be annoyingly obtuse. I probably missed the boat there since everyone seemed to love it.
Star Wars could have been fun but I couldn't past a lot of the artificial nonsense, like, what the hell were edge battles supposed to be (don't google "edging" at work), and a bit like the movies, to be honest, I couldn't care less about any of the characters or areas outside the handful from the original movie.
Lord of the Rings seemed interesting but when I checked it out there were already a bazillion expansions and people talked about multiple core sets as well so I found that off putting.

so I plumped for Arkham Horror, despite the rulebook looking a bit intimidating, you can play with just a starter set, and only 2 copies is needed for the "full" deckbuilding, investigator combos, it seems very cool in theme and experience, can also be played solo, and features very limited options for changing out a handful of cards, and/or upgrading a few cards out of a 30 card deck. That's very appealing to a non LCG expert. Plus its still quite new so not so many expansions yet, which is totally illogical since if I like it, I will no doubt end up buying them all, but somehow seeing how many LotR packs there are is offputting (same with Star Wars I suppose). Plus with Arkham I have no experience of it as a game, or mythos, so it doesnt suffer from the same issues as SW/LotR as being too extensive about stuff I dont care as much about.

I may be wrong, but Arkham seems to be the one most catered towards giving you a "fuller" experience right from the start, rather than knowing with the others that you're playing a very watered down, "setup" version with the expectation of buying into all the expansions before you really get the most out of it.

(I would like to try SW, Netrunner and LotR, but I guess I will see if Arkham gameplay tells me that LCGs are for me, and then I will see exactly what the "Minimum" buyin to get a memorable experience with those other three is, perhaps people here know?)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds