October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

How CCGs got killed and Magic survived

More
04 Dec 2012 20:19 - 04 Dec 2012 20:19 #138924 by Ken B.
I'm playing Magic again. I've been through maybe three purges, so it isn't inertia that's brought me back each time. It's a damned fine game.

In fact, I've spent a lot of time with other CCGs over the years. With the exception of Jyhad, Decipher's Star Wars, WWE Raw Deal, and maybe maybe maybe Marvel/DC Vs., they were all a colossal waste of time and I'd have been better off sticking with Magic.

I'd like Legend of the Five Rings a lot better if it weren't for the 'all or nothing' combat system. Losing your entire army because you lost a battle by one point is the epitome of stupid, and most games it was a scoop after you lost a battle like that. They may have fixed it, and I dug it otherwise, but you talk design flaws....*whistles*
Last edit: 04 Dec 2012 20:19 by Ken B..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2012 20:26 #138925 by SaMoKo
I liked the all or nothing thing. The generals discussed the battle and their plans, came to a decision on who would win, the the losing side would commit mass suicide to spare any unnecessary loss of life. Very elegant and civilized.

Usually though, both sides would take massive losses due to fate cards. Ranged attacks, duels, dick head character abilities, terrain, and so on would usually make a mess of things. (The country became more barbaric over time, and the earlier editions were more civilized, you see.)

More
04 Dec 2012 20:39 #138926 by Shellhead

Ken B. wrote: I'd like Legend of the Five Rings a lot better if it weren't for the 'all or nothing' combat system. Losing your entire army because you lost a battle by one point is the epitome of stupid, and most games it was a scoop after you lost a battle like that. They may have fixed it, and I dug it otherwise, but you talk design flaws....*whistles*

They did fix that, by creating a better version of L5R, known as Legend of the Burning Sands. Standard combat in LBS was kind of like archery attacks in L5R, except that the damage was kind of like trampling damage in Magic. In effect, LBS combat was like Irish Standdown, where the two opponents take turns punching each other. The dueling system was different but still fun in LBS, and there was an additional mechanic allowing you to steal water from opponents, which was very comparable to bleeding in Jyhad, complete with the the potential for stealth and interception. Unfortunately, LBS was released during that crappy experiment called Rolling Thunder, a distribution fiasco that hurt all of Alderac's CCGs at the time.

I do agree with you that not every CCG was worth the time or money. I did like Middle Earth quite a bit, but that game collapsed under the weight of a heavy rule set that got more extreme with each expansion. Jyhad is still the best multi-player CCG ever, but White Wolf got greedy when they took over the license and started escalating the power of the cards. Shadowfist was another great multi-player CCG, but a game between well-matched opponents could potentially go on for several hours. I also enjoyed Netrunner, but plenty has been said about it recently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
04 Dec 2012 21:35 #138929 by Erik Twice
For all we rave about the cultural of the site this thread is straight of the most elitist parts of Boardgamegeek. Seriously guys, why all the negativity? Don't murder the fun! Can't we talk about what we like of games instead of regarding other posters as dumb sheeple who only play a game because it has strong marketing? Or randomness and shiny bits? Or calling each other "Condescending fuck" Because this doesn't read differently from the "Ameritrash debacle" at all, it's the same, only dumber.

I mean, I don't even know what to respond to. I see a lot of posts and witty snippets but I don't even know what's the fuss is all about, really. I don't even know what is my supposed position!

More
04 Dec 2012 21:39 #138930 by Shellhead
I finally gave up on CCGs several years ago when somebody at BGG pointed out that my wallet was potentially a game component in every CCG that I played. To stay competitive, I had to spend at least as much as my opponents, and it could turn into an expensive arms race. And even before that point, it was sometimes hard to find players for any game except Magic because so many people would say "I can't afford to get into another CCG." They weren't saying that Magic was better than anything else, just that they weren't able to afford both Magic and some other CCG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, the_jake_1973

More
05 Dec 2012 07:14 - 05 Dec 2012 07:14 #138950 by tscook

Erik Twice wrote: For all we rave about the cultural of the site this thread is straight of the most elitist parts of Boardgamegeek. Seriously guys, why all the negativity? Don't murder the fun! Can't we talk about what we like of games instead of regarding other posters as dumb sheeple who only play a game because it has strong marketing? Or randomness and shiny bits? Or calling each other "Condescending fuck" Because this doesn't read differently from the "Ameritrash debacle" at all, it's the same, only dumber.

I mean, I don't even know what to respond to. I see a lot of posts and witty snippets but I don't even know what's the fuss is all about, really. I don't even know what is my supposed position!

Sorry to interrupt the hugbox I guess?
Last edit: 05 Dec 2012 07:14 by tscook.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds