October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Magic Online Cube returns, July 11-18

More
09 Jul 2012 16:52 #130297 by dragonstout
The Cube is back online for a week, I love it as much as ever (played my physical Cube finally this weekend, so brain-melting):

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...aily/other/07032012d
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 15:32 - 12 Jul 2012 15:33 #130495 by sornars
How timely, I was a bit hesitant to bump the old topic but I just wanted to say that dragonstout it correct. A Cube is the be-all and the end-all of casual CCG play. I built an Rise of Eldrazi cube with a great deal of his help and managed to get a few drafts in last weekend with a buddy. It was just the two of us but I still had an absolute blast playing the game via draft without feeling I was actively wasting cash on boosters (you see I had already wasted the cash upfront so now that guilt was behind me :P). Anyone interested should browse through this thread - there's a ton of info in there for cube noobs.

fortressat.com/forum/21-ccg--cmg--lcg/12...n-a-cube-draft-to-me
Last edit: 12 Jul 2012 15:33 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
12 Jul 2012 16:56 - 12 Jul 2012 17:03 #130502 by dragonstout
Magic-ese ahead:

I did four Cube drafts yesterday, didn't do that hot but had a blast. My friends and I have a private "force Storm" meme going now, after a bunch of failures with more established decks we've jut decided we're going to force Storm decks whenever possible in the Swiss drafts. We've had a surprising amount of luck with the pretty questionable decks that have resulted, but we're still waiting for the one time when we get THE storm deck and steamroll someone with Brain Freeze.

PS: Storm is truly awful. Definitely, if you want a guarantee of doing *decently*, if not winning, mono-red (or with a splash) burn/aggro is the way to go. Very easy to draft during the actual draft itself, too, as long as you can discipline yourself to take the little cards over the big cards.

Sfunk37: just wait till you get 8 players together! With two players you might want to use more packs than three per person; the rule of thumb is that the fewer players in a draft, the lower the deck power. Part of what's fun about Rise of Eldrazi is being able to draft weird fringe strategies (like a deck revolving around a few Aura Gnarlids, or a blue-red Kiln Fiend/Valakut Fireboar deck w/rebound spells, or a Raid Bombardment-Eldrazi spawn deck, etc. etc.), which just aren't possible in the small cardpool you have with a sealed deck or a two-player draft. But yeah, just looking through the cards fills me with tons of memories and makes me want to draft ROE again *right now*, over and over. "Level Up" is one of the top 5 mechanics of all time, IMO. So many choices!

With two players I would go straight to playing sealed-deck with the cards instead of draft, but YMMV. I'd say draft once you get to 6 players, less than that do sealed-deck. For sealed-deck, just give each player 60 commons, 18 uncommons, and 6 rares/mythics. In fact, this brings up the question of: how to handle the difference between rares and mythic rares in a simu-draft Cube. I HIGHLY recommend trying to keep the number of mythic rares low like they are in normal packs, as they can be VERY bomb-y and swingy. The way to do this is: shuffle up your mythics separately. Take HALF of the mythics, and shuffle them in with the normal rares. Now you've got a stack of rares with an appropriate number of mythics inside as well.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2012 17:03 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
13 Jul 2012 13:10 #130546 by Dair
I was able to cube once on Wednesday. It was a ton of fun. I wound up first picking Reanimate. In the end, I also got Entomb, Buried Alive, Psychotog, Living Death and the two mana black spell that let's both players bring a creature back from the graveyard. I also got Mystic Tutor to find the piece of the combo missing at any given time, and two of the swords. I wheeled an Avacyn (unsurprisingly) and put her in with no way to hard cast her. I also had Skithiryx and a couple other big beaters (one that even deals six damage when entering play). I played Avacyn on turn two or three twice and ended up winning the draft. Reanimate is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't know if I'll get another chance to cube before it is gone (plus, maybe I'll jsut sit back and enjoy my win since I have a full Onslaught draft set). I wish they had chosen a different block than Onslaught to give as prizes. I'll take a free draft, but I can't say I'm all that excited for it.

More
14 Jul 2012 06:16 #130622 by dragonstout

Dair wrote: I don't know if I'll get another chance to cube before it is gone (plus, maybe I'll jsut sit back and enjoy my win since I have a full Onslaught draft set). I wish they had chosen a different block than Onslaught to give as prizes. I'll take a free draft, but I can't say I'm all that excited for it.

Agreed. Annoying that it's not nix tix this time, either.

Congrats on the win, I am jealous of your Cube draft! I have yet to draft a reanimator deck. It's tricky, since you've gotta get fatties, reanimator spells, and ways to get the fatties into your graveyard, but when you've got it it's great (and having tutors, like you had Mystical Tutor, is I think key to all these combo-ish archetypes). The scariest Cube deck I ever played against was an incredibly consistent reanimator deck. I also recently played against a reanimator player who had no idea what they were doing, though, and basically killed themselves by Reanimate on their Terastodon, losing 8 life and trading me 3 of my lands for 3 elephants. Definitely no need to have any way of hard-casting stuff when you've got the sweet package of reanimator stuff you had!

More
16 Jul 2012 12:35 - 16 Jul 2012 12:36 #130704 by Dair
It isn't even nix tix on the Onslaught draft?! That is a complete blowout. Ugh, I guess I will still pony up the the 2 tix for a draft, since I already have the packs. I won't be happy about it though.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2012 12:36 by Dair.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds