October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Wondering if this M:TG format has a name...

More
26 Mar 2012 19:41 #120673 by Stonecutter
Or if anyone else has even heard of it before.

I've only ever played it twice, probably during the Tempest cycle, at a game store in Wisconsin.

It was what was then known as Type 1 which I guess is "Legacy" now. Some people played with standard 60 card decks, but most people had constructed 120-150 card decks just for this format. It was multilayer, everyone for themselves, though I believe alliances were allowed, capped at 5 or 6 people per table. Everyone started with 20 life, when one person died, through any condition, the person with the most life won.

Easily the most fun games of Magic I've ever played, I'd love to try it again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2012 20:46 - 26 Mar 2012 20:46 #120688 by dragonstout
I have actually never heard of it.

Sounds like basically the only difference is that the game ends when a single player is eliminated?

How Euro. :-P

Also: what was once "Type 1" is now "Vintage", and what was once "Type 1.5" is now "Legacy". The difference is that Vintage allows the power 9 and some other insane cards as one-ofs, whereas Legacy bans those.

The popular multiplayer variant now is called "Commander" (or sometimes "Elder Dragon Highlander / EDH"): free-for-all; mostly the Vintage card pool; everyone starts with 30 life; deck size is 100 cards and you can't use more than one copy of any card; you choose a legendary creature to be your commander, and it's kind of like he starts in your hand and always goes back to it when he dies, kind of. Even I had some fun with the preconstructed Commander decks, and I mostly hate multiplayer Magic. But one of the great things about the game is how flexible it is, so more power to you! See if you can get some games started with your variant.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2012 20:46 by dragonstout.

More
26 Mar 2012 22:56 #120702 by Stonecutter
Commander sounds interesting. I generally don't (didn't) like multiplayer magic much either, though that format was a blast.

Honestly seeing your post on the online cube (and going back to the original cube post) is what made me think of it, and I think I'm going to start building a cube. I've looked up a few lists online and I think I could make a pretty decent one spanning from Revised-Urza's Destiny with what I have, and I'd be willing to drop maybe an extra $100 into it to catch up on some of the niftier cards since the Urzas block

More
26 Mar 2012 23:16 #120706 by ufe
Commander was last summer's multiplayer format (planechase and archenemy being the previous two) with five preconstructed decks with previously unreleased cards. Haven't checked recently, but they should still be easy to find, just check Walmart or Target if your LGS is sold out. I believe they were $30 and come with some decent staples (I think sol ring and lightning greaves in every one). Awesome format, but be warned, games can easily stretch into the 90 minute to 2 hour mark.

More
27 Mar 2012 00:04 #120710 by dragonstout
Definitely games run long. But multiplayer free-for-all games of Magic always run long, I don't think that's a problem specific to Commander. Also, while I (and ufe) like the Commander preconstructed decks from last year, you don't even remotely need to buy new shit to play Commander. Those decks just happened to be very good value, and the fact that they were pre-built meant that, feeling lazy, I didn't have to bother building my own deck.

Stonecutter, if you're building your own cube and on a semi-budget, it's not a bad idea to look at Klug's "no-rare" cube for ideas of cheap cards to add (as well as the cards in the official MTGO cube, as a lot of those rares might be inexpensive despite being rares). For the most absurdly expensive cards, a slip of paper printed out from magiccards.info can help (there's a "print proxies" button somewhere on the page, you have to hunt a little for it). And also Artscow exists, though I cannot recommend it due to it being illegal for me to do so.

But I definitely recommend trying out the MTGO Cube. It's easily the cheapest way to play Cube, for one. I'm really excited about it!

More
27 Mar 2012 00:41 #120712 by Bulwyf
Traget might have a few Commander decks floating around as well as Barnes & Noble. They aren't needed at all but like Dragonstout said they are well made and a good value for the fun they deliver.

I've been thinking of making a cube myself to get more milage out of all the cards from old blocks I have lying around. That's one of the best things about Magic, is all the formats of play it has.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds