October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Necromunda: Underhive

More
12 Nov 2017 20:10 #257515 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic Necromunda: Underhive
So preorders are up. $125 is cheaper than I thought for the base game but I guess it's because you have to buy the book with the campaign rules separate? Are the gang cards they're selling separately the same as the ones in the base game?

Still debating between this and Shadespire. I can get Shadespire and both extra teams for the same as the Necromunda base game but I'm more interested in the lore and models in Nexromunda and the cardplay of Shadespire sort of turns me off.

Any word on the timeline for more Necromunda factions? It's going to be a bit hard to pull off campaigns with only two factions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2017 22:04 - 12 Nov 2017 22:06 #257516 by Michael Barnes
They are saying Q1 for the next gang, with quarterly-ish releases. But there will be PDF stats and rules for all of the original gangs available day 1.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2017 22:06 by Michael Barnes.

More
13 Nov 2017 09:13 - 13 Nov 2017 09:13 #257528 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Necromunda: Underhive
It arrived here on Friday and I've just really dug into the bits of terrain (walls/doors/barricades) which are stellar. They'll work really well with the sector mechanicus stuff in a 3D battlefield as well.

Haven't had time to assemble the minis yet as my daughter turned 4 yesterday and the weekend was consumed with a family party. I'm heading to BGG.Con tomorrow so likely won't get them together until next week.

The expansion book surprised me a bit, it's a softcover and it's not too big.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2017 09:13 by charlest.

More
17 Nov 2017 00:27 - 17 Nov 2017 03:44 #257778 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Necromunda: Underhive
Played about 3 games of Necromunda and had pretty good time.
The best thing, comparing to Shadow Wars, is that it brings even more narrative, memorable situations and amps this ridiculous-cinematic-unhinged-violence vibe. There was cool stuff happening constantly, and it just lends itself to make up stupid little stories on the go (in out first game, two gangers basically recreated that scene from A Better Tomorrow 2, reloading and all). With Shadow Wars, you feel like you're leading a team of elite operatives. In Necromunda, I felt like in charge of a bunch of dumb-asses.
Partly, this is because of alternate activations. It is more involved for both players and is also more appropriate to these semi-organized gangs as opposed to kill-teams. (As a side-note, I kinda wish alternate activation system was implemented for 40K and AoS now. It would certainly solve the problem of waiting and alpha striking).
Weapons are also way more unreliable.
There are also more rules for hilarious stuff to happen (which makes it more fiddly than SW in some respects). My favorite is being able to push gangers into precipices, pools of acid and each other.
On the other hand, close combat and cover are way more simple and intuitive than SW, and it makes the game flow faster.
Escher and Goliath seem to be pretty well balanced against each other, too.

Also, we played on the board, which made it feel less of a miniature game and more of a boardgame. You still move in inches, but it is definitely a Dudes&Dudettes in a Corridor Game. I haven't played one of these in a long time, so can't compare with the competition. But of the 3 scenarios we played, I liked all of them. And specifically the fact that the scenarios include terrain placement. So, they are tighter and intrinsically more balanced than those of SWA, and are a better way to start with the game (but also very likely to become obsolete once you've played them several times).

The minis are just great, very detailed, lots of personality - and smaller than I thought - not quite primaris big, but unfortunately not as small as to fit a 40K army seamlessly.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2017 03:44 by Vlad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, hotseatgames, celticgriffon, stoic

More
17 Nov 2017 15:27 #257802 by Michael Barnes
Can't wait. I'm getting the base and Gang War from MM next week. I stupidly ordered the Bulkheads, Objectives and both card sets, I didn't see that they were all in the box. So I got that cancelled. I did get two of the new Plasmic Regulator kits, I _think_ that two of those will create a lower walkway. You put the Sector Mechanicus walkways into them, it looks like. I also got the Plasma tubes or whatever they are called. I love stuff like that.

Totally painting my Escher gang styled after The Misfits from Jem and the Holograms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames

More
20 Nov 2017 09:16 #257907 by charlest
There's been discussion that the objective cards you can order are different than the ones in the box, wonder if that's true?

More
23 Nov 2017 13:29 #258135 by celticgriffon
Replied by celticgriffon on topic Necromunda: Underhive
Someone posted a pic of the gang cards on fb. Can't find the post at the moment. The gang cards sold separately are different than the few gang specific cards in the box. Hopefully enough people buy two copies of the box set that the cards go relatively cheap on ebay.

What I am mostly concerned with is how they handled close combat with the new activation system. I have a feeling it is going to be a mess. Hoping someone can prove me wrong.

And is anyone watching the shit show drama coming out of the mini war gaming review? Get the popcorn ready folks.

More
27 Nov 2017 08:56 #258237 by charlest
I didn't find close combat problematic at all (I've played three games so far). Why do you think it's a problem with the new activation system?

I got over the lack of true heavies, vertical terrain (although I have the supplement, and limit of two gangs pretty quick. The new system is fantastic.

The only thing that really bothers me about this release is that it looks like the Orlocks will be the only gang featured in Gang War 2. If they piecemeal the rules out like this, it will be super annoying.

They're setting it up to be more like 40k where maybe you just own one or two gangs. The annoyance is that there are additional rules in the Gang War 2 that make it desirable for people not playing Orlocks. Stuff like new 2D terrain and the hired guns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Dec 2017 01:04 #259129 by Vlad
Played a game of Escher vs Delaque (old models, obviously, but exquisitely painted as opposed to my half-finished dudettes), on 3D terrain and with campaign rules. It was a good game, with lots of violent funny stuff that happens so naturally in necromunda (the absolute highlight being a couple of Delaque juves who blew themselves up while trying to open a crate). We didn't notice anything wrong about pitching an old gang against a new one (we also assembled our crews based 100% on cool factor and no tactical considerations, so internet will probably prove us wrong tomorrow by mathematically proving how everything is totally unbalanced). I do not plan on approaching Necromunda from any power gaming perspective, but more like an RPG, so screw maths.
My big complaint with Necromunda is how it is packed. My friend has no interest in Goliath or Escher, so he's not buying the core set. But he would like to have access to the rulebook (for some reason), which is not available separately (and it is unlikely that it will be in any near future).

On the other hand, I do like Sector Mortalis tiles. The game is shorter (both to set up and play) and is more focused than playing on 4x4 mat (and, yeah, I hear that it doesn't benefit Escher, but I either didn't notice or do not care yet). Campaign rules allows to play both 2 and 3D, and we'll be most likely alternating between the two modes.

More
15 Dec 2017 09:07 #259143 by charlest
I think we will eventually see the rules separate. The thing which is odd is that you really want the generic cards from the core set as well though.

More
15 Dec 2017 13:13 #259177 by Vlad
I said yesterday that we didn't notice anything weird about Delaque, but now I realized that their Leader is equipped with Flak armour (+6 save), while their Champions AND Gangers have mesh (+5), wtf?

More
05 Feb 2018 10:21 #262831 by Pug
Replied by Pug on topic Necromunda: Underhive
I picked up a copy a week ago while I was on vacation for a discount (some torn plastic), and have begun assembling the Escher gang... am I the only one who has had trouble with these? All the small bits... I am finding it tough to manipulate them, and tweezers don't seem to help much, they just pop out! I am also afraid of melting small details because of the plastic glue... Built about six so far, but I feel it's going to take me a few weeks to do it. I appreciate the models themselves, but it is fiddly. Looking forward to playing it though.. eventually.

More
08 Mar 2018 22:12 - 08 Mar 2018 22:13 #265142 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Necromunda: Underhive
pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

Last edit: 08 Mar 2018 22:13 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
08 Mar 2018 22:40 #265145 by Michael Barnes
Almost definitely won’t be. It’s the same developer that made the Mordheim PC/console game, which is TERRIBLE. Almost unplayable.

Not like I won’t still give it a shot though...

More
09 Mar 2018 08:54 #265170 by charlest
Anybody messing with the Orlocks? I've gotten in a couple games with them and they're pretty sweet. Dat harpoon gun.

The miniatures themselves are great, of course. Lots of character and I love the different heads/facial expressions.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds