October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk: 40K

More
11 Sep 2017 13:54 #254061 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk: 40K
In line with what you just said, we're talking here about lists and I rant on efficiency from my experience, but this is totally not the way I build my army, nor the way that I play.
My whole thing is painting the models I like and then making them work on the battlefield. I become sort of aware of what works better or worse through playing, not analyzing the stats. And, by the way, this totally works at least for 700-1200 pts, in a sense that when I lose a fight, my immediate thought is not "I should change my list", but "what could I have done differently with my dudes?" Which is why I like 40K better than AoS (where I often have the feeling that I am playing a list vs another list, as opposed to, you now, a battle).
At 1500 it becomes trickier. I notice that I have little in terms both in terms of armor and reliable anti-armor. My Taurox Prime is a good anti-tank, but it is glass cannon of sorts, and kind of the same applies to those scions with plasmas. Usually, if by turn 2 my opponent still has significant armor capabilities, I am usually toast. I should probably add another 1-2 Tauroxes Prime to have a reliable anti-tank force, but I just don't want to a) paint them, b) introduce myself as a Taurox Prime-spammer.
I'm thinking one Basilisk, because big cannon and I used those a lot in Dawn of War games. And because you guys are already doing tanks.

By the way, here is the 1000 pts list I used the last couple of games:

2 Commanders
1 Tempestor Primer w/ rod
1 Lord Commissar
4x cadian squads (1 lascannon, 3 heavy bolters, different special weapons)
2x scions (10 men each, 7 plasmas and 1 grenade launcher between the 2)
1xBullgryns (Slabshields+Mauls)
1x Vindicare Assassin
1x heavy team (mortars)
1x Taurox Prime (2 autocannons, battle cannon, storm bolter)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2017 22:17 - 13 Sep 2017 22:18 #254213 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Let's Talk: 40K
So I checked around and for the size of my city it is absolutely stunning how few places there are to play 40k, I lived in a town 1/10th the size and the scene was double where I am at now. But that won't stop me from building up a small force for the time being. Something else that is stupid is the lack of available plasma guns floating around for conversions, even if I wanted to pay bits stores premium prices they are pretty much all sold out. For the time being that means my meltas will count as plasma in my 500 point list.

I know I am in the minority but I love building and converting my old metal minis over plastic or resin, I feel more accomplished like it came from a creative place and not just sticking two pieces together from a directions sheet. To that end tonight I based and converted a Scion Prime and 5 man Scion squad with sgt. with plasma and two dudes holding meltas. (Are we putting non-painted but converted models up in the painting thread? Any interest in that?). Tomorrow I will likely prime them and hopefully paint them up sometime this weekend. It Begins!
Last edit: 13 Sep 2017 22:18 by Da Bid Dabid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Sep 2017 22:43 - 13 Sep 2017 23:21 #254215 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Let's Talk: 40K
Plasma is pretty hot in 8th, in general. Could explain the scarcity.

I'm a "build by instructions" guy.. haven't really had the desire to convert anything. It was a Big Deal that I wanted my Redemptor to have more of an in motion pose. It looks OK, but I almost fucked a leg up completely.

My AM stuff is arriving. Built one of the Leman Russes today, I love that little thing. Just slightly whimsical.

I think I'm going with Scout Sentinels in my batallion. They cost less than armored, but they get the 9" Scout move. I'm thinking about heavy flamers on them (auto hits since they'll be out of range of any assistance) and chainsaws because chainsaws. I also kind of like the open top on them- I want to see the dudes as much as possible in this army, they have so much character.

But yeah, both the cheaper than average Start Collecting and Cadian Defense Force came mysteriously straight from GW with full price invoices in the box. Very shady. I think I should report it.

Deciding on which way to go with Tyranids, I really want to stick to the "Nidzilla" thing other than what the Tervigon births. Probably go with:

Hive Tyrant (winged)
Old One Eye
Tervigon (pregnant with 20x Termagants)
9x Warriors
2x Carnifex
3x Venomthropes
Exocrine
Mawloc

Start Collecting comes with Gargoyles so they may go in there too despite not working with the big fuck-off monster theme. The only thing is that the big fuck-off monsters are big fuck-off expensive. I would like to get a Tyrannocyte too, I like the idea of a big blobby bio-drop pod.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2017 23:21 by Michael Barnes.

More
13 Sep 2017 23:36 #254220 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk: 40K
That's because now there's no risk at all if using the standard shot, which is more or less on par with the old plasma.

The start collecting for Nid is very weird, should have been gaunt or hormas. My theory is that they actually trying to phase out lots of old models that are not moving. The discount sets (start moving, troop + transport) seem to do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Sep 2017 14:49 #254714 by Vlad
www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/24/d...box-and-a-new-codex/

Imperial Guard Codex upcoming, praise the emperor. Instead of new minis, we'll be getting advice on how to kitbash cadians, praise the emperor.

More
24 Sep 2017 17:34 #254720 by Da Bid Dabid
This is good news. My 40k enthusiasm cooled off just a bit due to finding it difficult finding a game, but this codex news should restart the drive. I did finish my first 5 man squad of Scions and modeled up a Tempestor Prime and stripped the paint of my Russ Demolisher. So after another night of painting I should have my 500 point list fully painted and ready to go. I also found a pretty active facebook group for the area so finding some learning games should be easier to do. Let's hope the Valhallan rules are more interesting than "here are more ways to grind out tons of conscripts" as parts of their fluff suggests.

More
24 Sep 2017 18:07 #254721 by Michael Barnes
How about that Moonbase Klasius set...what a great idea.

More
24 Sep 2017 18:29 #254723 by Vlad
In my last couple of games, I heard some bitching about IG being OPed, and hopes that the upcoming Codex would nerf it.
Which is total BS, in my opinion. Yes, IG can table their opponent by sheer numbers, which is kind of the point of IG, but you deserve it if you don't have any means of crowd control in your list. Flamers and gatling guns are devastating against IG, for example. The same way you need anti-tank weapons. Or, in short, a balanced list.

I am very interested in Moonbase Klasius set, but will wait for reviews. It is all about the quality of those card tiles.

More
24 Sep 2017 19:49 #254726 by Sevej
Here's the thing about Klasius and GW-style ruins in general: they don't look like cities.

It's been bothering me lately. Yes, they're easy to make and use. But really when I see pictures of war-torn cities, most of them are filled with still intact buildings. If there's any damage, usually it's on the side facing the road. GW buildings are invariably damaged from the center/inside out.

This really soured me on the city of building corners. FFG had the right idea when they made that building for Dust.

More
25 Sep 2017 12:21 #254754 by Vlad
It is a good point.On the other hand, you can build differently, in particular if you buy several kits, don't use the instructions and use pliers. I've played with GW scenery that was built closer to actual bombed buildings (center intact and damage on the sides). It does look more authentic, but it is also lot more work and does not make such a big difference gameplay-wise. If dudes are inside the building, it is still cover, even if there's a wall missing and they're exposed (at least, that's how I played).It does make difference in SWA, where cover is actual cover. On the other hand, GW corner buildings also make it easier to stuff miniatures inside. With a more elaborate construction, it takes minutes to accommodate your troops.

More
25 Sep 2017 21:13 - 25 Sep 2017 21:16 #254791 by Sevej
If I ever gonna have an urban table again, I'd fill it with impassable, intact buildings. That will create interesting passages/approaches (around them) instead of just areas of cover. Probably let them on the roof if I'm inclined to. And then 1 or 2 GW style ruins. The rest will be scatter terrain on areas on the streets.

Right now I'm just considering the classic hills & forest table...
Last edit: 25 Sep 2017 21:16 by Sevej.

More
26 Sep 2017 10:45 #254809 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Let's Talk: 40K

Vlad wrote: www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/24/d...box-and-a-new-codex/

Imperial Guard Codex upcoming, praise the emperor. Instead of new minis, we'll be getting advice on how to kitbash cadians, praise the emperor.

The kitbashes look sweet!

More
26 Sep 2017 12:35 #254818 by Michael Barnes
I love that they have art for the kitbashes...have they ever done that before?

Ventrillian Nobles...I'm thinking about making a little detachment of those dudes.

More
28 Sep 2017 13:52 - 28 Sep 2017 13:53 #254967 by Da Bid Dabid
www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/28/r...8gw-homepage-post-2/

So can someone who has actually played 8th edition tell me what this means for my Valhallans? Less need for a Commissar and maybe certain vehicles become more effective?

Shoot into combat seems nice.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2017 13:53 by Da Bid Dabid.

More
28 Sep 2017 14:42 - 28 Sep 2017 14:44 #254968 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic Let's Talk: 40K

Shooting into combat does seem pretty nice, but damn does this Strategem seem nuts. Granted, I don't have any of the codecies so have only been playing with the 3 basic Strategems, but regenerating an entire unit seems pretty damn strong for 2 CP. It's only infantry, but seems to me it could get you back a heavy weapons squads. Haven't played with or against IG this edition, so I'm not sure what's good anymore.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2017 14:44 by ufe20.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds