October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Jumper

More
21 Feb 2008 22:50 #3162 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Jumper
Adrian Bolt wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:
"There was a book?"
Steven Gould, Jumper, Tor, 1992. He also wrote Wildside in 1996, about a parallel world. Both are excellent.

MWChapel wrote:
"Not just a book, but one of the top 100 most banned books in the US "
I guess "banned" reads better than "most frequently challenged"? I've been wracking my brain as to what possible objection there could be to Jumper. The American Library Association website doesn't appear to give the reasons. The only thing I could come up with is maybe he was confused with Stephen Jay Gould, the evolutionary biologist.

May have to do with the "magic" ability thing, like the fuss over Potter. I'm curious why number 98 is there. That one looks like a good read to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2008 04:00 #3188 by Druen Kree
Replied by Druen Kree on topic Re:Jumper
that top 100 most banned books in the US kind of makes me sad.

More
22 Feb 2008 19:34 - 22 Feb 2008 19:35 #3245 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Jumper
Druen Kree wrote:

Probably the same fuckers that developed Websense. And what's funny, is that the people who are generally behind banning these books are typically the kinkiest fucks on the planet.....
Last edit: 22 Feb 2008 19:35 by mikoyan.

More
25 Feb 2008 08:14 #3335 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Jumper
I've seen it now and it's not as dire as I was dreading from the trailer. It's the usual Hollywood action flick special effects no-brainer fare, better than average but hardly outstanding. Fun but forgettable, as are most of them these days.

More
25 Feb 2008 09:38 #3336 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Jumper
mikoyan wrote:

Druen Kree wrote:

Probably the same fuckers that developed Websense. And what's funny, is that the people who are generally behind banning these books are typically the kinkiest fucks on the planet.....

It has to be the same people who try to ban these books year after year, because I'm actually amazed at how many of those books I've read in school myself.

Now, I have to admit that this list is almost 10 years old, so things might have changed in the intervening time, but you'd think that there would be a lot more SF/F/Horror novels on the list than there are. Why are these people concerned about The Chocolate War (good book, btw) when they should be more concerned about more direct affronts on their sensibilities, such as Dune or The Golden Compass?

--Mike L.

More
27 Feb 2008 01:33 #3467 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Jumper
I made the mistake of seeing it as well. I can't say I hated it, but it had two big problems that pretty much ruined it for me. 1: It suffered from Hype-itis. In other words, every scene in the film had been shown in previews, so it felt like I was watching a preview only where each scene had been extended from 3-5 seconds to 3-5 minutes. 2: Why the hell would a "jumper" not use guns? These psychos are trying to stab you with a knife, and for some reason you're going to use a flamethrower that conveniently takes so long to fire that everyone can get out of the way, rather tha poofing into a gun store, grabbing an Uzi or Shotgun, poofing back to where you want to fight, teleporting behind a guy, blasting him and teleporting away, and then repeating until 30 guys trying to kill you is reduced to 30 perforated corpses. It's not like the scottish jumper was opposed to killing the "Templars" or whatever they were, since he dumped one into a shark-pool. It was just a stupid decision made so that it would be more like a kid movie. You could have had a whole crazy scene where the jumper is messing with the bad guys' heads, as he kills them one by one. But instead it's written for toddlers or something. Bleh.

More
27 Feb 2008 01:58 #3469 by hacksword
Replied by hacksword on topic Re:Jumper
I keep reading the title of this thread as "Juniper".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds