October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What are your plans for 2018?

More
02 Jan 2018 08:59 #260008 by KingPut
I created a Nerd Fitness character. Nerd fitness is a sight created by a guy into D&D or WoW that wanted to get fit. People create characters with quest like run a 5K, squat 100 lb, do 50 push up, go camping etc. when you complete a task you get experience points when you get enough exp. points you level up. I’m not totallly into this type of thing because eventually they’ll want my money. But for now it’s just a fun playing around with some goals or quests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2018 10:48 #260019 by SuperflyPete

Dr. Mabuse wrote: 2017 was breakout year for me: 1 year mark of seperation, a return to theatre after 12 years, quit my full-time job which in turn made me change my debt reduction strategy, which in turn meant paying off my debt 4 years early (at a fraction of the total). And fell in love with a Facebook friend's photos from her trip to Iceland.

All that preamble is leading up to 2018.

Gonna do more acting (perhaps out of town), save money for the first time in 20 something years and take a solo trip to Iceland.

You need to make sure Cincinnati and/or Louisville are on the list of places you'll be doing shows. Just sayin. At least you'll have a place to stay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
02 Jan 2018 14:53 #260050 by mads b.
We finally moved into our new house in November, and while the house is brand new the garden and especially the community we are a part of is gonna take some work. We are 20 families in a newly built "village" kind of thing, and we hope to have communal dinners and all that jazz up and running. But even though the other families are nice and cool, creating a community and agreeing on things can be tough - especially when it comes to finding money to, for instance, build our community house.

Other than that I have a couple of books coming out. They are for kids, but I also hope to maybe write my second novel in 2018. And then I'm hoping to kickstart a board game. It's quite special and I think it can be a big hit, but we will see. And on top of that my freelance gig as a game designer turned into a steady job, and that's gonna take up some of my time as well. But having steady income is quite nice, especially now that we have a mortgage to pay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, Cranberries, SuperflyPete, the_jake_1973

More
02 Jan 2018 17:12 #260063 by Matt Thrower

mads b. wrote: Other than that I have a couple of books coming out. They are for kids, but I also hope to maybe write my second novel in 2018. And then I'm hoping to kickstart a board game. It's quite special and I think it can be a big hit, but we will see. And on top of that my freelance gig as a game designer turned into a steady job, and that's gonna take up some of my time as well. But having steady income is quite nice, especially now that we have a mortgage to pay.

Dude! What's your first novel?

More
02 Jan 2018 18:35 #260068 by Black Barney
Welp, i made it to day two before caving on the no smoking thing. Look I don’t want to call out big tabacco or anything but I think there’s something in these things

More
03 Jan 2018 04:30 #260080 by mads b.

MattDP wrote: Dude! What's your first novel?

It's called Skyggen over Mundstrup - skyggen meaning shadow and Mundstrup being a danification of Innsmouth. It's a horror comedy about moving to a small village far from the big city, and it's very much inspired by Lovecraft. So far only in Danish, though - I don't know how well the suburbian melancholy will translate, but maybe it's worth a shot. Only thing is the publishing business across the pond seems like a jungle. And while it hasn't been a big hit or anything, it convinced me that I can in fact write long stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, jur, Cranberries

More
03 Jan 2018 08:54 #260083 by the_jake_1973

mads b. wrote: We finally moved into our new house in November, and while the house is brand new the garden and especially the community we are a part of is gonna take some work. We are 20 families in a newly built "village" kind of thing, and we hope to have communal dinners and all that jazz up and running. But even though the other families are nice and cool, creating a community and agreeing on things can be tough - especially when it comes to finding money to, for instance, build our community house.

That sounds amazing. It is a concept that has really needs to happen more, at least in my immediate part of the country. it doesn't seem like we, the collective we, get to know our neighbors anymore. I know I am romanticizing the notion a bit, but more contact is better than none in my book. There are new neighbors two doors down that I haven't met yet and that is a sad thing.

More
03 Jan 2018 09:28 - 03 Jan 2018 09:29 #260088 by SuperflyPete
I know every neighbor within 4 houses in either direction on both sides of the street. I’m legit friends with 6 of the 17. Two of the people have a spare key to my house and watch our pets when we travel, and we have sets of keys to their houses for the same reason, plus garage door codes. Over the summer I make gourmet meals for the same two families while everyone is chilling at my immediate neighbor’s pool.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 09:29 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
03 Jan 2018 09:44 #260089 by the_jake_1973
Well aren't you a mutherfuckin' hero, Superfly. ;D

More
03 Jan 2018 09:50 #260090 by charlest
My goals for 2018:

Lose weight
Be generally happier/more thankful on a day to day basis
Be a better role model for my daughter
Continue to be one of the top members of my team at my software development day job
Land another writing gig at a large venue such as Polygon/Paste/IGN
Expand my role and succeed at my newest gig at Tabletop Gaming Magazine
Somehow push past our 1200 listener ceiling at Ding & Dent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, the_jake_1973

More
03 Jan 2018 12:16 #260098 by Shellhead
In terms of big plans, I have been spinning my wheels in recent years, waiting for my girlfriend to get her career started so we can pay down some debt and afford to get married and have a kid. It has been over three years since she graduated with a degree in marketing, but she currently just has two part-time jobs, one in marketing and one in customer service. Neither job has benefits, and neither job pays well. I survived a long stretch of unemployment while dealing with some house issues and still supporting her in school by taking on a load of credit card debt. My original plan for 2018 was to spin my wheels some more, and slowly pay down the credit cards while hoping for my girlfriend to find a job. The unemployment rate here in the Twin Cities is only slightly above 2%, but she is very picky for someone with a weak resume.

My mom died on Thanksgiving, and that changed my perspective. I realize that I can't control much of what is going to happen, so I should just focus on things that I can affect personally. I probably won't be getting married and having a kid, and that will be okay. I probably can continue to pay down some debt whether or not my girlfriend does find a good job. I will do what I reasonably can, and I will try to enjoy life as much as I can on a tight budget. Fortunately, I have always lived a fairly modest lifestyle, and some of my hobbies are very cheap or at least I have done enough past spending that additional spending is not necessary.

Then I found out that I will be inheriting some money. The exact amount is unclear, because there are some estate issues to address and there will be some tax due. But it appears that it will be enough to pay off all my credit card debt, save some money, and have some left over to help my girlfriend replace her 14 year-old vehicle with over 200,000 miles on the odometer. It's not enough of a game changer to make a wedding and a kid affordable, but it helps.

More
03 Jan 2018 12:28 - 03 Jan 2018 12:32 #260101 by Sagrilarus
You can get married for about $50 in most states. And there may be tax benefits to it as well, though if I recall correctly you're an accountant so you probably know more than me.

Estates can take months or even years to execute.

The question I'm leading up to is this -- why are you waiting? You're never going to have as much money as you want and there isn't some official checklist you need to fill out before taking the next step. I'm 53 and I still feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 12:32 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, Pat II

More
03 Jan 2018 13:27 #260103 by the_jake_1973
Elope. The wedding is just there so people can party on your dime.
Also, if your SO is set on a diamond, look at moissanite. A brighter stone for a small fraction of the cost.
If you want to be married, don't let money stand in the way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
03 Jan 2018 13:47 #260105 by SuperflyPete
I got married in 96. Went to the courthouse. Bailiff was my witness. Cost me 78$ and they validated parking.

Been married 21 years as of December. Took the money we saved from not having a big bullshit wedding, went on a bad ass honeymoon, and bought a house the following year.

Big weddings are fun and all, especially if you’re not paying for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
03 Jan 2018 14:20 #260108 by mads b.

the_jake_1973 wrote: That sounds amazing. It is a concept that has really needs to happen more, at least in my immediate part of the country. it doesn't seem like we, the collective we, get to know our neighbors anymore. I know I am romanticizing the notion a bit, but more contact is better than none in my book. There are new neighbors two doors down that I haven't met yet and that is a sad thing.

We wanted to do this for several reasons, one of them being that we wanted more day to day contact with other adults. With three kids (aged 8, 5 and 1) we don't regurlarly see friends, and this seems to be a good way to do that. But we obviously also like to - in the long run - have communal dinners three days every week, plant an orchard, beekeeping, maybe having a few goats and all that. We all still have our own houses and gardens, but we also have about an acre of land for other projects. And having our house built has been a long and annoying journey (the company went bankrupt which meant a lot of extra time, worries, and lawyer fees), so we are pretty happy about finally being a part of it. And luckily the other people living here aren't idots and some have even looked happy when I talked about my collection of board games :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds