October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Thank you F:AT...

More
02 Jun 2017 16:16 #249374 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Thank you F:AT...
NoGoblinsAllowed is for Magic players, i really like it there. The Duels subforum is where all the fun is

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2017 16:23 #249375 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Thank you F:AT...
The Shadow War area on BGG is pretty good, but that's probably because it's championed by Joel Eddy and Charlie Theel.

More
02 Jun 2017 17:37 #249380 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Thank you F:AT...
I've tried the r/boardgame thing at Reddit. It's a cacophonous mess. There are lots of folks there though, which is nice. I always had a nice time in the ARKHAM HORROR threads at BGG, racing with ColtFan76 to answer rules questions (and losing). The TITAN threads there are solid as well.

The only other communities I have any regular exposure to are BoingBoing, Twitter, and ArsTechnica.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Jun 2017 18:10 - 02 Jun 2017 18:10 #249382 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Thank you F:AT...
I like Arstechnica too, but the (IMHO) inhumane tech geek libertarian thing really grated on me at some point so I stopped going.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2017 18:10 by Gary Sax.

More
02 Jun 2017 18:14 #249383 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Thank you F:AT...
I think there is a high degree of quality to be found on bgg, but the signal gets lost in the noise.

The main drawback of small communities such as this is how cults of personality develop. It happens on larger sites as well, but its less easy to ignore in smaller communities.

I'm a member of many online miniature gaming forums, but rarely visit them anymore other than to lurk and research and ask the occasional question if need be.

Face book groups are pretty banal, even when anonimity is taken away, which I fi d to be interesting since people say anonimity is why we get such trolls on online fora.

I dont play nearly enough games lately to include myself in much relevant discussion here, sadly. I hope to rectify that, but real world problems prevent such pass times ATM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Black Barney, Erik Twice

More
03 Jun 2017 11:01 #249386 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Thank you F:AT...
I've been lurking a long time, but this thread made me a little sad, so I thought I'd sign up and say hi. My first post. I've been reading F:AT for a couple of years now and I love it. That is all.

More
03 Jun 2017 12:18 #249388 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Thank you F:AT...
You know, now that u mention it, It did feel like we were being watched
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, GorillaGrody

More
03 Jun 2017 16:10 #249390 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Thank you F:AT...

Gregarius wrote: I still frequent BGG, but mainly just for the database, blogs, and groups of friends I've made. I vastly prefer the game discussion that occurs here.

I'm curious, though-- how pervasive is the BGG mindset? I completely agree with the criticisms already mentioned, but has anyone tried having a thoughtful discussion in a particular game's forum? Something like Earth: Reborn, as an example. I really have no idea, so it's an honest question. I just wonder if the vast majority of BGGers stay on the surface and hot new games, and maybe some valuable conversations happen somewhere in the bowels.

On a separate but related note, BGG is also quite a bit of a bubble. There are huge sections of boardgamers who ignore it. I know Reddit has quite a large group, but I'm too old to try to fit in over there. Do any of you frequent any other game sites?

I'm putting on my asshole armchair psychologist hat here

BGG isn't as pervasive as it thinks it is, but my god, everyone who goes there and gets into it develops a brain disease, at least for a few years, where they become one of those BGG people. r/boardgames is the exact same in this sense. Priggish and pedantic.

I think a big part of the problem is that the people who care enough about boardgames to seek out places like BGG and r/boardgames are the kinds of people who *buy* boardgames, and the kinds of people who buy boardgames are the kinds of people who can afford to buy boardgames, which either means people without kids, which has a huge overlap with antisocial (male) nerds, or, if they have kids, the managerial class.

Now those two groups produce more reactionaries than just about any other two subsets of society, so even the ones who have enough patience to play boardgames still come from those same cultures where everything triggers their resentment and their. need. to. be. right. about. every. single. thing.

So you have these... assholes... who cannot ever stand being challenged, and you combine it with a dozen or so anointed tastemakers who need excited viewers and suddenly everything new is always amazing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, boothwah, hotseatgames, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Erik Twice, Gregarius, JEM

More
03 Jun 2017 21:47 #249395 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Thank you F:AT...
In the early days of /r/boardgames I was fairly active there. I wouldn't call myself a power user or anything, but it suffered like BGG did from the explosion of the hobby's popularity. It became very difficult to post anything that took a critical eye toward the hobby, or that championed games that were not "in." I took enormous amounts of crap there for trying to tell people Talisman was good, and I also took a surprising amount of guff when I wrote those articles several years ago about the lack of historical roots in the hobby. I don't know why they got defensive about that kind of thing, but there it is.

There have been a couple of Facebook groups where I've been active, but they have all been composed of friends who I know in real life. We would frequently post to find nights to game together, or to share things we found funny. Those were a lot of fun, but were basically just reflections of my friends in real life.

The collector bug is really prevalent in this hobby, and has been for a long time. But it definitely feels like it "won," and those of us who would rather use board games as a vessel to make friends are left wondering what happened. That's how I feel anyway. I swear, every move makes it harder and harder to find that really good group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Stonecutter, Camshaft, sornars, Erik Twice, Gregarius, JEM, GorillaGrody

More
04 Jun 2017 11:03 #249406 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic Thank you F:AT...
DdJ posts at TOS.

DdJ doesn't post here.

Ergo: this place wins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stormseeker75

More
04 Jun 2017 12:08 #249407 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Thank you F:AT...
The guy knows his TITAN though!

More
04 Jun 2017 12:31 - 04 Jun 2017 12:34 #249408 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Thank you F:AT...

Stonecutter wrote:
I think a big part of the problem is that the people who care enough about boardgames to seek out places like BGG and r/boardgames are the kinds of people who *buy* boardgames, and the kinds of people who buy boardgames are the kinds of people who can afford to buy boardgames, which either means people without kids, which has a huge overlap with antisocial (male) nerds, or, if they have kids, the managerial class.

Now those two groups produce more reactionaries than just about any other two subsets of society, so even the ones who have enough patience to play boardgames still come from those same cultures where everything triggers their resentment and their. need. to. be. right. about. every. single. thing.

So you have these... assholes... who cannot ever stand being challenged, and you combine it with a dozen or so anointed tastemakers who need excited viewers and suddenly everything new is always amazing!

I cannot fully describe my joy at reading this.

I swear, every move makes it harder and harder to find that really good group

I keep thinking of Robert Putnam's Bowling Alone, about the erosion of social life in America. And one day, I may actually read one of my three copies. I just picked up his book on religion in America, which I suspect has some bearing on obsessive hobbies as well.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2017 12:34 by Cranberries.

More
04 Jun 2017 12:53 #249409 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Thank you F:AT...

san il defanso wrote: Is anyone here familiar with the Board Game Revolution Facebook group? It's kind of a new place for BGG escapees, except it's horrible.

Not that group, but I follow the Boardgamegeek group and it's a mixture of good and bad, like BGG itself. Sometimes it gets really cringey, like when yesterday a poster said Wits & Wagers is a good game for playing with "the muggles." Then there are just puzzling perspectives, like if a game allows one player to win in a landslide (Blood Rage in this case), then it is an "awful, awful, awful" game. I could understand if such landslides were inevitable every game but that's not the case here, at least as I understand it...

More
04 Jun 2017 16:19 - 04 Jun 2017 16:20 #249410 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Thank you F:AT...

the_jake_1973 wrote: Jack,
I will talk at length about Merchants & Marauders. That continues to be not only one of my favorite games in my collection, but the best pirating game I've played. Christian Marcussen's pirate is one of the best due to the storms invulnerability. Although, it may be because storms seem to happen a lot in our games.

Yeah, we get plenty of storms since we use the storm token with the wind rules from the expansion.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2017 16:20 by quozl.

More
04 Jun 2017 17:18 - 04 Jun 2017 17:19 #249411 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Thank you F:AT...

cranberries wrote:

stormseeker75 wrote: May. It will happen.

Seriously though, BGG is terrible. Worse than ever. Too many people who don't want to contribute, they just want to be right.

As someone who isn't especially funny and tests high for Asperger's, even I can't stand what passes for humor in the discussions at BGG, with a few notable exceptions.

It's never too late to reference The Princess Bride or Monty Python. Or to quote Star Wars just because. Or a mashup. Because mashups are great.

Also... why Doctor Who?

To Nate though... I agree that the level of discussion is good, even if it's not a discussion I can actively participate in, and you guys clearly don't like X-Wing enough anymore.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2017 17:19 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds