October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Let's Talk Hipsters

More
09 Mar 2016 14:33 - 09 Mar 2016 14:40 #224064 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I live in Elgin, an old small city* (~120k) about 30 miles west (1 hour drive) of Chicago. All this talk of gentrification makes me think about how Elgin has gone the opposite way in the last twenty years. The housing crisis probably didn't help the property values, but man... if you're willing to live out here and aren't afraid of Mexicans... you can get a nice house for $150K or a Victorian mansion for under $500k when they go on sale. Most of the subdivision-y places on the outskirts of town are in the ~$100/sq. ft. range too.

You've got to drive a bit to get anything but groceries, Thai food, or tacos, but some of the houses here are beautiful.

*I have always been hesitant to call it a suburb because it has been around almost as long as Chicago, and had a decent amount of diversity even when I was a kid. There is a sizable Laotian community in addition to what you normally would expect around here. It didn't fit the mold of lily white and cul de sacs everywhere.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 14:40 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2016 21:16 #224084 by fightcitymayor
Replied by fightcitymayor on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

metalface13 wrote: I've lived in California and Austin. Couldn't afford a house in either. Now I'm in Pittsburgh and buying a home is much more reasonable. And I make more money than in Austin.

Ah, housing prices, one of the only redeeming qualities of this damnable old mill town. As long as you don't mind living in a boring turn-of-the-century shack with no insulation, or a boring 50's brick ranch.

And is it weird I thought this thread would be about how hipster-ish a lot of F:AT is? Because a lot of the self-important bloviating that goes on here is hipsterism of the first-order. There are some arrogant dorks here who think they are the smartest motherfuckers in the room. Srsly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
10 Mar 2016 09:26 #224092 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

fightcitymayor wrote: Because a lot of the self-important bloviating that goes on here is hipsterism of the first-order. There are some arrogant dorks here who think they are the smartest motherfuckers in the room. Srsly.

Hey, I don't fight it. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
10 Mar 2016 09:47 #224093 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

fightcitymayor wrote:

metalface13 wrote: I've lived in California and Austin. Couldn't afford a house in either. Now I'm in Pittsburgh and buying a home is much more reasonable. And I make more money than in Austin.

Ah, housing prices, one of the only redeeming qualities of this darnable old mill town. As long as you don't mind living in a boring turn-of-the-century shack with no insulation, or a boring 50's brick ranch.

And is it weird I thought this thread would be about how hipster-ish a lot of F:AT is? Because a lot of the self-important bloviating that goes on here is hipsterism of the first-order. There are some arrogant dorks here who think they are the smartest losers in the room. Srsly.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, ThirstyMan

More
10 Mar 2016 09:58 #224094 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I'm with Chapel, I'm comfortable with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chapel

More
10 Mar 2016 10:04 - 10 Mar 2016 10:05 #224096 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I just wanna say thanks to Chapel, Jeb, Ochobee, and MacDirk for helping me re-frame a few thoughts I had. I still get frustrated with the local expansion because campsites are booked out farther now and traffic is down right fierce, but I've softened my stance and have a hopefully more healthy perspective. Now, if y'all can at least help to improve the public transportation and not totally turn this place in to California.

As far as hipsters vs everyman...let's not also just assume the everyman wants to shop at large chains or eat take out all the time just because those are the businesses in their area. Remember, a lot of the teachers, police officers, firefighters, etc likely have less hours in their day (commute) so quick food is more a part of their routine. They aren't biking a mile or two to the office then meeting up at a trendy pub after work.

Also, real estate. Costco isn't downtown because there's no room. Plus, the cities, for the most part are already established. When a new area builds up these sort of mass general stores tend to go in first so the population can get their basic goods. Once the population gets large enough the higher quality niche stores can come in and have enough patrons to survive.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2016 10:05 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ochobee

More
10 Mar 2016 10:36 #224099 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Not only is there no room for a Costco store in a downtown area, the people living downtown don't have the storage space for a 144 roll count package of toilet paper or 100 pounds of dog food.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Mar 2016 11:44 #224101 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

craniac wrote:

fightcitymayor wrote:

Ah, housing prices, one of the only redeeming qualities of this darnable old mill town. As long as you don't mind living in a boring turn-of-the-century shack with no insulation, or a boring 50's brick ranch.

And is it weird I thought this thread would be about how hipster-ish a lot of F:AT is? Because a lot of the self-important bloviating that goes on here is hipsterism of the first-order. There are some arrogant dorks here who think they are the smartest losers in the room. Srsly.

perfect.

I happen to think there are some smart people here.

More
10 Mar 2016 17:00 #224126 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Why did the hipster burn his face on pizza? He wanted to eat it before it became too cool.
I heard that last joke before....when I had it on vinyl.

What's the average weight of a hipster?
An instagram.

Why do hipsters use microwaves?
Because they don't appreciate conventional ovens.

Why do hipsters love gophers?
Because they're so underground.

How did the hipster cut his finger?
He broke the glass on his Macbook while trying to get into the Recycle Bin to find something retro.

How do you start a hipster fight?
Fart in a room of hipsters and they'll spontaneously argue over who heard it first.

Two hipsters walk into a bar. The first one did it before it was cool, and the second one did it ironically.

More
10 Mar 2016 17:26 #224129 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
We don't live downtown, but we live in Atlanta. We have a typical older house that does not have gigantic storage areas. My mom and dad live in the DEEP suburbs where going to Costco and buying pallets of toilet paper and restaurant supply quantities of condiments is the done thing. They buy us stuff and I'm like "where the HELL am I going to put a giant box of 500 K-cups". They'll buy these packs of veggie burgers that are literally bigger than our freezer. People in the suburbs just don't get it a lot of times, they tend to think that the kind of hyper consumer, corporate-controlled lifestyle so common out there is how everyone else lives.

I walk into places like Costco and I break out in hives, so much of what has gone wrong with America is on display in places like that.

More
10 Mar 2016 18:56 #224134 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Erik Twice wrote: @Wadenels

You could say the same thing about games!

I do. It's probably my biggest pet peeve with this hobby too.

More
10 Mar 2016 23:02 #224145 by Ochobee
Replied by Ochobee on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Michael Barnes wrote: People in the suburbs just don't get it a lot of times, they tend to think that the kind of hyper consumer, corporate-controlled lifestyle so common out there is how everyone else lives.

I walk into places like Costco and I break out in hives, so much of what has gone wrong with America is on display in places like that.

Hyperbole much?

Why don't you just tell me more about how me and my fellow suburbanites live? I suppose you grow your own veggies, make your own Armada miniatures and have your wife make clothing from the wool thread she spins?

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, JEM

More
11 Mar 2016 01:41 #224147 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Michael Barnes wrote: We don't live downtown, but we live in Atlanta. We have a typical older house that does not have gigantic storage areas. My mom and dad live in the DEEP suburbs where going to Costco and buying pallets of toilet paper and restaurant supply quantities of condiments is the done thing. They buy us stuff and I'm like "where the HELL am I going to put a giant box of 500 K-cups". They'll buy these packs of veggie burgers that are literally bigger than our freezer. People in the suburbs just don't get it a lot of times, they tend to think that the kind of hyper consumer, corporate-controlled lifestyle so common out there is how everyone else lives.

I will pass on the restaurant supply quantities of condiments, but (if you have the room) why not buy a 36 pack of toilet paper or 500 K-cups? That is just prudent use of your money since they don't spoil, you're going to use them, and sometime you can save an absurd amount (up to 50% on some items). I see the argument for not buying things you don't need (which if we are being honest, most things people buy are "wants" and not "needs"); however, if you are going to get it any way, getting it the exact same product for a substantial discount is just being responsible your money.

You can donate the rest to your favorite charity, put your kids through college, whatevs.

What the hell is a "corporate controlled lifestyle"? This whole site probably has 50% of its movie discussion surrounding Disney controlled properties. All the Star Wars games are Disney licensed.

tl;dr:

55 gallon drum of Cheese Puffs from Costco -- what is wrong with America.
48 pack of toilet paper from Costco -- why you are going to be trading me hand-cobbled leather shoes for a few squares of 8-ply in the apocalypse
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, SuperflyPete, wadenels, Erik Twice

More
11 Mar 2016 05:19 #224149 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
They opened a Costco here in Madrid and it has been great. It has saved us a ton of money on many products. From the top of my head Croissants, Muffins, Mustard and Ketchup are like 33% cheaper than in any other store and that's only the tip of the iceberg. If that's the worst the United States has to offer, please Americanize me.

More
11 Mar 2016 09:20 #224157 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I love those damned Costco croissants. They make for delicious French toast or bread pudding.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds