October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

FFG Asmodee Discussion

More
30 Dec 2015 10:52 #218590 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
Rebellion seems like the one that is going to go bat-shit crazy. I'd like to play it but realistically, I'll buy it, it will sit for 2 months whilst I try to find the intersection of time and (available and interested friends) and then I'll sell it for less than I'm in it for.

Fuck that
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 11:11 - 30 Dec 2015 11:23 #218595 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion

Not Sure wrote: If they can get people to play their collectible games in-store, through tournament giveaways or whatever, then I think they have a good chance of improving their sales. Stronger margins may not hurt those goals much, either.

A pretty big "if",

. . . and I think that right there sets the tone for their future development efforts. FFG was already 75% there, focusing the majority of their efforts on serial-purchase games that do well in the game store environment. If this is where they plan to move from a distribution perspective, it seems to me they've created a big incentive on their designers to produce games that cater to the model.

And if that's the case, then designers that don't cater to that model will likely go to other publishers, or go the Kickstarter route. It becomes a non-issue because Asmodee doesn't carry my games, becomes Games Workshop, a company that produces games that people like me aren't very interested in, at any price. I just don't like the format. I only have one serial-purchase game title I play, and it's a much softer sell than the "organized play" titles FFG is moving these days.

I think there's a lot of unintended consequences due to play out here. Economic systems react to change in unexpected ways.

S.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 11:23 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Dec 2015 12:11 #218605 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
I think many are overestimating the percentage of sales from online retailers and therefor the impact of this move outside of affecting a minority of individuals. Personally, I'd be surprised if online accounts for more than 10% of total number of units moved for a game. No evidence, but just a gut feeling.

Looking at a recent box I received from CSI, it has some interesting information. On the side is "Plaid Hat Games - Mice and Mystics 8th (EN) - 4 pcs/ctn - ___ of 2575". Making assumptions of 8th being the print run number (since I don't believe M&M has ever had an "Edition" tag) and similar print runs, that 4 x 2575 x 8...So over 82,000 units. 10% means online shops moved over 8,200 units. I do suppose when you throw in Amazon with CSI, MM, Cardhause and FunAgain perhaps 10% is achieved.

I don't hide that I haunt game shops and many times I've brought up in discussions about a deal I may have received online and get met with blank faces, I'll see the same people that have a modest weekly game budget spend weekly rather than save a few weeks for an online purchase to get more bang for their buck. One guy was waiting on buying some Armada ships until his birthday when the shop he plays at gives him an extra 15% off that day (which after taxes is about 7% off MSRP). Anecdotal bits, I know, but repeatable.

The hyper-consumer price sensitive customers are the exception rather than the norm. I see some internet hand-wringing, but as a whole, this will happen and a year from now it'll be forgotten.

Locally, in a small-market off the top of my head I can name 7 games shops that are established and steady. 10 years ago there was maybe 3. That doesn't happen if customers are migrating online just to save a few bucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
30 Dec 2015 12:14 #218607 by Sagrilarus
If it were 10% I don't think Asmodee would care.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:18 #218609 by VonTush
10% is significant when supply shifts from distributors direct to dealing direct with Asmodee at a higher margin than they're selling to distributors.
Asmodee is cutting out the middle man with online shops, that bit has been overlooks so far. Online specialty retailers need to buy direct from them now.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:22 #218610 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
Even if its only 10% now, the perception amongst brick and mortar retailers ( the ones who probably go apeshit when CSI and MM blow stuff out at cost ) is probably that it is higher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
30 Dec 2015 12:30 - 30 Dec 2015 12:30 #218613 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
VonTush---your assumptions about the volume done by online sellers is consistent with Asmodee's actions in this case, FWIW. And much of the logic behind their actions.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 12:30 by Gary Sax.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:42 #218618 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, there's a part of me that thinks they're just realizing that they're leaving money on the table with the online shops and the wholesalers. I'm trying to decide how much of the rest of this is window dressing for that simple cash-grab. I don't blame them, in fact I think it's what I'd do given the circumstances.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:45 #218620 by VonTush
I do think part is brand/value control as well.
Often the phrase "street price" is used here, so their $99 has a perceived value of $68. Their X-Wing at $15 is perceived to be worth $10.
They want to bring perception in line with MSRP.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:47 #218622 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion

Gary Sax wrote: VonTush---your assumptions about the volume done by online sellers is consistent with Asmodee's actions in this case, FWIW. And much of the logic behind their actions.

Couldn't you argue that if the online sales avenue was such a small slice there's really no reason to enact this policy and risk losing customers over?

If it's so small why the effort of multiple press releases and being repeatedly vague. Why put years of work into a policy (think they stated this had been in the works for years) when it's goal is to protect those sales that are already occurring?

Also, BGG hit 4 million unique visitors in the past 30 days. How many of those people buy online versus their FLGS?

More
30 Dec 2015 12:54 - 30 Dec 2015 12:57 #218624 by VonTush

charlest wrote: Also, BGG hit 4 million unique visitors in the past 30 days. How many of those people buy online versus their FLGS?

Unique vs Active are two different things. Hell, I know I have two accounts, perhaps a third I forgotten about.

Ignore my ignorance, misread the note...
Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 12:57 by VonTush.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:55 #218625 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
WITH ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE, I feel like a lot of the new people flocking to our hobby do not encounter it through FLGS. I'm open to empirical evidence to change my mind, but that's based on my anecdotal evidence of new game players I see on my social media, feeds, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
30 Dec 2015 13:04 #218628 by VonTush
Are you talking first exposure?

More
30 Dec 2015 13:13 #218630 by Sagrilarus

VonTush wrote: I do think part is brand/value control as well.
Often the phrase "street price" is used here, so their $99 has a perceived value of $68. Their X-Wing at $15 is perceived to be worth $10.
They want to bring perception in line with MSRP.

I think this is more about the Perceived Revenue than the Perceived Value. If Perceived Value was the primary driver they'd lift the MSRP and wholesale price for everyone. I think they're ending the free ride for their wholesalers and online retailers because they can make serious coin on that channel starting tomorrow.

More
30 Dec 2015 14:18 #218637 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
I think the other thing overlooked is that from a FLGS standpoint, once you get past the core sets for the various LCG and minis games, for the most part the scheduled expansions, esp the LCG card packs, offer excellent traffic drivers for an FLGS. These days getting bodies in the door for any retailer is always a challenge. At $15 MSRP ( and often less either through discounting or store loyalty programs ) these SKUs are basically impulse purchases for a lot of customers, and/or low enough that many customers won't feel the need to go online.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds