October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

FFG Asmodee Discussion

More
30 Dec 2015 14:20 #218639 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
It's not that big of a change. The Star Wars Rebellion game is still 25% off at CSI. Less than before, but still cheaper than elsewhere.

The new only place this will matter is people who are buying a shitload of games. They will probably shift their purchases because they care more about buying acshitload of games than any particular game itself

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 14:23 #218640 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion
I think the other thing overlooked is that from a FLGS standpoint, once you get past the core sets for the various LCG and minis games, for the most part the scheduled expansions, esp the LCG card packs, offer excellent traffic drivers for an FLGS. These days getting bodies in the door for any retailer is always a challenge. At $15 MSRP ( and often less either through discounting or store loyalty programs ) these SKUs are basically impulse purchases for a lot of customers, and/or low enough that many customers won't feel the need to go online. One of my local opponents, who is a regular BGG user ( but lurks, as I suspect the vast majority of all those unique users do ) is basically subscribed to a couple LCGs as well as X-Wing and Armada via a FLGS which sells at roughly 20% off retail. I think there are a lot more folks out there like him than the vocal minority on BGG care to admit or realize. They are the "angel" customers that drive a ton of sales for stores.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
30 Dec 2015 15:29 #218646 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion

VonTush wrote: Are you talking first exposure?

First and subsequent exposure. They play with friends, apparently, and order through online retailers---usually amazon I think.

More
30 Dec 2015 15:30 #218647 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion

Space Ghost wrote: It's not that big of a change. The Star Wars Rebellion game is still 25% off at CSI. Less than before, but still cheaper than elsewhere.

The new only place this will matter is people who are buying a shitload of games. They will probably shift their purchases because they care more about buying acshitload of games than any particular game itself

Nah, totally, I want to make it clear that I completely agree with Spaceghost, it isn't that big a deal. But it is shifting a small price burden on me to subsidize FLGS events. I have loathed the FLGS I went into so that just leaves me a tiny bit salty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
30 Dec 2015 15:45 #218651 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic FFG Asmodee Discussion

Gary Sax wrote: I have loathed the FLGS I went into so that just leaves me a tiny bit salty.

Yeah, I finally got a local game store and in spite of wanting to set up regular WofG sessions I'm getting hosed because the room is booked on the days I can do it, mostly for Magic events. Two days a week regularly scheduled for Magic, plus special events. I can't blame him, but he's not going to be doing me any favors anytime soon from the looks of it.

That's his customer base, so it makes sense for me to be boxed out. But I think Asmodee is climbing onto a crowded ship, at least in my neighborhood.

More
01 Jan 2016 13:31 #218815 by charlieturtle
I'm not sure how much this is going to effect FFG/DoW/Asmodee in the long run. Both FFG and DoW have a decent selection and a sizable amount of shelf space at Target and Walmart and Amazon sell most of the Asmodee products aimed at the non-game-collecting gamer. When sales come around, the sales at Target and online at Amazon and Walmart are equivalent or better than the online game stores.

This policy is definitely to get better in-roads to local game stores. I don't know if it will work. One of the 4 local game stores in Madison are part of the Wizards and FFG play networks and have regular Netrunner, Star wars, and Magic tourneys where they give entry to the tournament and store credit your entry fee. FFG has a history of trying to support local game stores. They sent store video displays to showcase all of their games, they send a lot of free promos, and give free product for tourneys as well, and they enabled local stores to buy FFG holiday sale merch at a huge discount so they could offer it at the same price, so the idea that they are only now jumping on the support local stores bandwagon is a bit strange to me.

With the exception of TTR and Star wars stuff AsmoNA stuff isn't really the hottest things at local game stores anyway so they are probably trying to up their distribution to increase volume and visibility to non-bgg gamers. Here are the top sellers for 2015 at one of my local stores: www.imboardgames.com/?p=1998

All this being said, my favorite local game store has me a bit spoiled; it is clean, well lit, has about a 70/30 male/female gamer split, friendly staff, and regular board game time in the game room. They also do 20% discounts on all preorders and have regular sales of 40+ % off of some quality games as loss leaders for other merch. I'm dreading moving back to the Philly area in a week where the game stores are mostly crap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds