October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Have you started/run a Kickstarter campaign?

More
17 Feb 2016 16:00 #222707 by SuperflyPete
I think it's evolved quite a bit and the risks have been thoroughly mitigated. There's always going to be the chance of a guy who has a great idea for a game, who believes they're prepared and realize that they aren't, or bad shit happens and derails the project substantially (read: Glamazons) but in the end, most of the time they either get made or the people get refunded. There is some risk, yes, but in the end, I think the benefits of being able to get games that would be otherwise unpublished outweigh the risks.

I think the site WAS anti-Kickstarter during its nascent years, but now it's become sort of a "part of the gamer culture" and is much more reliable and robust.

I'm still thinking about doing a Kickstarter for Hoodrats,but with the new job, taking care of the surgeried wife, and life in general, I'd probably end up Glamazoning people due to time constraints.

Add "Glamazoning" to the F:AT Glossary LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2016 19:45 - 17 Feb 2016 19:47 #222720 by Cranberries
If I were going to do a Kickstarter, it would be something like Pax Pamir light, and I'd have all the art and rules and playtesting finalized in advance, so all I would have to do is wait for the orders to flow in and send the files to some card printing factory that does decent work, and they would handle fulfillment. Like that bazillion dollar kittens game from The Oatmeal guy. Hindsight.

An update from 2014:

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

As a wise puppet once told me as a kid “do or do not, there is no try”, and that's really where we're at. I certainly have excuses and literal sob stories for the delays and lack of communication lately, but frankly, you all shouldn't care. Professional and personally things got way out of my control, but ultimately it's still all on me that I dropped off the face of the earth for a bit and Glamazons is so late, and going to be later still. I want to assure you 110% that Glamazons is going to come out, it's going to be awesome, and I will personally figure out some way(s) to hopefully repay your support through all this. I asked for your help, and you gave it, and I owe you all far more than just a game. Exponentially more so now.

I was hoping to have more concrete details in place before making this update, and that kept getting pushed back. So where do we stand now? A few weeks ago Joe informed me that he was no longer going to be able to keep working on the project. We'll still have all the art he has gotten finished, but he's not doing any more. We're still friends, he's still amazing, but between it taking way way longer to get to as much art as is finished out the door than it should have, him leaving with the project unfinished really puts a kink in the plan. The huge plus side is that now I have been able to retake control of getting things done, so my involvement is no longer just pestering Joe to work more.

What's the next step? After a lot of thought and consultation, I've decided that instead of trying to hire someone to ape Joe's style, what we're going to do is hire a number of different artists and play off of a variety of stereotypical art styles. I'm looking to get things like anime, 70's book covers, 40s pin ups, and 90's Liefield, among others, to round out the representations of silly depictions of female armor. It's still a huge disappointment to no longer have a game full of Joe's awesome work, but we'll still be getting great quality work. Plus, I'll now only be looking for a piece or two from any single artist and once the artists get to work, things should be moving a lot quicker.

For those of you who supported the project just because you wanted a bunch of new art from Joe, I just ask that you wait until you see the final finished project before passing judgment. If you really don't want it at that point, I'll offer you a full refund. It's going to be full of awesome artwork, but not all Joe's and I fully understand if anyone feels like there was a bait and switch here. Believe me when I say that no one is more disappointed in losing Joe than I am.

I could apologize here all day and talk about everything that's been going on to explain things, but it still wouldn't change anything. So I'm just going to do is get back to work on getting Glamazons out to you all because that's all anyone really wants. I hope to have some more concrete information soon, and when I do I'll be posting another update. If anyone wants to talk to me more directly, my personal email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and my cell number is 203.524.5756 The big take away here is that I'm not dead, I didn't run away with all your money, and Glamazons is going to come out. Eventually.

Thanks so much for all the support.

Rainbow Unicorn Kisses,
Matt

Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 19:47 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds