October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Nintendo Switch

More
03 May 2017 12:08 #247696 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Nintendo Switch
I came home yesterday to a one page paper he wrote convincing me why he needs a Switch for the summer, how he plans to share it with his sister, pay for it (watch this space), and other summer activities he'll take part in to balance himself out. It was impressive.

That's when you should have been like "but this guy on the internet..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2017 12:36 #247701 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Nintendo Switch

Mr. White wrote:

fastbilly1 wrote: - Fast RMX is the step between Fzero and Wipeout. It is gorgeous, fairly difficult, and awesome in multiplayer, but only makes me want an Fzero even more.

Is this made by the same developers that put out that other fzero/wipeout style game on the wii u?

Correct. It is the sequel to Fast Racing Neo. It is superior in pretty much every way to FRN.

More
03 May 2017 18:20 #247737 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Nintendo Switch
I've put about:

* 90 hours into Zelda
* 20 hours into Lego City Undercover
* 10 hours into Puyo Puyo Tetris
* 1 hour into Splatoon 2 Global Testfire
* A lot, lately, into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I want to play Shovel Knight and Blaster Master Zero but I don't know when I'll find the time.
I've played some 1-2 Switch but it's more of a family and/or friends drinking and being stupid game.

I really like the Switch. Way more than I thought I would.

My wife can pick up my Zelda save and catch horses and cook and explore because that's what she likes to do. She runs away from any enemies but dies sometimes. She doesn't want to start her own save or play through the game so this works great because there's no major penalty for dying.

Splitscreen MK8D is great. But I think everybody already knew that. Online is fun too but I am not very good at it.

Splatoon 2 Global Testfire was a blast, but unfortunately it looks like all signs point to only supporting one player online at a time. No splitscreen online together. However there's local multiplayer and a new coop mode I think?

Puyo Puyo Tetris is much better than I expected it to be. It and Snipperclips are the go-to family party games around here with a little 1-2 Switch mixed in.

Lego City Undercover is the best Lego game I've played, but it has some issues. The framerate drops a bit when playing single-player, but it drops a lot when playing splitscreen. The drops are worse in handheld mode too. The main story isn't long enough standalone for the price, but I have just as much fun (if not more) exploring the city and finding hidden things after completing the story. You do need to complete the story to get access to all the abilities you need to truly explore the city though. Lego City has a legitimately good open world, but after playing Zelda I really can't say it's great. And I feel like the developers couldn't optimize their way out of a wet paper bag. Recommend getting this one on sale in a year or so, or maybe the holidays.

I've seen people complain about connection drops when playing different games online. I hadn't experienced any until I started playing MK8D and even then they weren't often. Still, I got into my router and both gave my Switch a static IP and made it the DMZ host. Now connection is perfect even from the corners of my house furthest from the router.

The one thing I'm still concerned about is what the "real" online experience will be when it launches.

More
08 May 2017 14:28 #247989 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Nintendo Switch
i'm crying from laughing too hard at the end of this one... the whole thing is good tho

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
23 May 2017 09:42 - 23 May 2017 09:48 #248892 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Nintendo Switch
Picked up a Switch yesterday and pre-ordered USFII for $30 on Amazon.

Now we're in business.

We'll see if SFII and the Arms Testpunch over the next few weekends will keep the kids happy until Splatoon 2 drops mid summer. Oh, I may also get Garou Mark of the Wolves. I've always heard great things about it, but never played it.

SFIII on the system would be nice.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 09:48 by Mr. White.

More
23 May 2017 14:33 #248907 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Nintendo Switch
THUMPER. I actually played a Switch game other than BOTW.

It's really neat. It's kind of a rhythm game, but it's billed as "rhythm violence". You control this silver scarab thing (that kind of makes me think of the band Journey) along this endless strip of road (?) that has all of this crazy psychedelic stuff going on around it. You have to follow the rhythm, banking in to turns, hold A through gates, that kind of thing. But it's not some dippy techno thing, it's more industrial-ish, and it feels much more like slamming around than smoothly following beats. Hence the "rhythm violence" thing. It has bosses, you have to match patterns and then also hit an extra beat when you do to attack them. It looks awesome, plays great in 10-20 minute sittings, and it really makes uses of the HD rumble- it feels like you are scraping on the walls.

Garou is really good, probably the best of the SNK fighters, actually. I haven't played it on Switch though.

Arms is looking...awesome, actually.

More
24 May 2017 10:20 #248982 by fastbilly1
Many 8bitdo controllers now work on the Switch. Paired my FC30 Pro and gave PuyoxTetris, Bomberman, and Zelda a go. My dpad is a bit twitchy on the up button (I need to clean it), but it worked fine (I am not a pro Tetris player). But Zelda was more of a joke It worked but the original controllers are far better for it.

It takes a bit to get it mounted, after you update to 4.0 firmware, and mounts as a pro controller.

More
24 May 2017 12:54 #249007 by Mr. White
Is Snipperclips really worth it?

Sell me.

More
24 May 2017 14:11 #249016 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Nintendo Switch
I keep bragging to my wife about how I haven't bought a Switch yet.

"Hey honey, I actually saw a Switch at Best Buy today. I can't believe they had them in stock and you know what... I didn't buy it! Isn't that awesome!"

She's never pleased by this because she knows that one day I'll break down and buy the damned thing. It's just a matter of time. My plan is to buy it for Christmas and hopefully I can hold out that long. If I can make it to the new year... even better. I'm still playing BotW on my Wii U and still loving it. Damned masterpiece.

More
26 May 2017 21:12 #249166 by Mr. White
Anyone do the ARMS Testpunch?

My son did it for about 30mins. He liked it but went back to Splatoon because he wanted to get in a few rounds before bed.

I'm reading now you can play with with buttons instead? That's probably the optimal way for competitive play.

More
27 May 2017 21:52 #249180 by Mr. White
Two more testpunches played today. game is a lot of fun, but we couldn't grasp how to turn the character so multi player battles seemed a bit of a mess.

i hope we just didnt know what we were doing, because the core game is a smash.

More
30 May 2017 08:57 #249225 by fastbilly1
I did not get the play the Test punch, always had server issues when I tried this weekend - mostly because I was in the mountains on a crappy connection. Good to hear that it is solid. I already have it paid for.

I was in the mountains for a buddy's bachelors party. He wanted to play TI3 and double blind mega A&A. But turn 4 of A&A the power went out. So the sixteen of us were in a cabin in the mountains with limited lighting and no power. So I asked who had a Switch with Mario Kart and a tournament of Battlemode broke out. No power, fueled by moderate scotch, cheep beer, and enough red meat to kill a bear, and here are sixteen adults playing Mario Kart in a cabin during a horrible storm. Needless to say, best gaming weekend I have had in a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Black Barney, hotseatgames

More
30 May 2017 09:04 #249228 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Nintendo Switch
I would honestly pitch that story to Nintendo as an idea for a commercial , they want to tap into that market bad

More
30 May 2017 09:25 #249231 by Mr. White
My copy of Ultra SFII arrives today, but to be honest...I just wanna play more Garou at the moment.

More
30 May 2017 10:05 #249236 by fastbilly1

Black Barney wrote: I would honestly pitch that story to Nintendo as an idea for a commercial , they want to tap into that market bad

Not a bad idea. I will say that I thought I was young until I was there that weekend (I had a solid 5-10 years on most everyone there). They never stopped drinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds