October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Nintendo Switch

More
13 Jan 2017 11:47 #242365 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Nintendo Switch
ARMS looks like Virtual On with a Nintendo spin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2017 14:10 #242372 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Nintendo Switch
Prices seem high for such an underpowered console,

Switch - $300 with no pack in game
Pro Controller - $70
Joy Con Controllers - $80
Left or Right Joy Con Controller - $50

I've seen PS4 Pro's for $370 during Christmas sales. I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.

More
13 Jan 2017 14:14 #242373 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Nintendo Switch
I am kind of having second thoughts about it myself, at least as far as preordering goes...I might cancel until MO.

More
13 Jan 2017 15:14 #242377 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Nintendo Switch
I forgot to mention that there will now be a paid multiplayer component for the Switch, sort of like Xbox Live or Playstation Plus if you want to participate in multiplayer.

More
13 Jan 2017 15:38 #242378 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Nintendo Switch
Same, I need more killer apps. I'll get one when SM ODYSSEY gets released, probably.

The accessory that seems REALLY overpriced is the extra dock, which is like $90 for USB3 and HDMI connectors. Fuck that, that's like $5 of guts unless it is doing something I am not understanding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jan 2017 15:51 #242379 by Michael Barnes
As far as the paid online service goes...that ship has sailed and ain't ever coming back. I pay for PS Plus, whatever. The upshot of it is that they are going to do like the other services and offer up games to subscribers...backcatalog Nintendo titles. I can get with that.

The accessories...WHOOOOOOOha. Expensive. Especially since I am looking at wanting at least three controllers. It was really great with Wii U that you could use the old controls, and that's why we have the ability to play up to seven players on Smash (as long as someone is controlling with the 3DS.

It is really, really stupid (and surprising) that 1 2 Switch isn't a pack in. But you know, it may still be. It could be a digital download, just not an actual pack-in. Guess it is not likely since they didn't announce it as such, but that seems like the perfect pack-in for it...and one that I think few people would actually buy. But it also doesn't look nearly as fun as Nintendoland.

A friend of mine just stopped by a little while ago, he just got back from Japan. He brought me this weird Famicom game that has no English text on it at all with an angry salaryman. Maybe it is a Nintendo shareholder simulator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
13 Jan 2017 16:15 #242384 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nintendo Switch
Only the news that DS is gone now would get me to onto it soonish.

Also, no region locking, btw. Which is a little nice thing.

More
13 Jan 2017 16:51 #242392 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Nintendo Switch
Zelda, Mario, PuyoxTetris, and Bomberman, are now paid for. Mario Kart is not in Gamestop system yet for preorder.

More
13 Jan 2017 18:08 #242394 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Nintendo Switch
I preordered four, gonna flip three of 'em on kijiji

More
13 Jan 2017 18:21 #242395 by Michael Barnes
I feel like Homer when he buys that cursed Krusty doll...

"But it comes with a free frozen yogurt!"

"Whoo hoo!"

"Which is also cursed."

"D'oh!"

This time it's about those Classic games offered monthly...you only get to play them for a month, it's not like PS Plus where you always have access as long as you subscribe. Oh, Nintendo...

I have no doubt that this is going to be awesome. But I'm just not sure the price is right at this time.

More
13 Jan 2017 18:26 #242396 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Nintendo Switch
Why is Mario Kart split screen ??

More
13 Jan 2017 18:32 #242398 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Nintendo Switch
Managed to preorder two Zelda Master Editions too! Barnes is complaining about the price, I'm cashing in lol

y'all motherfuckers forgot about the rush for Nintendo stuff? Must have been asleep during the Wii / Amiibo / Zelda 64 / Gamecube / whatever releases :P

More
14 Jan 2017 11:32 #242421 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Nintendo Switch
I've decided to hold off on the Switch for now, but I really hope they make it worthwhile to get the system later this summer or fall.

The online situation is just too big a question mark right now.

Sounds like you get 1 VC title each month for paying the online subscription, but that title is taken away and replaced with another at the end of the month. I've spent enough money on VC games over the years, I really don't need month-long demo periods. I'd rather have official Nintendo VC titles than my emulator setup, as evidenced by my Wii and 3DS libraries, but if this is how they're going to treat the situation then I'm also going to keep playing my emulator setup.

Sounds like you get no voice chat and (possibly?) no social features with the Switch alone? They have a separate mobile app for that? There's no headphone jacks on the controllers. I don't get this at all. Maybe they'll execute it really well, but until they prove it I'm pretty leery. This mobile app is coming soon or something, so it won't even be available at launch.

What I'm hoping and holding out for: Nintendo gets backlash over the VC rental as part of a subscription model and stops pretending they exist in a bubble; i.e. their subscription service becomes competitive with other platforms'. Zelda, Mario, Kart, and Splatoon are really good. 1-2-Switch and Arms hit the discount bin sooner rather than later. JoyCon prices get reduced or 3rd party controllers are good enough for cheaper. I'd like to see a cheaper-than-$90 option to dock the Switch to multiple TVs. I want the Switch to succeed, but it looks way too iffy right now. Nintendo could have really knocked it out of the park with their presentation this week, but instead they did the "Trust us, we're Nintendo" thing and now I have even more questions than before. So I'm just going to wait a few months to see how this all shakes out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
14 Jan 2017 13:20 #242426 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Nintendo Switch
I definitely ordered it. It's exactly what I've been looking for in my daily routine. I commute into Boston at least three times a week on the bus, which is about an hour to an hour and a half each way. I sometimes get to use the living room TV, but not often. So most of my available game time is on the bus, and I get limited time on the TV. With the Wii U, I was able to get some games played entirely because I could play it on the gamepad, but had to play a different game on the bus. For a long time, I've wanted to have the option of playing the same game on the TV and on the bus. Monster Hunter 3U came the closest to that, allowing you to move your save back and forth between the Wii U and DS versions, but you had to buy that twice, and moving it was clunky as hell.

The Switch is exactly what I've been waiting for. Yes, I could get Zelda on my Wii U, but it'd take me forever to play it, since I'd only be playing at home. I version that I can take on the bus and then throw up on the TV? OMG yes. Yeah, the accessories are way too expensive, but I'm totally fine with having the Switch be a strictly solo system. So yeah, I've absolutely got one coming. Even if there's just Zelda at launch, I'm fine with that, and I'd rather help it get a bigger install base from the jump to try and encourage third party support. Hell, I'm even into Skyrim, since being able to play on the bus means I might actually have a chance at playing it.

More
14 Jan 2017 13:57 - 14 Jan 2017 13:57 #242431 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nintendo Switch
Their messaging is a bit weird on it. They're really pushing the gimmick portion (take it to a party and play this weird table tennis with no screen!). I think Nintendo has succeeded despite its gimmicks like gamepad Wii U or motion control, not because. It makes me wary, because I think the strongest sell is the direct one: portable at any time, will have a large library with portable and console makers on an easy to program platform when we converge to just switch.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2017 13:57 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds