October 09, 2023
2449 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2649 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Cruel Shoes: Games you keep buying.

More
17 Jan 2018 10:03 #261173 by SuperflyPete
I FEEL YOU!

The franchise started a slow decline since Ravenloft. Less and less interesting setting and characters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2018 10:34 #261180 by barrowdown

Chaz wrote: I keep buying the freaking COIN games from GMT. I'm up to five now, I'm waffling on Pendragon that just came out, will definitely wind up with a reprint copy of Andean Abyss, and probably that Ghandi one if it makes it out this year. I've never gotten to play one with other people. I've on managed a single solo game of Fire in the Lake. Back when my buddies and I were playing weekly online, I tried to convince them to try Cuba Libre, and never managed to make it happen.

I still buy the stupid things. I really like the concept and engine. I think it's mainly that the series is so popular that if you don't get one within a month of release, it could be a year or more before it gets a reprint, if ever, so there's a definite FOMO thing. I guess the good news is that if I ever convince myself to sell, they usually manage to go up in value, so I'll make some money.

Other than that, since I literally never get to play anything, I've mostly stopped buying new games.

We are twins! I compulsively buy the COIN games though I have not got one to the table since Andean Abyss first game out. I do not yet have Colonial Twilight or Pendragon, but likely will pick them up in the next couple of months. The series hits all the right buttons for me: CDG, asymmetric multiplayer, strong playtesting, interesting themes, high quality GMT production.

More
17 Jan 2018 12:01 #261198 by Gary Sax
GMT can give some FOMO on stuff that might be relatively popular. They'll reprint it eventually, but it can take a year or two at least. That can factor into this too,a t least for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
17 Jan 2018 12:25 #261205 by Not Sure

Chaz wrote: I keep buying the freaking COIN games from GMT.

Yeah I was going to post in here with "board games". Ever since I switched jobs and started traveling a lot, my game participation has gone from "infrequent" to "flatlined".

So almost anything I buy is Cruel Shoes to begin with, but GMT in general and the damn COIN games are the cruelest. I've been able to talk myself out of a number of them, but I have quite a few on my shelf, often still in shrink. I like them so much, and never have four interested people. And yet, I find myself buying them as a strategic investment in "future me", since they wander in and out of print a lot.

Eklund games are the other thing that I just buy when they're out, because that can be the only chance. Luckily I restrain myself there to mostly Pax games, not all the Bios and High Frontier stuff (shit, I still have a first? edition of High Frontier that I don't think ever got played through a full game.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Jan 2018 12:27 #261206 by Not Sure
Jesus, there are a lot of us sad bastards. You know, this COIN stuff is all available on Vassal (F:AT Andean Abyss is how I got hooked on COIN games to begin with).

Just sayin'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
17 Jan 2018 13:20 #261214 by repoman

Not Sure wrote: Jesus, there are a lot of us sad bastards. You know, this COIN stuff is all available on Vassal (F:AT Andean Abyss is how I got hooked on COIN games to begin with).

Just sayin'.

I'd be down for that. Just because you are all too weak to show up at Trashfest where such games could be played in person doesn't mean they shouldn't be played at all
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
18 Jan 2018 06:03 #261307 by Chaz

repoman wrote:

Not Sure wrote: Jesus, there are a lot of us sad bastards. You know, this COIN stuff is all available on Vassal (F:AT Andean Abyss is how I got hooked on COIN games to begin with).

Just sayin'.

I'd be down for that. Just because you are all too weak to show up at Trashfest where such games could be played in person doesn't mean they shouldn't be played at all

Yeah, I've tried that, both solo and with my buddies. Neither kept my attention. I did best when I set up a solo game and played it a turn or two at a time on WFH days.

More
18 Jan 2018 11:11 #261359 by Gregarius
I'm sure if I had played a COIN game, I'd be in the same boat, but for now I'm safe.

What got me was C&C:Ancients. I love that game. I never play that game. But that didn't stop me from making sure I got every single expansion for it. There they sit. Still in shrink. Staring at me from my shelf. Great big boxes of wooden toads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2018 11:24 #261366 by Shellhead
I just bought the Blue Sun and Breakin' Atmo expansions for Firefly, even though I still haven't played this game with anybody. However, I have played several games of Firefly by myself and enjoyed it every time, so maybe not the best example of Cruel Shoes. Many of my friends are fans of the show, so it's not unrealistic to expect that people will play. It's just that the game has gotten a reputation for being long, though there are suggestions in the rule book about how to keep things moving along at a good pace.

More
18 Jan 2018 13:14 #261394 by dysjunct
I’ve bought Agricola three times and sold it twice. I’m not exactly sure why. I like it okay but every time I play it I think it’s just alright. Every time I sell it I eventually really want to play it though. I will probably hold onto it at this point, just because I don’t want to repeat the cycle and buy it a fourth time.

More
18 Jan 2018 13:37 #261399 by SuperflyPete

dysjunct wrote: I’ve bought Agricola three times and sold it twice. I’m not exactly sure why. I like it okay but every time I play it I think it’s just alright. Every time I sell it I eventually really want to play it though. I will probably hold onto it at this point, just because I don’t want to repeat the cycle and buy it a fourth time.

If you get it on iOS let me know. I love that game.

More
20 Jan 2018 06:17 #261554 by LilRed
Two player tactical miniatures games. They are an addiction I keep feeding and had to quit cold turkey. Space Hulk, Earth Reborn, Okko, Tannhauser, I love them so much yet never play them.

To be honest I only play two player games with my SO and she doesn't care for tactical minature games. She does like Coop Descent tho so it's not a total loss. Why arent there any good multiplayer tactical miniature games? (coop doesn't count)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete, Frohike, stoic

More
20 Jan 2018 06:31 #261556 by repoman

LilRed wrote: Two player tactical miniatures games. They are an addiction I keep feeding and had to quit cold turkey. Space Hulk, Earth Reborn, Okko, Tannhauser, I love them so much yet never play them.

To be honest I only play two player games with my SO and she doesn't care for tactical minature games. She does like Coop Descent tho so it's not a total loss. Why arent there any good multiplayer tactical miniature games? (coop doesn't count)

Wizwar?
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilRed, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
20 Jan 2018 09:37 #261558 by SuperflyPete
There’s a mess of them.

More
20 Jan 2018 10:44 - 20 Jan 2018 10:44 #261563 by southernman
Those that people here keep talking about (hell Mikey Barnes nearly had me trading for WHQ: Silvertower before one of the guys I'd play it with, who is an active 40K player, said he didn't like it).

Those with lots of plastic minis that get good hype.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2018 10:44 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds