October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Games that did[n't] quite hit it for you

More
22 Nov 2017 22:36 - 22 Nov 2017 23:24 #258113 by Cranberries
You know what's not quite working for me, personally? Slagging on people who play boring spreadsheet games. It's like making fun of people who don't like pickles, and starting a club called the Pickle Haters Club. I've said stupid things in the past, while playing these games with people who like them,and on this site, and I think it's time to move on, something most of you have already done, to your credit. tl;dr I need social skills in the worst way.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2017 23:24 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2017 23:13 #258115 by Gary Sax
Awesome OP, by the way

More
23 Nov 2017 08:39 #258122 by panzerattack
Kingdom Death: Monster for me. I liked it quite a lot at first but the more I played it the less interesting I found it and the more its problems began to annoy me. It gets points for a pretty unique (if slightly daft) setting and it has some really good ideas as far as some of the game's mechanics are concerned, but overall I'm glad I played someone else's copy and didn't buy it myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
23 Nov 2017 08:49 - 23 Nov 2017 09:00 #258123 by Da Bid Dabid
I was gonna contribute to this thread but after seeing M & M, TI: 3, and DQ all mentioned I'm gonna first need to deal with the throw up in my mouth. All of those are in my top 10 games of all time... perhaps this is some bizarro world Thanksgiving thing.

Also Cran it would be the Pickles Haters Haters club, something I would quickly join up if you want to start it.

OK... I recovered. Cosmic Encounter is ultra overrated, here more than anywhere else. It's not a bad game and seeing the powers interact and using the flares are pretty fun. But I have a hard time with the random attack mechanic and prefer to play more of an area control/conquest game OR a negotiation game; not a hybrid of the two. I know every game on earth is group dependent but this is even more so than most. Play those designer's better game, Dune.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2017 09:00 by Da Bid Dabid. Reason: recovery
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Scott_F

More
23 Nov 2017 11:42 #258130 by RobertB
Where's the fun in slagging a game like Castles of Mad King Ludwig?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Nov 2017 17:23 #258144 by southernman
I'm working on the words 'didn't quite' as being the key here, in that I was looking forward to a great time and came back 'wtf happened there':

Star Trek: Ascendancy - the combination of 3-player, each player builds and move/fight (a-la Risk) before the next, and the luck of the system draw means it can easily turn into a tank rush for one player or a player getting knocked out really early.

Claustrophobia - was really looking forward to this but both me and my opponent are struggling to find any depth or balance to the game.

And I'll point a short finger at Merchants & Marauders as it can easily become Merchants & Merchants if a couple of players get a good run going .

More
24 Nov 2017 09:21 #258162 by Shellhead
Without a map to present geographical limitations on attacks, the random attack is essential in Cosmic Encounter. Without it, everybody would constantly attack the leader, and the game would last a couple of hours after the fun died.

More
24 Nov 2017 09:30 - 24 Nov 2017 09:32 #258164 by Erik Twice

Shellhead wrote: Without a map to present geographical limitations on attacks, the random attack is essential in Cosmic Encounter. Without it, everybody would constantly attack the leader, and the game would last a couple of hours after the fun died.

Agree. Most importantly, attacking the leader as a mechanic just isn't interesting nor fun. "Oh no, don't attack me, he's winning" and "Let's look around the table and try to guess who is in the lead" is just boring, self-balancing and completely lacking meaningful decisions. Allies and the interaction between powers are much more interesting than that.

I also think that Cosmic repalces area control with hand management which is more interesting.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2017 09:32 by Erik Twice.

More
24 Nov 2017 10:53 #258166 by Da Bid Dabid
I agree with both you guys. Cosmic needs random attack and replaces area control to function. It's just my preference is to have it the other way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Erik Twice

More
24 Nov 2017 12:39 #258168 by Shellhead
There is another problem avoided in Cosmic Encounter by making the attacks random. When not ganging up on the leader, people will pick on the weakest player to rack up easy wins. I saw a lot of this in Shadowfist, an otherwise cool CCG that played like a cross between Magic and Cosmic Encounter.

More
24 Nov 2017 18:08 #258181 by Erik Twice

Shellhead wrote: There is another problem avoided in Cosmic Encounter by making the attacks random. When not ganging up on the leader, people will pick on the weakest player to rack up easy wins. I saw a lot of this in Shadowfist, an otherwise cool CCG that played like a cross between Magic and Cosmic Encounter.

It also assures you have to attack everyone on the table. So you cannot rely on your power having a good matchup, you'll fight Virus and Loser as much as everyone else does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds