October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Superfly Weekend 42

More
06 Aug 2017 22:08 - 06 Aug 2017 22:28 #252187 by SuperflyPete
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationGROUND ZERO: Friday
So, Friday was my birthday and as mentioned on the What? Boardgame thread Dave Roswell came down down to hang. He showed up Friday at 7:30p, and after him experiencing my bad ass Chinese Sweet Chili Chicken dinner, we began the party.

Most of my friends locally were busy - concerts in town, other plans... - and so I decided booze and pool would be in order. We cruised up to the local watering hole (The 'cock) and had some beers, bourbon. Dave is a truly shit pool player but he has spirit, so we shot a bunch of games while boozing it up.

My friends Sue Lynne and Millie ended up showing up randomly after the Rod Stewart concert they were at, so we ended up shooting the breeze and some pool with them too. The bartender knows us (despite we only being there maybe 10 times ever) and we got some birthday cake shots which were probably Irish Cream with whipped cream on top and some sprinkles. It was vile as fuck. But, when in Rome....

So we headed back to the house at 12:30 and turned on the fire pit in my gazebo. We sat and drank and entire bottle of Evan Williams 1783. Dave claims he had 6 shots of it; (plus two at the bar) my wife kept up with him until she folded like a cheap ass lawn chair and left for bed**, and I had maybe 12 myself of it, less the one shot I dumped on myself. Dave sang, wife sang, and I played some guitar. Good shit. Mama went to bed at 3, Dave and I stayed up until 5:30 partying.

DAY 2: Saturday
Dave has an annoying habit of getting up early and ambling around while looking at the internet on his phone. So, he woke me at about 10:30a. We played some games for a while, as noted in the other thread. We ended up going to Steak and Shake and then came back for some more games.

Around 9:30 my wife texted me from the forest behind my house where we have a community fire pit and chill spot. Apparently my buddy had a friend up there who plays guitar and they asked me to come and play with him. We were mid-game so I ignored her until 10:30 when I went up. Dude was a straight up redneck guitar hero, with a decent if thick voice. We ended up playing some honkytonk country shit I didn't know so I just winged it as I watched his giant bear hands playing this smooth sounding Ibanez. So, we played and talked and chilled with my 3 friends, wife, and this Smiley dude (guitar man). We also played some cornhole, which Dave had clearly never played before. Despite his patent lack of any semblance of coordination and athleticism, he held his own like a fucking boss. Tight game, we won by 1 point. We dipped out back to the house (150 feet away) and played some more games until we decided to rock back up there.

Now, in the two hours that passed everyone up at the fire was TRASHED. My one neighbor kept giving me the "fuck me eyes" again and clapping WAY TOO MUCH, at me, despite my playing as a mediocre backup to Smiley, which is intensely uncomfortable for me. Luckily mama didn't notice and I sure as hell wasnt going to say shit as it would've ended badly for my neighbor, peace in the hood, and probably me despite my innocence.

Smiley decided to get completely naked and float in my neighbor's pool. Suffice it to say that Smiley may be his name but any woman he's with is likely smiling more than him. Fucker looked like a pregnant shark with an elephant trunk. I really, really didn't need to see that when I (the sober one since my kidneys still ached from the precious night's fun) went to make sure he wasn't drowning. After I saw what I saw, I wasn't worried cuz dude came with a god damned submarine snorkel.

So, then we did what we always do at these hoedowns- we take turns picking songs to play on iTunes and then sing along. A couple of joints got passed (Neither Dave or I smoke, so we took a pass) and the singing got way better as it tempered the drunkenness. To be clear: all of my neighborhood buddies, guys and gals, are Weekend Warriors when it comes to booze - they can drink FOREVER. It's magical. At about 2:30 Dave went to bed as he had to drive on sunday and needed to be mostly awake. I, my wife, Smiley (who came back dressed and wobbly as a mofo), and my 3 friends continued to sing and Smiley started playing old ass shit like A champ. He was great, even blistered drunk, but after talking a bit he explained he is self taught and can't play a Bm. I taught him the cheater Bm so I felt like we both got something from the jam session. 3:30 bedtime, hugs and kisses all around.

THIS IS THE END...: Sunday
We got up late and I had some toaster strudels, which are up there with McD's breakfasts both as far as excellent hangover cures and profoundly bad for you. Dave and I BS'ed and then hit the games. The wife got a game in with us at my insistence (she was in agony all day due to sleeping wrong and her shoulder is still all fucked up from a crash 2 years ago) so I didn't press it. Five Fingered Severance was it. It started drizzling rain which captured the mood - Anyone who doesn't know Dave would be better off knowing him. He's odd as shit and a bit creepy at times but he's got a heart of fucking gold, and is a TRUE friend. After delaying his departure by 4 hours later than he wished, and many games later, he cruised home.

FUCKING AWESOME.

Here's the games we played:
fortressat.com/forum/35-mos-eisley-canti...n-playing?start=3915

**Edit: Correction - Mama just told me she only had 2 shots of my Evan Williams, and the bottle is just as empty, so I had ~18 shots. I also cleaned up the Gazebo and managed to not destroy my "outside beater" guitar. #LikeABoss
Last edit: 06 Aug 2017 22:28 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis, allismom3, Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy, hotseatgames, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2017 23:08 #252188 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Superfly Weekend 42
Sounds terrible. No one was able to focus on the gaming because of all the fun-having.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, wadenels

More
07 Aug 2017 01:32 #252194 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Superfly Weekend 42
I know, right?

More
07 Aug 2017 07:32 - 07 Aug 2017 07:35 #252196 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Superfly Weekend 42
In my world that's what we call an "Aditude Adjustment weekend" or weekend that you can forget all the other bullshit and responsiblies of your life. Thanks for sharing. Where's your house again? I roomed with Dave a couple years at WBC and he had the habitat of walking to Waffle House at 4:00 AM in the morning. I'm guess you live outside of the Waffle House belt.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2017 07:35 by KingPut.

More
07 Aug 2017 08:44 #252199 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Superfly Weekend 42
Yep, sounds like he lives in the towns-with-librairies belt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
07 Aug 2017 11:04 #252203 by SuperflyPete
Nah, we have Waffle Houses here in the Cincy area. My particular area is kind of rural so he'd only be able to walk to a little country store/pharmacy or a liquor store from my place, easily. The closest non-Pizza joint is 5 miles.

This was pretty much every weekend for me,
more or less (except the Dave and the drinking - truth be told I only drink once every couple of months at best). The magical stuff is that both my daughters were busy with sleep-overs so it was just me and the wife, and Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Aug 2017 22:50 #252226 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Superfly Weekend 42
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETE!

More
07 Aug 2017 23:42 #252229 by SuperflyPete
Thanks brother!

More
08 Aug 2017 22:08 #252269 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Superfly Weekend 42
I call bullshit to this whole weekend...there is no fucking way that Rod Stewart is still alive. And if so, that he performs concerts. And people attend said concerts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
08 Aug 2017 23:06 #252271 by SuperflyPete
www.setlist.fm/setlist/rod-stewart/2017/...ati-oh-43e5c317.html

I'm shocked as well. Cyndi Lauper was there too!!

More
08 Aug 2017 23:45 #252273 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Superfly Weekend 42
See, I'd pay to go see Cyndi Lauper...she's great! Never been a fan of Rod "If ya think I'm sexy" Stewart. Stupid sexy ass raspy voice.

All kidding aside, Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a great weekend!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
09 Aug 2017 13:24 #252292 by SuperflyPete
I'm fairly certain that they had a staff necromancer keeping ole Rod vertical.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds