October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Where I went wrong: 2016 10x10 Quest to Kill the Cult

More
18 Nov 2016 10:47 #238760 by Stormcow
It went pretty poorly for me. Increasing stress levels at work meant that by mid-year I was just sleeping most of my Saturdays away, and the remaining time goes to my family. Got big fat zeroes for some favorites: Argent, Mage Knight, Descent, and X-Wing. Ah well, at least I can tell myself I have my priorities in order.

It wasn't a total loss. Putting a few unplayed euros on my list let me play those games enough to be confident that I'd be happy to trade them away. Off goes Suburbia and Kingdom Builder. Good-bye Agricola, I'm happier with just Caverna.

I *still* bought a bunch of games this year, all unplayed, waiting for that mythical free weekend. I think I might need to swear an oath for that in 2017.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2016 10:59 - 18 Nov 2016 11:02 #238766 by Mr. White
Very successful year for me. If I wasn't playing one of my games I was tinkering with it so no game sat unmolested this year and all got Mr. White time.

Blood Bowl -wrapped up a league, played in three tournaments, painted two teams, and have designed the kits for my four upcoming crowdsourced teams
DreadBall - played in a tournament, ran a league, painted three teams/free agents/mvps, playtesting DB2 over the next few weekends
Dark Future - reading the novels, designed scenarios...this is my big 2017 hobby project
Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower - painting it right now, playing in December when my buddy gets back from Afghanistan
Heroscape - ran a kid tourney, played lots with my son, kids played with the terrain and figs all year
Space Hulk: Death Angel - played about 5 solo, 2 with buddies, 3-4 with my son, twice with son and friends at sleep over
Condotierre - thrown down at 3 new bars this year, but played countless times at old favorites
Citadels - Got my wife and son in on it, about 5-6 plays
Settlers of Catan/ Ticket to Ride/Zooloretto/Dixit - about twice a month at least, still family favorites
Lost Cities/Battleline - too many times to count with the wife
Pokemon - countless times with son, took him to 3 tourneys, about 6 league days and two release parties
Pokemon Master Trainer - about 12 plays with the kids

That's the lot!
Last edit: 18 Nov 2016 11:02 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike, Unicron

More
18 Nov 2016 11:26 #238770 by Unicron
I learned that some of the games I had neglected to play weren’t making it to the table for very good reasons. I traded a few away. Churchill, COIN and Sekigahara hit 10 plays no problem. Some games are just going to rarely see the table, but I have to accept it as a rare treat or trade them to someone who will play them.

I can’t believe I thought I could get Game of Thrones to the table ten times this year. It’s one of my favorite games, but I no longer have enough players for it- meaning that I now wind up playing in less than ideal circumstances. My last game was pretty ridiculous. A friend invited me to play it with his group. I sat next to a very aggressive Greyjoy player (with questionable hygiene) who talked more shit than anyone I have EVER played with despite having only two games under his belt (both Greyjoy wins apparently). He asked how many times I had played. “Probably about 70” I replied. In the end, I left him in permanent timeout on Pyke. That prick wasn’t worth the card, and I was Stark, so that’s saying something.

More
18 Nov 2016 15:21 #238796 by Unicron

Mr. White wrote: Blood Bowl -wrapped up a league, played in three tournaments, painted two teams, and have designed the kits for my four upcoming crowdsourced teams

This inspires me to try adding Bloodbowl to my 10 x 10 next year. I should force Scott_F to play. It's much more fun when your same team is being dismembered week after week

More
18 Nov 2016 15:30 #238797 by Shellhead
I find the Cult of the New annoying, so I supported the spirit of the 10x10 quest. But I declined to participate because the goal was too far out of reasonable reach. If it had been 5 plays each of 10 different games, many of us would have had a reasonable shot at it, while potentially still enjoying some other games. Ten plays required playing two games per week. Depending on the games, that might require 3 or 4 hours a week, or even more. And then you effectively need at least one regular opponent or group that has bought into the idea of the challenge and won't insist that you try the latest game they got off Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
21 Nov 2016 10:43 #238857 by fastbilly1
I have found no one who wants to play Wizwar or Defenders of the Realm, and just lost steam with Xwing. I only have the first two waves so several battles in a night and things get samey.

More
21 Nov 2016 12:09 #238861 by Colorcrayons
The concept of 10x10 is good for those with largeish collections, but if you've culled it down to games you enjoy at least semi regularly, then it isn't really relevant.

I'm still trucking along with about thirty games, 10 of which are likely to go on the chopping block soon since they haven't proven to be evergreen. Good games, but not quite there.

I just don't see the point of large collections any more. Their existence seems to be attributed more to FOMO more than anything else I can think of. Which is a step towards hoarding I'd like to avoid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
21 Nov 2016 13:06 #238863 by Unicron

Colorcrayons wrote: I just don't see the point of large collections any more. Their existence seems to be attributed more to FOMO more than anything else I can think of. Which is a step towards hoarding I'd like to avoid.

I see that from some players. I think in some groups there are one or two who frequently host games and others who play. About half of the people I play with have fewer than 30 games, but those that host need to have games for different player counts and temperaments. If anything, I would think everyone owning a game is a good reason not to buy it. Or, maybe, that's what I keep telling myself so I don't pick up a copy of Blood Rage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
21 Nov 2016 15:52 #238886 by Colorcrayons
I used to have the boy scout host mentality too. So I can see that. But as someone else mentioned in the what games are you playing thread today, the older you get, the less likely you are to waste your time engaging in stuff you don't want to.

My attitude is; "These are the games I have that I enjoy, if you want something different than bring it yourself. Maybe you can sway me."

Gone are the days of owning certain games on contingency to match a certain style. 300+ game collection culled with a savagely brutal ruthlessness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Frohike, cdennett

More
21 Nov 2016 15:55 #238887 by Mr. White
Yep. Not only that, but I've found that friends appreciate being asked to bring their games. It's a win-win. I get to play it without storing it...they get their game played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
21 Nov 2016 16:55 #238891 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Mr. White wrote: Yep. Not only that, but I've found that friends appreciate being asked to bring their games. It's a win-win. I get to play it without storing it...they get their game played.

My main game group is only 4-6 people and we rotate through who gets the choice of games for each night. That way everyone gets to occasionally play that game that only they enjoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
22 Nov 2016 12:19 #238937 by SuperflyPete
Halfway through the year I had an epiphany and sold a lot of my games. Then I sold some more. And some more.

The only "new" games I have I gave to the group's members and The Others, which I got from Barnes for the miniatures to use with an old game.

I think it's been a smashing success for me, personally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Nov 2016 13:41 #238946 by Shellhead
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Nov 2016 14:12 #238954 by Almalik
We need to quarantine that goddamn patient zero Jeff White!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds