October 09, 2023
2478 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Where I went wrong: 2016 10x10 Quest to Kill the Cult

More
17 Nov 2016 16:57 #238690 by Unicron
Where did it all go wrong? It’s Mid-November, so you’re probably knee deep in new games despite having failed in your quest to play your list of 10 games 10 times.

Please post your excuses/revelations/admission of guilt here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2016 17:08 #238692 by JEM
One of my games still doesn't exist yet. Erm, that's all I've got.

More
17 Nov 2016 17:41 #238704 by Michael Barnes
Games Workshop Homecoming '16. Plain and simple. I should look at my list, I bet I've melted down most of them to make Warhammer figures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike, Unicron

More
17 Nov 2016 17:51 #238707 by Black Barney
If we rank how people did, I'm confident I'm in last place

More
17 Nov 2016 17:52 #238709 by Michael Barnes
There it is, that indomitable Canadian spirit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, Frohike, Unicron

More
17 Nov 2016 17:56 #238710 by barrowdown
I didn't have a list, but it looks like I only have three games I played ten times and none of them really count (Sentinels is solo and I can play it on my phone, Codenames and ONUW are party games). So if I had been here and made a list, I would have failed it miserably.

More
17 Nov 2016 18:48 #238716 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Because for me, my personal life mimicked what happened globally. Worst fucking year ever. (I think I managed about 30-40 of the 100, which isn't bad given the circumstances).

More
17 Nov 2016 19:59 #238722 by Michael Barnes
White people shit all over you and you died right after releasing an album? Dang, sorry to hear that.

Here's to a better 2017, yeah?

More
17 Nov 2016 20:59 #238726 by Da Bid Dabid
I'm actually really happy with my list, despite being no where near completing it. I only didn't play 2 of my games at least once and I'm sitting on 8 plays of Dune with a great chance to get that to 10 when the holiday season strikes and my gaming usually skyrockets! I did play Luchador! at least 10 times but that was a for sure so was left off the list. Add to that my experiencing a RPG for the first time ever and this is likely the best year I've had for gaming in the last 10 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

More
18 Nov 2016 04:12 #238737 by Thrun
A mixed bag for me, Troyes was the hot new thing to start the year off and ended up playing more than 100 times in the first few months of the year (and a similar amount online) Before totally burning out on it, and on the euro genre in general. Sold it.

Played a few times - Agricola (no wish to ever play again, but cant get rid of due to threats of wife violence), Lords of Vegas - sold, Acquire - sold, Innovation - Sold, Race for the Galaxy - sold, Brass - sold, Conflict of Heroes - sold

the only ones on the list I still have are
Twilight Struggle - played a few times, maybe 10, but maybe a couple of play shy
Tigris - similar to TS

several games not on the list got a lot more than 10 plays, Medici, High Society, Masters Gallery, Money, basically a lot of Knizia, but I only kept Medici and will probably sell it since everyone I know also has it.

El grande has seen a comeback, thanks to setting up a games Group at work, and as "non gamers" they have a nice refreshing attitude to games, and dont see the Point of churning through a new rules explanation every week so we basically play Tigris, El Grande or Medici depending on whether 4,5, or 6 turn up. We had Through the Desert with 3 a few times but I sold that also. I Think El Grande and Tigris in particular have caught their imagination, I don't see us playing anything other than that for the foreseeable future. They all seem to want to learn and improve their understanding of those games rather than fanny about with starting from scratch on Another new game. I Think their philosophy is a lot closer to mine, having been through the "oh look, new games!" phase for several years, to me it was a natural development to start to get sick of it and want to just get the most out of a few titles we really like. The Jeff White principle I guess.

But this Little addendum was interesting

Challenge to self: Learn Up Front - 1983
modified to Through the Ages new version - 2006/2015 (3/3 old) since I sold Up Front to focus on Combat Commander which I can find lots more opponents for and was a lot easier to learn

Through the Ages is shit and got canned directly (I didnt like the original version I dont know why I thought the new one would be better). Id like to play it solo on an ipad but no interest in it as a multiplayer live experience. I DID however finally get round to taking Combat Commander on, and have already exceeded 10 plays in the 2 and a half weeks since. Its FUCKING AMAZING and has canned pretty much all other games, and I feel like this will become the only thing I play for the foreseeable future, especially as the wife and my regular 2P gaming opponent both like it too.

Ive canned down from something like 1100 games and expansions down to around 10 at one Point, but now Combat Commander has taken over I've basically got Tigris and El grande at work (Medici too but I will sell that), Agricola in the cupboard due to wifes threats of violence, and then Twilight Struggle and Combat Commander at home. At some Point I'll get Twilight Struggle going again but I never imagined that Combat Commander would grab by the balls and become "the one" game. But it most certainly has, and its reinforced my feelings that I am 100% done with Euros (notwithstanding classics like Tigirs and El Grande which feel very different from what euros mean today anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratpfink, Unicron

More
18 Nov 2016 08:20 #238739 by hotseatgames
I ended up getting really bad turnouts for game nights. If I could replace every member of the group, I would do it. Fuck it, I'll play Titanfall.

More
18 Nov 2016 08:53 #238745 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Games Workshop Homecoming '16. Plain and simple. I should look at my list, I bet I've melted down most of them to make Warhammer figures.

You dropped to your knees and told GW "I'll suck it for a Silver Tower" brother. They hooked you.

More
18 Nov 2016 08:53 #238747 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: I ended up getting really bad turnouts for game nights. If I could replace every member of the group, I would do it. Fuck it, I'll play Titanfall.

Hit me up!

More
18 Nov 2016 09:33 - 18 Nov 2016 09:37 #238749 by Columbob
I'm on my way to turning it into a 5x20, or perhaps even 6x20, so not bad altogether.

I've touched on this before, but our game choice is a (somehwat) democratic process, so you don't want to foist game X on the group just to hit a random number of plays in a year. The game's getting played one way or the other.

It's a much easier challenge if you're playing solo games or 2-p games with your spouse for example (mine's not a gamer at all, except for the occasional party or social game - don't really care, there's plenty other stuff I love doing with her).
Last edit: 18 Nov 2016 09:37 by Columbob.

More
18 Nov 2016 10:27 #238755 by san il defanso
I think I made it on a couple of mine, like Pandemic Legacy and Imperial Assault. Stuff just happens sometime, and you play other things, and other things become more important. I'd probably make a much more doable list for next year, since I know better what kinds of games I WANT to play all the time.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds