October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GW and FFG Breaking Up?

More
14 Sep 2016 18:25 #234281 by Michael Barnes
I bought Sudden Death but I needed Foul Play...anyone want to trade?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2016 18:52 #234283 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

stoic wrote:

Columbob wrote: Nobody's asked the most essential question in all of this mess: WHAT ABOUT HORUS HERESY? It's not on the list! How many forlorn pallets of those are lingering around in the FFG warehouses? Or were they all shifted already?

"unexpected orders" haha

v

What's wrong with Horus Heresy other than it's a very long two player game and the miniatures don't fit well on the 3D buildings?

Never mind. fortressat.com/articles-boardgame-review...e-trash-horus-heresy

I own this game, but, I haven't had the courage to break the shrink on it.

More
15 Sep 2016 03:50 - 15 Sep 2016 03:51 #234294 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
For anyone plagued with FOMO over Warhammer Quest: ACG, it looks like FFG is honing the design with Arkham Horror: TCG (in the likelihood that you're into the Lovecraft stuff as well):

Last edit: 15 Sep 2016 03:51 by Frohike.

More
15 Sep 2016 06:04 #234295 by Matt Thrower
Having got my Team Manager expansions I thought I'd have one more scan down the list to see if there's anything else I might get FOMO on. Not really a fan of Talisman/Relic and got them both on PC anyway so good with that. Got too many long battle games, including StarCraft, so happy to pass on Forbidden Stars. Got Fury of Dracula and Chaos in the Old World so we're done ....

... wait, what's that?

Warhammer Diskwars?

I remember being interested in this when it came out but I passed because of reasons long forgotten. No-one talks about it any more. Is it worth picking up?

More
15 Sep 2016 07:53 #234297 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Lots of diskwars enthusiasts around here, Matt. I know San and Barnes liked it, other liked it a lot too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
15 Sep 2016 10:37 #234315 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
FYI it looks like FFG managed to get one last print run of The Woodland Expansion for Talisman in. According to their website it's currently on the boat. So if you couldn't find a copy (it seemed to have low stock at the moment of the announcement) it will probably be available again in a month or so. I figured I'd let folks know before they start paying scalper prices for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
15 Sep 2016 10:51 - 15 Sep 2016 10:53 #234317 by san il defanso

MattDP wrote: Having got my Team Manager expansions I thought I'd have one more scan down the list to see if there's anything else I might get FOMO on. Not really a fan of Talisman/Relic and got them both on PC anyway so good with that. Got too many long battle games, including StarCraft, so happy to pass on Forbidden Stars. Got Fury of Dracula and Chaos in the Old World so we're done ....

... wait, what's that?

Warhammer Diskwars?

I remember being interested in this when it came out but I passed because of reasons long forgotten. No-one talks about it any more. Is it worth picking up?

It's a great game, especially if you are like me and really don't want to get neck-deep in any miniatures games but like that kind of gameplay. All of the different elements that normally give me grief with games like this are smoothed out. I'm not much interested in modelling or buying TONS of stuff to build the army I want. I do like the Warhammer world though, and Diskwars is a really good way to get some tactical gameplay in without the baggage that often comes with that aspect of the hobby.

To be honest a big part of the appeal for me is that it's a great budget minis option. With one core and a copy of each expansion, and a big piece of green felt, I'm out about $50 altogether. I might get another core before everything vanishes altogether, just to have more dice and some doubles of a few of those core units, but I probably have as much as I'll realistically use now. Minis games are normally very daunting because of the time and money commitment, but Diskwars was exactly the game I wanted.

The gameplay itself is really good too obviously. I love the end-over-end movement, which really manages one of the most laborious parts of tactical minis for me. It has a lot of that GW kind of chaos, like how the Hellcannon can flip over and crush its own units, or how ranged attacks can hit nearby units. The melee combat is surirpsingly low-luck, which I actually like. It allows for a lot of depth with squad-building, but that same process is quick enough that you can do it in about fifteen minutes, probably shorter with some familiarity. The only issue is that there are a lot of different keywords to absorb up front, more than in something like X-Wing. I will probably find a player aid from Universal Head or something and print out a couple copies.

It's a really good game that'll probably never get its proper due, but I'm thankful we got what we did. It's much more contained than these types of games normally are, which is a relief for me.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2016 10:53 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, stoic

More
15 Sep 2016 17:40 #234348 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
How come no love for Dungeonquest? It hasn't been mentioned much in the GW/FFG Apocalypse. This is one game that I think will definitely get republished by GW and with a cooler and darker Warhammer setting.

More
15 Sep 2016 17:48 - 15 Sep 2016 17:50 #234350 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?

stoic wrote: How come no love for Dungeonquest? It hasn't been mentioned much in the GW/FFG Apocalypse. This is one game that I think will definitely get republished by GW and with a cooler and darker Warhammer setting.

I understand that GW only licensed it from the original swedish (?) owner. I believe FFG now has the license from this group. GW is out of the picture on this one I think.

But, yes, GW already put it in a cool setting:
Last edit: 15 Sep 2016 17:50 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, Egg Shen, stoic

More
16 Sep 2016 08:41 #234381 by Matt Thrower

san il defanso wrote: It's a really good game that'll probably never get its proper due, but I'm thankful we got what we did. It's much more contained than these types of games normally are, which is a relief for me.

All right, all right. Bought, with both expansions.

I'm a bad person. But a bad person with a lot of board games.

More
16 Sep 2016 08:47 #234382 by Michael Barnes
FOMO has turned us all into rotten, reprehensible people. Even Jeff White has been corrupted.

I just got Diskwars again too...$20. Looking for another core and the expansions...
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
16 Sep 2016 08:54 #234383 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: I just got Diskwars again too...$20. Looking for another core and the expansions...

I'm not buying a second base set.

I am NOT.

Stop staring at me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
16 Sep 2016 09:03 #234385 by ChristopherMD
Will definitely be doing a Revisiting: FFG/GW Games thread in about six months to see what's lasted from all the FOMO buying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars

More
16 Sep 2016 09:08 #234386 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
Yeah, I _think_ I bought the two death angel pod expansions I needed.

And I just splurged and bought a title on impulse....

More
16 Sep 2016 09:10 #234389 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic GW and FFG Breaking Up?
I finally gave in and decided to order BBTM and the expansions. Found out I missed the window and it's sold out everywhere except FFG direct. I'm hoping they come back in stock at regular retailers because I remember FFG's shipping being borderline extortionate.

I even went into the skeevy game store in my town looking for copies. I didn't find what I wanted, but I did find a dusty, sun-bleached copy of Horus Heresy priced at $100. I left it on the shelf.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds