October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Ten of your games you WANT to play this year

More
07 Jan 2016 06:53 #219222 by SuperFlySwatter

Msample wrote: Combat Commander - got in 16 games last year and still didn't feel like enough .
Pax Pamir. Just got it, want to see how it compares to Pax Porf .

Hey Martin, If you ever get the urge to play CC on VASSAL and can be arsed to put up with getting a noob Rolling with the system I would definitely be interested in making the time for that, I hadnt realised until recently you are the current World champion of CC as well :)

I'm thinking about getting PPam as well but I havent really got to grips with Porf yet so it would be one of those somewhat daft purchases I'm prone to making, still, from what I've read it seems like it would be pretty good and in the same vein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2016 08:45 #219228 by Legomancer

Alastair MacDirk wrote: @ Craniac

What drafting rules you got for Detroit Cleveland Grand Prix? You use the Daytona 500 rules or Homebrew your own?
Very curious to know how you implement drafting.....

Do you mean drafting as in cars taking advantage of position, or drafting as in choosing your hand? If it's the latter, I think that would vastly improve DCGP as the auction is pointless and uninteresting.

More
07 Jan 2016 15:24 #219289 by southernman
These games have not been played in the last 12 months, most for a lot longer (and, Yes, I know there are more than 10 but since in my recent '7 Songs in 7 Days' FB challenge I ended up picking at least 14 I've done bloody well here):
1. Twilight Imperium 3 - Player numbers issue. My AT mates are happy to play it but I would like to play with four as the minimum rather than three - might need a bigger location than my tiny UK house too.
2. Mare Nostrum and expansion - Player numbers, five or six for best, means it may have to be with my euro group but as they happily play Cyclades, Blood Rage and Sons of Anarchy I have a good chance here.
3. A Game of Thrones - Ain't going to happen, lucky to get four people for a session let alone six and I prefer a full compliment for this (may have to compromise here).
4. Battlestar Galactica - Same as for AGoT, four is the max number of people I get for AT sessions and I absolutely refuse to play this with less than five (I will suffer for my standards here).
5. Spartacus - the last time I played this was with three people who game very regularly together and they played it as a club between them and I was a spectator for most of the game so left it on the shelf after that.
6. Marvel Heroes - Needs four really and one of the my AT group isn't keen on it.
7. Warrior Knights with expansion - After playing Fief:1429 I think I like WK better for the scoring, the order cards, the variety especially from the expansion and more useful voting, it's just missing the marriage diplomacy.
8. War of the Ring with maybe the small expansions - I do get just two of us sometimes so maybe this instead of Horus Heresy and Tide of Iron.
9. Risk: Legacy - Never played in three years, only want to play with five (maybe four) and never had the numbers.
10. Space Crusade - Always play something like Doom or Descent 2E or similar but could get this out, then I'll sell it straight after.
11. Illuminati Deluxe and Nuclear War - A couple of old school card games that may not be the greatest but can be fun with the right players.
12. Kingmaker - I put this on for a laugh, it ain't going to happen.
13. Lord of the Rings with Sauron expansion - No one in either my AT or Euro groups seem to like this (I think its brilliant, especially playing as Sauron) so probably as unlikely as Kingmaker.

Games played last year but just the once and they need some plays:
Silverton - Great railroad and market game.
Axis & Allies: Pacific - Assymetric 3-player A&A game, very good and under-rated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, Hatchling

More
07 Jan 2016 15:31 #219290 by Scott_F
1. Twilight Struggle. Played maybe 20 games last year. I still feel like I want to play this about twice a week.
2. Argent. So many options each game and the spells are great.
3. Forbidden Stars. I still haven't found anyone willing to spend time with this game, but from my 3 plays last year I really liked it alot.
4. Cthulhu Wars. Except I don't want to teach it. After a dozen plays stomping on noobs isn't that fun. The game requires players to understand all the different spellbooks and options to really work. At least the playing time is short.
5. Study in Emerald. Great game, great variety in the card offerings, and plays in 2-3 hours.
6. Chaos in the Old World. See Cthulhu Wars comments except a longer game. Damn the fucking spam of cube pushers that last one month and take attention from real games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
07 Jan 2016 15:48 #219294 by metalface13

craniac wrote:

What drafting rules you got for Detroit Cleveland Grand Prix? You use the Daytona 500 rules or Homebrew your own?

Metalface13 (who I have met in real life) says the Daytona 500 rules work. I'm replacing Daytona 500, which I left in Qatar, and Detroit is cheaper.

Hmm ... I think you're misattributing me here. I don't think I've ever played a racing game before.

More
07 Jan 2016 15:49 #219295 by metalface13
This is easy.

1-9: Blood Bowl. You'd think in a city the size of Pittsburgh I could find some Blood Bowl players ...
10: Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

More
07 Jan 2016 15:51 #219296 by Last Alchemist
1. Space Crusade - I own everything for this, and it has been over 5 years since I played it. This year is going to be the year I get a whole campaign going.
2. Incursion - I waited so long for my ideal version of this game, now I have it, and I need to play the shit out of it.
3. Evolution - It was my most played game last year by a mile, and I want to get even more games of it in this year.
4. Condottierre - I fell in love with this little gem all over again this past year.
5. Dominare - Definitely and underrated gem of a game. To me it is the king of area control games.
6. Escape from Colditz - With the new edition on the way I expect I will be getting this played quite a bit.
7. Battlestar Galactica - Haven't played this much in the past few years, and I miss it.
8. Sentinels of the Multiverse - With the app its easier than ever to play, especially solo. With the new expansion just hitting this is no brainer.
9. Drakon - Fuck the new edition and its "balancing" ruleset. I have the awful smelling 3rd edition and I love it.
10. Cosmic - The greatest game ever made, and it always needs to be played more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 Jan 2016 16:22 - 07 Jan 2016 16:35 #219298 by Josh Look
I'm only going to play new games in 2016. Take that, old dudes!

Seriously though... TI3 as often as possible.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2016 16:35 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
07 Jan 2016 16:42 #219300 by repoman

Josh Look wrote: I'm only going to play new games in 2016. Take that, old dudes!

Like hell you are. I got games that need playing and you are on the invite list, Buster.

1) Up Front: Have it, pimped it with cards from arts cow, read the rules, watched a hideously boring tutorial video, think I got it...just got to play it.

2) Throne World: An oldie I've had kicking around. Done by the dude that did Race for the Galaxy but years before. I get the feeling it is a very proto space 4x game. Does everything you want in 4x but stripped way down and simplified.

3) Archipelago: Got the True Believers to play it twice. I think it's kind of great and would love to get to the point where strategy takes over from rules. So hard to get a game played often enough for that to happen.

4) Argent the Consortium or whatever it's called. Lets just agree to call it the "Shoulda Been Harry Potter Game'. I really liked it the one time I got to play and have been hankering to try it again. Same deal as Archipelago, would love to play it enough for the depth to come out.

5) ASL. But vs. live people. It's a very different game face to face than it is on line. Much more immediate. You don't have hours to analyze and decide. I have signed up for a Tournament in March up near Boston so that should be fun.

6) Empire of the Sun. Played half a learning game once. I thought it was a very cool variation on a card driven wargame.

7) Burma. The Operational Combat System games are neat but so hard. And I'm not talking rules. I'm talking figuring out what to do and how to do it. One of the most mentally draining systems I have encountered.

8) Pursuit of Glory/Paths of Glory. Either or both. Not a large chance here but there is always hope

9) Star Craft: Loved it the one time I got to play it.

10) Any and all other wargames I own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
07 Jan 2016 22:08 #219322 by Shellhead
1. Junta - a classic that is probably flawed, but has assumed shelf toad position in my collection
2. Villains & Vigilantes card game - relatively recent gift from Wade that just hasn't hit the table yet. I played the hell out of the rpg way back in the day.
3. Psycho Raiders - I want to explore this game more
4. Sons of Anarchy - I have only played twice, and the second game fell somewhat flat. Want to play more and see if I still like it.
5. Camp Grizzly - This game is actually pretty good, except for the slightly disappointing finale. I think that it may be easier to playtest and get a game right when it is co-op/solitaire, because then the designer can more easily get in a lot of playtests.
6. Dune - Haven't played this in many years, despite acquiring my own copy four years ago.
7. Cosmic Encounter - Still haven't played this enough to use any of the variants yet.
8. Spartacus - Haven't had a bad game yet and want to play more, especially with 5+ players.
9. Siege of the Citadel - Still want to play a full game of this some time.
10. The Hills Rise Wild - One of my favorite games, but somewhat tough to get on the table because it plays best with either 2 or 4 players.

More
07 Jan 2016 22:49 #219325 by Cranberries

metalface13 wrote:

craniac wrote:

Metalface13 (who I have met in real life) says the Daytona 500 rules work. I'm replacing Daytona 500, which I left in Qatar, and Detroit is cheaper.

Hmm ... I think you're misattributing me here. I don't think I've ever played a racing game before.

Sorry, it was CortexBomb! For some reason I had you both filed away in the same part of my brain, perhaps because you were both going to school and writing smart things about games.

boardgamegeek.com/article/2881732#2881732

More
08 Jan 2016 03:26 #219329 by Hatchling
I miss regular gaming. I haven't had that for over a year.

I can barely remember what games i have, but here's what I'm itching for for some reason:

-Chess
-Origins
-Cave Evil
-Warriors of God
-Wallenstein
-Tigris and Euphrates
-Space cadets away missions (haven't tried it yet)
-BSG

More
08 Jan 2016 10:19 #219339 by Columbob

Last Alchemist wrote: 1. Space Crusade - I own everything for this, and it has been over 5 years since I played it. This year is going to be the year I get a whole campaign going.

When we played the base campaign over 10 years ago, one of the Marine players reached the highest rank (Admiral or something) before the end, and there was nowhere left to go, so enthusiasm sort of petered out after that, and we never even got to the expansion material. We thought about upgrading him to a terminator armour or something, the Alien player was sort of against it 'cause those were "unofficial rules" or something, whatever. My brother wants to pull it out with the kids now, that would kick ass for them.

More
08 Jan 2016 11:03 #219350 by Chapel

Hatchling wrote: -Chess

My son, who is in first grade this year started the chess club, so I've been able to play a lot of chess lately. I think it's the first time I've played in 10 years.

More
08 Jan 2016 11:05 #219352 by Black Barney
That's funny, I just played chess this week for the first time in ten years too. I don't miss it
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds