October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

My Fave NTMs of 2015

More
01 Jan 2016 19:07 #218831 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic My Fave NTMs of 2015

Hex Sinister wrote: ARMADA #1

Playing space admiral defeats all.

I played Armada twice and was impressed by its accessibility but honestly I am not the kind of player that requires that so it kind of fell flat. OK but not spectacular.

Firestorm Armada is my current addiction but I haven't got the time to paint them like I'd like to, so I haven't played it as much as I'd like. Once painted, I'll probably never need anything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2016 11:05 - 02 Jan 2016 11:06 #218864 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic My Fave NTMs of 2015
Okay, I made my final list. Full results are here , but here's the list. Roughly ascending.

RUNNERS-UP
Mysterium
Luchador! Mexican Wrestling Dice
The Grizzled
Tammany Hall
Omen: A Reign of War
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Space Cadets: Away Missions
Roll for the Galaxy
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

GOTY
Codenames

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Inca Empire
San Juan (second edition)
Medina (second edition)

OLD TO ME
Cockroach Poker (most-played old-to-me game)
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 11:06 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rocketkiwi, OldHippy, engineer Al

More
03 Jan 2016 21:13 - 03 Jan 2016 21:17 #218953 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic My Fave NTMs of 2015
Runners Up

Ninjato (or Ninja), Samurai, Luchador and Flick Em Up with JJ were pretty fun. Codenames, Evolution and Tiny Epic Space Empire (?)

GOTYs
Imperial Assault with my Nephew has been a fantastic ride.
Space Cadets: Away Missions has been one of my favourite solo games. Love it.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 21:17 by Dr. Mabuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, engineer Al

More
04 Jan 2016 14:03 - 04 Jan 2016 16:59 #218989 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic My Fave NTMs of 2015
I stopped tracking plays this year so I don't have a solid list of NTM games, but standouts from memory are:

Luchador!
This is what a simple thematic dice game should be. The moves are fun, it's easy to get into your character, and the different modes of play all bring something different and fun without adding a bunch of minutiae.

Fury of Dracula 3e
I haven't gotten to play this one much yet but I'm still really high on it. If they had put the original GW The Fury of Dracula in the box like they did with Merchant of Venus this would be in my top 10 for the decade so far. As it is I'm happily playing and keeping both games.

Warrior Knights (Games Workshop)
I finally got around to playing this in 2015 and it's fantastically thematic and brutal. I wish I could drum up more interest to get more plays in.

Honorable Mentions:
Psycho Raiders and The Mushroom Eaters. I haven't gotten a full play in of either game because life creeped in at the worst possible times as it is wont to do, but a taste of each has me pining.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2016 16:59 by wadenels.

More
04 Jan 2016 17:25 #219016 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic My Fave NTMs of 2015
Forgot about Psycho Raiders...that's probably my GOTY, really. Fucking brilliant, and so much different than pretty much anything that's come out in years.

More
05 Jan 2016 20:47 #219131 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic My Fave NTMs of 2015
NTM Game of the Year: DungeonQuest: Revised Edition - I thought it'd be fun to play and sell just to try it, but it ended up being a huge hit. I still don't see it having forever shelf status though.

Runner-Up: Star Wars Imperial Assault - Perhaps if we'd finished a campaign this would have become #1. Its a strong #2 anyways. We will finish our campaign probably by this summer and then start on the Hoth campaign.

More
06 Jan 2016 10:48 #219166 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic My Fave NTMs of 2015
Star Wars Imperial Assault. Played a few skirmishes, but stuck mostly with campaigns. Started two different ones, both as Rebel. Need to play the Empire now.

Roll for the Galaxy. Blows away the card game IMO. Its a filler game more than one I'd go out of my way to play, but more accessible than some of my usual standbys like Glory Rome or Pax Porifiriana.

7 Wonders Duel - I think I still like the original, played 2P, with a third dummy that both players alternate card play for. But Duel has enough different mechanics that I'd still play it at the end of the day .

GMT US Civil War. Played New Years Eve, got through about half the campaign in a little over five hours. DON'T pay attention to the hordes of rules questions on BGG or CSW - its a small number of idiots too stupid to read or who are projecting what they think the game should be rather than what the designer ( CLEARLY ) spells out in the rules. Play the fucking game, its great.

And my GOTY:

Enemy Action Ardennes - played the German Solo and was blown away by how clever the design is. As soon as I finished, reset for the American Solo. Yeah the game is expensive, but the production is top notch - part of the cost is the copious play aids, three separate maps, and the move lavishly illustrated rulebook I've ever seen. Butterfield is currently without peer in this area. Have a 2P game lined up later this month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds