October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

F:AT's 2016 10 x 10 Quest to Kill the Cult: TALK THREAD

More
03 Dec 2015 11:51 #216484 by Columbob
So I already got a leg up as I've played a couple of those this week. Most of those are probably played 3-4 times a year, getting to 10 will be challenge.

1. Arkham Horror
(1x)
Not sure I'll reach 10, but it might go to 7-8. More than 10 if we commit to one of those campaigns.
2. Eclipse
(0x)
This is a hot one these days with my group.
3. Space Cadets: Away Missions
(0x)
I've played it 11 times already, and won't have a problem reaching 10+ more in the next 11 months. My deluded brother thinks he's seen all the game has to offer ("for now" he says) after the 3 first missions - he ain't seen nothing yet!
4. D&D adventure system (Castle Ravenloft et.al.)
(0x)
There are still many scenarios we haven't completed.
5. Descent 2nd ed.
(0x)
Finish an ongoing campaign and perhaps play some mini-campaigns and/or coops.
6. Archipelago
(1x)
Shouldn't be hard reaching 10 through solo play which can go super fast. I'd also like to play it a few times with the buddies.
7. High Frontier
(0x)
This is a wild shot. I don't even have the game yet, but I want that new edition, especially for solo play. Missed the KS.
8. Cosmic Encounter
(0x)
I haven't played this enough and want to push it on my fellow players some more.
9. Spartacus
(0x)
Not likely to reach 10, but one can dream.
10. Death Angel
(0x)
This should be feasible, with its short play time.

Alternate
11. Merchants & Marauders
(0x)
Not likely either, but I'd love to play it that much.

I could have gone with SW: Risk (I got it for my nephews for Christmas) as that's a short one, but will they like it enough/will I see them enough for 10 plays?
Also BB: Team Manager, but most games of that I've played were with 4 players and then it's just as long as Spartacus or M&M. Still, I have 3 alternates so suck it. If I manage 10 plays of half of those games and a smattering of the rest, it'd still be win-win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 14:45 #216501 by Frohike
I joined the quest because I feel like too many taps have been left open and I need to shut most of them off, or at least reduce them to a slower trickle, in the upcoming year. With my newfound venues for acquiring more games like auctions and math trades, the influx has become exponential in the past couple of months. And even if I vowed to not get a single new game next year, I would still have roughly 14 more games coming in from Kickstarter.

I'm not going to do the first-world handwringing thing about acquisition disorder. It's become tiresome to read on BGG, reddit, etc. I don't feel a shred of guilt over the increase in games on my shelves; on the contrary, I'm excited to play them. What's struck me this year is that my purchases have been driven by an increased curiosity about different design ideas, but that I also haven't taken the time to sate that curiosity by further exploring the games that intrigued me in the first place.

It leaves me scanning too many bands when I'm not even sure what kind of transmission I'm looking for anymore.

I think I need to simultaneously develop more cynicism and keener obsessions. Maybe some of these 10x plays will kill my fascination with certain concepts while 10x of another will inflate my fandom further. Either way, the net effect will be more discernment in my exploration of upcoming or new-to-me games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, SuperflyPete, Egg Shen, stoic, charlest, wesbaker, JEM

More
04 Dec 2015 09:41 #216539 by SuperflyPete
That's one of the design goals of the program. If you play good, solid, complex games 10 times, you tend to hone your bullshit detector. One of the reasons I enjoy being involved in serially reviewing games is that it gives you an insight into your own tastes better than otherwise, because it's one thing to play a game but it's another to play a game and then contemplate it enough to write about it cogently enough that it's a worth while read.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Dec 2015 10:45 #216545 by Legomancer
The person (sorry, don't remember who) who did the math really opened my eyes on this. To recap, if a game is 2 hours, then you're looking at 200 hours of play time. Divide by 50 weeks and that's 4 hours a week. So you have to play 2 of these games every week. I do a lot of gaming, but I can tell you that won't happen. The main stumbler will be that the people I play with won't be down for playing my chosen games over and over, no matter what I pick.

I can go with shorter games, but that seems like a munchkiny tweak. I think what I may do, because I am interested in the spirit of this, is pick ten games I want to get more plays of. At least one of them will always be in my crate. I'll see how many plays of them I can get in, but I won't necessarily aim for 10.

Another thing I plan on doing soon is another ultimatum list . After a huge buying binge I need to settle down and do some playing, and come up with 10 or so games I HAVE to play before I can buy any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Dec 2015 11:47 #216552 by SuperflyPete
In retrospect I'm thinking that maybe the Ultimatum List is a better idea. Perhaps a 10x3 Ultimatum list or something.

More
04 Dec 2015 20:38 - 04 Dec 2015 20:39 #216617 by wadenels
I like the 10x10 idea, but based on the math it might be better as an 8x8 or similar. That's 64% of the playing time of a 10x10 if we're doing the math the way it's been presented.

Either way, this is the type of gaming I want to do all the time. I die a little bit inside every time I play a game and we all agree it was awesome. I will ask, "Wanna set up and give it another go?" The answer is always "No, what else did everyone bring? Does that play 5? How long does it take?"
Last edit: 04 Dec 2015 20:39 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratpfink, Frohike

More
04 Dec 2015 21:33 #216621 by ratpfink
An Ultimatum List seems like the antithesis of a Quest to Kill the Cult. Sounds like a "let's play a bunch of games one time so I can buy more games to play one time" quest then. 10x10 is a lot, but what's the point of a goal to play a game once? I don't know if I'll get 10 plays of Here I Stand in. The most I've done is, I think, 8 in a year once. But at least I can try, and if I only get to 7 or 8 that's pretty good.

More
04 Dec 2015 23:10 #216630 by JEM
10x10 is a goal, doesn't have to be reached, just something to aim at.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike, wadenels, wesbaker

More
05 Dec 2015 08:42 #216659 by Legomancer

ratpfink wrote: An Ultimatum List seems like the antithesis of a Quest to Kill the Cult. Sounds like a "let's play a bunch of games one time so I can buy more games to play one time" quest then. 10x10 is a lot, but what's the point of a goal to play a game once? I don't know if I'll get 10 plays of Here I Stand in. The most I've done is, I think, 8 in a year once. But at least I can try, and if I only get to 7 or 8 that's pretty good.

The original Ultimatum list came about because I had not just bought some new games, but I had bought some games just for the sake of buying new shit. So I was forcing myself to stop doing that and get some things payed, especially some of the things I had sitting around that needed to get on the table. It made me stop looking at what was new and pay attention to what was already on my shelf. And it worked: I calmed my ass down, got rid of some stuff that was clogging the shelves, and appreciated things I was overlooking.

I can see where it could be a "hurry and play so I Can buy some more!" in the wrong hands, but that's not how I approached it.

A new Ultimatum List wouldn't be the same because although I've bought a bunch of stuff recently, almost none of it has been, "Hey, my buddy is putting in a CSI order, so I'll throw something in there just so I can have a new game." The stuff I've recently bought are things like new Neuroshima Hex armies, Space Cadets: Away Missions, Survive, and so forth. These are things I genuinely wanted and am glad to have; now I need to make sure they get played.

This year I tried to focus on playing less new bullshit and more of the stuff I want to play. I even stopped going to one of my groups because they were almost always focused on what's new and Kickstarted (with an emphasis on euro stuff) and I just didn't need any more of that in my life. I was successful; I went from playing 100 new to me games last year to 50-something this year. But I still have a group like what is described above, largely looking to try new things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
05 Dec 2015 10:39 #216667 by SuperflyPete
Jim's group, for sure.

More
06 Dec 2015 03:29 #216709 by SuperFlySwatter
just to be clear, this starts on January 1st right, not counting stuff that we're playing right now?

More
06 Dec 2015 09:38 #216720 by Columbob

Dr Manhattan wrote: just to be clear, this starts on January 1st right, not counting stuff that we're playing right now?

Pete said to start counting as of December.

More
06 Dec 2015 15:43 #216750 by san il defanso
I changed two games on my list. First of all I swapped out Five Tribes for Heroscape, since I've accumulated some Heroscape stuff and I'd like to get it played. Five Tribes will probably get some mileage anyway. I'm sure that will make Pete happy.

I also subbed Knizia's Lord of the Rings for Bohnanza. It's another game that people find appealing, but it's also one I've expanded pretty heavily without playing a lot of what I own, so there's that.

More
06 Dec 2015 18:43 #216764 by SuperflyPete
I started it AS OF THE DAY YOU CREATE A LIST.

This is because 100 games is a LOT of games for a lot of us, and I figured the longer the time, the better. Also, I'm only TALLYING the scores next December, but I truly hope that everyone will hit that goal, no matter how long it takes.

A little insight into Mr. Ruth: Almost all of my games have been played 10 times, at a minimum. Some, like Beasty Bar and Mission Command: Sea have been played more than thirty. Games like Attacktix and Heroscape are into the multiple thousands. Zooloretto is probably my most played non-CMG game, clocking in at 120+ at this point. I only add expansions in after 20 plays or so (to wit: I've had Mists of Zanaga for over a year and it's been played a total of twice....and we didn't finish once). The reason I am telling you fine people this is because it's an indication of my philosophy: I'd rather know the rules by heart, be able to teach a complex game in 15 minutes TOPS, and be able to help younger/newer players start off strong. The only way to do that is to know, by heart, the intricacies of play (to read between the lines of rules) and be able to have some experience in a game in order to really do that. But it also gives me a greater appreciation of the design, and when playing with the same people, it gives a better overall experience because we're all experts at the game.

A lot of people I know have never played a game more than four or five times, and so when I stumbled upon the Geeklist 10x10 contests (hint: They give away geek gold to people who complete it) I thought I should bring it over here to more interesting people who I like. It's a cool feeling when you've played a game a lot and can really get into the underpinnings of the game, creating incredible strategic moments. Fun stuff, folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Frohike

More
06 Dec 2015 21:05 - 06 Dec 2015 21:07 #216769 by Frohike
Zooloretto... really? Huh, maybe I should look at tha... dammit no. I've got my list.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2015 21:07 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds