October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Resolution 187F ---Gathering of Friends Representative

More
04 Feb 2008 11:51 #1819 by Deleted User 1

Gentlemen and Uba!

I have called this emergency session to vote on a matter of the utmost importance! As you know, for many years there has been a convention called the Gathering of Friends, a convention that blindly celebrates gaming in a closed convention. I say it is time to remove the proverbial "ostrich head from the sand" and expose this convention to the best in gaming.

Gentlemen, I am not proposing an invasion but a diplomatic mission to send an Ameritrash Representative into the convention to restore balance in the gaming community and to open the doors to peace.

Once a representative has been nominated and elected, I will approach two GOF members and request they vouch for the character of the elected Ameritrash Representative. This dual voucher is required for attendance and hopefully will gain an invitation to the Gathering of Friends Convention.

Gentlemen, I will open the nominations by naming a gentleman who most certainly could do the best job of opening the eyes and squelching the arrogance of the Old Guard Gathering of Friends members.

I nominate Michael Barnes as Ameritrash representative to the Gathering of Friends!!!

(applause and a small riot breaks out)

Barnes approaches the stage and then stage dives into the assembly hall, Barnes floats over the crowd as they chant, BARNES< BARNES< BARNES, while music from "The Fall" begins to play.

Weeks bangs the gavel (in rhythm to the music) and tries to restore order.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2008 13:29 #1830 by mikelawson
Why bother?

I mean, seriously, why bother?

Why not stick with this place and Trashfest and not bother getting involved with the Euro clubs?

--Mike L.

More
04 Feb 2008 14:21 #1833 by Michael Barnes
Beware of foreign entanglements.

More
04 Feb 2008 15:27 #1839 by PseudoIntellectual
Be trade-partners of all nations, and allies of none. I'd nominate Barnes too though.

More
04 Feb 2008 16:27 #1842 by Michael Barnes
They don't even play 187F at the Gathering, do they? I though it was just tables and tables of Ticket to Ride while Alan Moon is paraded around on a litter...and the lucky few (out of the lucky few) get invited back to see his fully painted DESCENT set up.

An insider drew this image of Mr. Moon:

More
04 Feb 2008 16:31 #1843 by Mr Skeletor
Isn't one of the requirements be that you actually be friends?

But if you do go Mick please knock off Moon's 3d decent tiles for me. Thanks.

More
04 Feb 2008 16:53 #1847 by Deleted User 1
Check out Alan Moon's stunning website. It just oozes class!!!

You will be on the edge of your seat while reading the biography section.

http://www.alanrmoon.com/

More
04 Feb 2008 17:01 #1848 by Deleted User 1

This year's Gathering of Friends should be the best ever. For those that don't know, Alan Moon was involved in the playtesting of "Circus Maximus" back in his Avalon Hill days. Ever since then he has developed a love for Chariot Racing and is currently undefeated at the live action "Circus Maximus" event at the GOF Convention.

Perhaps we could sponsor Barnes this year in a Heavy chariot to give him a run for his money?

More
04 Feb 2008 17:19 #1849 by Michael Barnes
I'm no good for that, man...the last time I played I blew up my chariot trying to savagely wreck somebody else...the chariot's wheel flew off, it flipped, landed directly in front of the horses, and they dragged me over the wreckage to my death.

I wonder if when Mr. Moon was playtesting all those great AH games (like CIV for example) if he ever told Greenwood "You know what? This game needs colored cards that you match in sets...kind of like CANDYLAND, but with a _twist_."

But if you do go Mick please knock off Moon's 3d decent tiles for me. Thanks.

You got it buddy...but I'm nicking the copy of DIAMANT made with real precious stones. I'm also going to make a shot for that King of All Boardgaming Crown the "friends" anoint Moon with each year.

More
04 Feb 2008 17:26 #1850 by jur
With a representative, you got to wonder what message you are sending by who you pick. If we really want to say: "fuck you, 'snoots" I recommend we send Mr Skeletor (and he'll not just repeat that verbatim). Barnes will be hard for them to swallow, but he'll be to eloquent to get the message through. If we want to suck up and make up to them (and show our submission) we send Steve Weeks.

I'd say the man to send is Ken B. Not only is he respected by them, few people bridge the divide like he does. He also may actually know some of the games being played, which is polite manners.

More
04 Feb 2008 17:32 - 05 Feb 2008 12:57 #1851 by Deleted User 1

Here is another FUN FACT about his Mr. Moon. Mr. Moon has the gameboards of all his games mounted on his walls like paintings. Knizia does the same thing. You draw your own conclusions! HA

To recap:

Barnes has been nominated and seconded

I have one nomination for Ken B.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2008 12:57 by Michael Barnes.

More
04 Feb 2008 23:09 #1865 by Ken B.
It depends...is this the sort of party where one places one's genitals inside the mashed potatoes?

More
05 Feb 2008 04:39 #1878 by Mr Skeletor
Jur wrote:

With a representative, you got to wonder what message you are sending by who you pick. If we really want to say: "fuck you, 'snoots" I recommend we send Mr Skeletor (and he'll not just repeat that verbatim).

Problem is I have nothing against TGoF. Apart from the dumb title maybe.
The Gathering is really just an industry party, like the kind Hollywood throw all the time, except with games. Big deal really, it's just Moon throwing a really big party.
The real problem with the gathering is all of the losers who make a really big deal about it. They remind me of the tossers who line up for 3 days in the cold so they can watch the stars go down the red carpet - umm, get a life?
Anyone crying about not being able to go to the gathering is clearly a knob.

More
05 Feb 2008 09:11 #1890 by Schweig!
the*mad*gamer wrote:

I nominate Michael Barnes as Ameritrash representative to the Gathering of Friends!!!

(applause and a small riot breaks out)

Barnes approaches the stage and then stage dives into the assembly hall, Barnes floats over the crowd as they chant, BARNES< BARNES< BARNES, while music from "The Fall" begins to play.

BARNES BARNES BARNES!!!

:D

More
05 Feb 2008 10:00 #1899 by Michael Barnes
If I am nominated as your candidate to the Gathering of Friends, I promise to sneak into the Repository of the Sacred Roster and ink in all the names of everyone with a F:AT account. Let's just say that the Gathering 2009 will be a significantly different event.

But I do need a vice candidate, someone to be the Ben Kenobi to my Qui-Gonn Jinn...I'd like to vote for the level-headed Ken B. He would bring a Will Smith-style appeal that will temper my more volatile edge. Plus he loves MISSION RED PLANET, so we'll have an olive branch to extend to them at least long enough for me to spike the punch.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds