October 09, 2023
2762 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2914 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Eve... the board game?

More
20 Aug 2008 20:53 - 20 Aug 2008 21:03 #10358 by Thaadd
So I am a big Eve nerd, which pretty much anyone stuck in a room with me for more than an hour will find out. Often to their dismay. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, it's a 'higher difficulty' massive multiplayer online game based on a future universe in space. The tutorial took my esteemed gamer buddy Mr. K. Wilson 6 hours, and he said it was bloody hard (which made me want to try it!). No levels, extremely complex UI, and a group combat system that sucks in 'real life' military people like gamer-catnip. A system that means you really can (if organized) grief people 22 hours a day for weeks.

Required Wikipedia link:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve-online

So this morning, bossman said 'So... hear about the Eve boardgame?' and I was like yah, yah, I know about that. Because the whole franchise was started by an Icelandic company, who used a boardgame to somehow get a cash grant. It's way out of print, only in icelandic, and was very small print run. Under 300k people speak Iceland so no big surprise there. (I fail at finding the link on BGG to the game though. Would have to dig, and :effort:) I still need to wrangle a copy of that someday...

Turns out though, they announced a new Eve boardgame at GenCon. But...it's going to be a Euro. Gah. Welp.:blink:

www.icv2.com/articles/news/13098.html

Very curious how it will be. Not had a chance to play any of the White Wolf board games yet... I know I will buy the sucker, hell or highwater, but still... a euro? Oh, CCP....
Last edit: 20 Aug 2008 21:03 by Thaadd. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2008 21:39 #10363 by ChristopherMD
I like the EVE CCG, also from CCP before they merged with White Wolf.

More
20 Aug 2008 21:50 #10364 by Mr Skeletor
And still no one has announced a Masters of the Universe boardgame.
Well, one since the 80s anyway.

No respect for the classics damnit.

More
21 Aug 2008 00:11 #10368 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Eve... the board game?
Mad Dog wrote:

I like the EVE CCG, also from CCP before they merged with White Wolf.

I bought the two starter decks, and a fistful of boosters and... never have managed to play a game. They are very pretty! But I am so very out of CCG practice, and while I have cornered a coworker into reading the rulebook, we have not figured out a time that works for us to play. (I rarely take lunch away from my computer/phone any more... forums and a sammich tend to be my lunch break).

The CCG is SO VERY game related, I have a hard time grasping why or how anyone not a least a former Eve nerd would get it. Like playing A Game of Thrones CCG without reading the books.

If they are doing Demos at Fanfest this year, and if I am sober enough to get rules, might try a demo. Last year I poked my head in and then got distracted away.

More
21 Aug 2008 02:16 #10375 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Eve... the board game?
Well, I mean, EVE online is pretty much a resource maximization problem, so maybe a euro isn't so bad.

ZING.

In all seriousness, does anyone really buy the uniqueness of any of the races or ships in the game? I played for like a month or two and it was extremely bland thematically. Now, as an engine for unlimited pvp madness, definitely...

More
21 Aug 2008 07:23 #10378 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Eve... the board game?
icv2.com wrote:

“It’s got a Euro-style mechanic to it,” Thorarinsson said.

It only says a Euro-style mechanic to it so that could be like role selection in TI:3.

More
21 Aug 2008 09:22 #10384 by ChristopherMD
Thaadd wrote:

The CCG is SO VERY game related, I have a hard time grasping why or how anyone not a least a former Eve nerd would get it. Like playing A Game of Thrones CCG without reading the books.

I never played the EVE Online game. I've read some of the articles/histories on their website so I know more than I do about, for example, Twilight Imperium's setting. I like the space empires genre and that's what attracted me to the CCG initially. Nobody I've played it with has played EVE Online either and they all got into it.
For what its worth, the CCG is easy to learn because there's basically four card types you play with and its pretty obvious what they all do when you read them. Locations, Ships, Starbase Upgrades, and News.

More
21 Aug 2008 14:14 #10400 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Eve... the board game?
Eve = Firefly + eBay

More
02 Dec 2008 10:10 - 02 Dec 2008 10:11 #14698 by ChristopherMD
I don't want start shilling for Tanga here, but the current deal for an EVE Second Genesis CCG kit is a good one. The game can be played with just the fixed starters.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2008 10:11 by ChristopherMD.

More
02 Dec 2008 12:59 #14713 by Stephen Avery
Shill! Shill!

J/k I like staying on top of deals. I still haven't played the last CCG i ordered fr tanga. (Firestorm I think...)

Steve"Tangaite"Avery

More
02 Dec 2008 14:09 #14721 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Eve... the board game?
Citadel wrote:

icv2.com wrote:

“It’s got a Euro-style mechanic to it,” Thorarinsson said.

It only says a Euro-style mechanic to it so that could be like role selection in TI:3.

Yeah, White Wolf's other games are pretty trashy. I think they may just be excited to say it has a single Euro-style mechanic in the game.

More
03 Dec 2008 07:33 #14808 by Anders Fager
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Eve?

More
03 Dec 2008 09:18 #14811 by ChristopherMD
Anders Fager wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Eve?

Where is Thaadd when you need her? Oh well, just go here and you'll get the idea;

EVE Online

More
03 Dec 2008 09:50 #14817 by Anders Fager
thx

More
03 Dec 2008 16:41 #14852 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Eve... the board game?
I wouldn't mind seeing a game where you are a trader/smuggler of the Han Solo sort. You could take the money you make to improve your ship by things like a better hyperdrive, guns, shields, etc. Other players could be competitors and could through roadblocks in your way like customs, governmental ships, etc.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds