October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dust?

More
17 Jan 2008 12:22 #954 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Dust?
mtlawson wrote:

You know what someone needs to do? Make a game titled "Attack of the 50ft Woman: Busen Memo Edition".

Wishlisted!

Malloc wrote:

The game looked good, units were nice artwork was pretty good... i dig the puzzle map but game play just was average.

That's what I'm talking about. I'd be kind of pissed if I spent some precious time on a game that costs more and does less than an $8 Nexus Ops box. Maybe once my kids can play I'll have the inclination to break out something like this and take one for the team, but for now, I need you folks to filter the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2008 12:24 - 17 Jan 2008 12:26 #956 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Dust?
Let me break it down to you like this. It's a good game if you want to sit around and bullshit, have a couple of big fights, talk shit, and generally pay little or no attention to how the game works as a whole and focus on socializing. It's good for that, but if I want to play something and really get into the game part of it all, DUST ain't it.

It also really depends on who you play with...if you play with a bunch of rowdy, vengeful folks who'll do shit just to piss somebody off it's a lot more fun but there again there's plenty of games that fill that role.

I do think it's pretty good all things considered, but that's about it...it is very workmanlike despite a couple of pretty neat ideas tossed in like the card mechanic. It's really a shame they didn't parlay the cool theme and visuals into something a little more substantial in the gameplay.

At any rate, it's a hell of a lot better than BLOOD FEUD IN NEW YORK.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2008 12:26 by Michael Barnes.

More
17 Jan 2008 12:48 #963 by Pat
Replied by Pat on topic Re:Dust?
I've never played this game. I am usually a sucker for theme and presentation, and this game never had me raise an eyebrow. It reminds me of Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends for the PC which had all sorts of potential but just was too flat. This game dust looks like different factions of the "vinci" fighting each other with no magic or aliens. Someone needs to develop a world conquest game with completley different factions yet balanced.

More
17 Jan 2008 14:39 #985 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Dust?
Michael Barnes wrote:

At any rate, it's a hell of a lot better than BLOOD FEUD IN NEW YORK.

A shame that SHOGUN/SAMURAI SWORDS beats the hell out of both of them. :D

More
17 Jan 2008 17:28 #1005 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Dust?
Can someone write a full review please?

More
31 Jan 2008 01:58 #1699 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Dust?
Malloc wrote:

ok I played it last night and I think Barnes is being kind.... Dust did absolutely nothing for me. It as much of an AT re-hash as pillars of the Earth is a Euro re-hash. I would pay for the game and I might play it again but only if other games were not available. It fills poorly the same whole as Nexus ops fills so well. It doesn't even strike me as any better then the many new versions of risk floating around out there and I totally do not feel like the theme is in there at all. I was playing with some Sci-fi 1930's looking units on a generic map of the globe....been there and had more fun with other games...

The game looked good, units were nice artwork was pretty good... i dig the puzzle map but game play just was average.

-M

I liked it, myself, although that might just be because I won both times I played it. I don't like it enough to pay 60 dollars for it, but if I had 60 bucks lying around I'd buy it. It is very light, once you get past the core concepts you can sit back, relax, crack jokes until it gets to your turn, carry out your turn in 5-10 minutes then repeat. I would definitely snap it up for 35-45 dollars without hesitation. $60+ is a bit steep for anything short of an FFG, imo.

More
06 Feb 2008 14:23 #2059 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Dust?
Too bad this is getting not-so-good comments from people because I was very interested. I can tell the theme is very abstracted from the source material, which to me fits better as a Risk alternative since the abstractness of that game was part of its classic charm. Although considering the FFG factor and a comment by the designer I wouldn't be surprised to hear of an expansion for this game that adds in more flavor.

Anyways, can you compare this with Risk 2210 as far as fun and depth (I realize neither is "heavy")? 2210 always seemed kind of a generic setting too. Which do you think is more thematic?

More
06 Feb 2008 14:25 #2060 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Dust?
I think DUST is more fun, actually...I thought RISK 2210 was kind of dull overall (newer iterations have fared much better, I think). It seemed to add too much clutter and not enough fun. DUST is just dumb fun over all, as long as you don't expect it to actually be about the tanktop ladies.

More
07 Feb 2008 14:10 #2188 by Johnny
Replied by Johnny on topic Re:Dust?

Anyways, can you compare this with Risk 2210 as far as fun and depth (I realize neither is "heavy")? 2210 always seemed kind of a generic setting too. Which do you think is more thematic?

Dust and Risk 2210 pretty much fill the same hole.
Dust's main advantage is how the game ends. Progressively gaining victory points is a lot smoother than 2210's automatic Round 5 end.

2210 has an edge theme-wise. The heavier use of cards and having named territories put it ahead of Dust (not by much though).

More
11 Feb 2008 17:49 #2438 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Dust?
Certainly a beer and pretzels game. Not the kind of game I would ever buy, but I was given it as a gift, so I felt obliged to try it.

Not bad, just not much too it. Maybe it could use a little more chrome and flavor to fill it in but that might ruin it for some.

It's not bad per se, just not all that interesting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds