October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH expansion

More
15 Apr 2008 10:06 #5003 by Michael Barnes
Hey, did anybody get this yet? I've heard that on some other board game sites there has been a lot of outraged nerd bitching about some of the color matching or something...I could care less about that because I'm not an outraged, poorly potty-trained nerd, but I'm curious what y'all think about what it adds...I'm not the biggest fan of the base game but everybody I know loves it enough to warrant picking it up. Robert Martin even kind of liked it, which is amazing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2008 11:16 #5008 by ubarose
My copy is in the mail. I expect it by the end of this week. What I heard is that the card backs from the expansion may not exactly match the first printing of the base game, but does match the later printing. I have a second printing of the base game, so even if my expansion matches, it doesn't comfirm that the expansion matches the other printing of the base game. Stuff like this in a light, silly game like this doesn't really matter much to me. The card backs of every Talisman expansion were a differnt shade of green. Knowing which card might be next just became part of the game.

More
15 Apr 2008 11:52 #5010 by Druen Kree
Man it must suck to live in such a perfect world to have it unravel on you just because some silly little mess up on a board game.

More
15 Apr 2008 12:11 #5013 by Michael Barnes
But Druen, you could be drawing a card and because it has a slightly different cardback YOU COULD POSSIBLY KNOW THAT THE CARD MIGHT BE "THIS COULD BE OUR LAST NIGHT ON EARTH"! Think about what that does to the balance, the strategy.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! I'M OUTRAGED!

More
15 Apr 2008 12:37 #5016 by benny lava
Michael Barnes wrote:

But Druen, you could be drawing a card and because it has a slightly different cardback YOU COULD POSSIBLY KNOW THAT THE CARD MIGHT BE "THIS COULD BE OUR LAST NIGHT ON EARTH"! Think about what that does to the balance, the strategy.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! I'M OUTRAGED!

Oh geez - those are the absolute worst posters on BGG and they truly define the term eurosnoot. Can you imagine the meltdown if the box was hard to open on top of the boards not matching exactly? They might have a collective stroke. Wait a minute...that could be a good thing...

More
15 Apr 2008 13:53 #5023 by mikoyan
Yeah, because we all know that the esteemed distributor (or publisher or whatever) of Agricola has never had a problem with a box smelling like...I don't know...ass.

I can safely report that my copy of Last Night on Earth took about 15 seconds to open. That's longer than your average Eurogame but still better than the 30 or so minutes it takes to open Red Planet...

More
15 Apr 2008 21:39 #5043 by Mr Skeletor
Non matching card backs increases the strategy of the game.

More
15 Apr 2008 22:14 #5048 by Ken B.
Now that it's finally back in stock, the base game is going to be on my next order. After a few plays, I'll decide whether to pull the trigger on the expansion or not, but I probably will. Looks like it adds some cool stuff to the mix. Kind of the "buffet" style expansion that FFG often offers--pick and choose your favorite stuff and go to town.

More
16 Apr 2008 09:55 #5059 by Schweig!
Is "Last Night on Earth" that Anime pr0n game?

More
16 Apr 2008 18:29 #5077 by Old Dwarf
Mine is coming from a West Coast on-line store so its due 4/22 in NJ.

The 1st printing of the base game turned out darker than planned but it gave the
boards a look that fit the game theme.So the expansion boards are said to be too light
to match the orginal game boards giving the town a sort of night in one location &
day in another.

So if you had a 2nd printing base game & the expansions everything matches if you
got the 1st printing base game & the expansion you have a rather mismatched town.
FFP said they are looking into to how to correct this for those who have the
1st printing of LNoE(which after all were the buyers who made the game a success
and an expansion possible).

Yes its a "Geek Storm"but it a not inexpensive game & the expansion is ment to
be mixed in with the base game boards so I can see where people are a little put off.
FFP obviously knew the boards didn't match but never said anything until the product
was in players hands & the complaints started.

OD

More
16 Apr 2008 20:22 #5084 by Mr Skeletor
Reapersaurus was complaining today that the fact the blue dice were printed kind of purple on the cards. He couldn't believe he had never heard of this until today and thought it was a really bad call on FFGs part.

Fuck I'd hate to make some of these guys a pizza.

More
16 Apr 2008 21:51 #5085 by ubarose
Old Dwarf wrote:

So if you had a 2nd printing base game & the expansions everything matches if you
got the 1st printing base game & the expansion you have a rather mismatched town.
FFP said they are looking into to how to correct this for those who have the
1st printing of LNoE(which after all were the buyers who made the game a success
and an expansion possible).

Yes its a "Geek Storm"but it a not inexpensive game & the expansion is ment to
be mixed in with the base game boards so I can see where people are a little put off.
FFP obviously knew the boards didn't match but never said anything until the product
was in players hands & the complaints started.

OD

If it is just the boards, I wouldn't give a damn. Plus having the darker boards of the 1st printing gives you early adopter bragging rights. Actually, considering the type of players who have embraced LNoE, I bet most of them don't care about the mis-matched boards. It's probably just a small vocal minority that are complaining.

More
16 Apr 2008 21:58 #5087 by Ken B.
ubarose wrote:

If it is just the boards, I wouldn't give a damn. Plus having the darker boards of the 1st printing gives you early adopter bragging rights. Actually, considering the type of players who have embraced LNoE, I bet most of them don't care about the mis-matched boards. It's probably just a small vocal minority that are complaining.[/quote]

Bingo.

It became a non-issue as soon as Flying Frog indicated they're looking into how to fix it. My guess is they'll do a run of "darker" tiles for early adopters. And yet...people are still bitching about it. I'm willing to bet they changed printers and were a bit surprised by the lighter results, but it was too late and too expensive to trash that batch. I'm sure the expansion went to print with the new base game so the issue wasn't known to them until BOTH had been printed...quite a problem just to chunk all that product.

Reapersaurus bitching about something? Perish the thought.

My brother bought a copy of this today...we stopped by the comic shop and there it was. The bastard had money and I didn't, so he scooped it up. The production quality is NICE. The scenario cards and character cards are really nice and thick, the new cards have a good finish and don't suffer from the 'stuck together' problem that some talked about with the 1st print run, those minis are incredibly detailed (down to the buttons on shirts, even...AMAZING molds on these suckers), and the board sections look to be of strong quality.

Haven't gotten to listen to the CD yet...that should be great.

Just from appearances alone, a great example of a smaller company doing a knockout production at an affordable price. We'll probably squeeze in a game this weekend and I can offer better opinions on it.

More
17 Apr 2008 00:59 #5089 by KingPut
I just bought Last Night on Earth and Growing Hungry today from a game store in Baltimore. Since I probably bought the 2nd printing of Last Night on Earth it seems like my cards and boards match up pretty well.

New Characters include Amanda the Prom Queen, Kenny the Super Market Bag Boy, Rachelle the Detective and Sam the Diner Cook.

More
17 Apr 2008 08:35 #5100 by Notahandle
Ken B. wrote:
"It became a non-issue as soon as Flying Frog indicated they're looking into how to fix it. My guess is they'll do a run of "darker" tiles for early adopters. And yet...people are still bitching about it. I'm willing to bet they changed printers and were a bit surprised by the lighter results, but it was too late and too expensive to trash that batch. I'm sure the expansion went to print with the new base game so the issue wasn't known to them until BOTH had been printed...quite a problem just to chunk all that product."
Actually I think I read that they're considering making base set lighter boards available to early buyers. Makes sense, that way they only have to provide "replacements" once, instead of for every future expansion. And they only have to print some extras, instead of an entirely new print run for darker Growing Hunger boards.

Ken B. wrote:
"Haven't gotten to listen to the CD yet...that should be great."
There were several complaint threads of course... It's a good CD, a nice unobtrusive background atmosphere. If there's a player nearby I'll put it on as it does add to the experience.

Ken B. wrote:
"We'll probably squeeze in a game this weekend and I can offer better opinions on it."
Trust me, you'll love it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds