October 09, 2023
2613 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2809 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Your Worst Defeat

More
09 Apr 2009 18:49 #25668 by Shellhead
Your Worst Defeat was created by Shellhead
Now tell us about the worst defeat that you have suffered in an AT game. What made it so bad? Did you lose by a lot? Was there real money involved? Or just excessive gloating by your opponent?

In recent memory, my worst defeat was actually in Arkham Horror. We had eight players, but the game was done in roughly 90 minutes, and we lost badly. I can't remember the exact GOO, but it was the one where you need to sacrifice gate and monster trophies during final battle, including at the very start of the final battle. Anyway, five gates opened in the first six turns, so we were sent to final battle pretty quickly. Not only were we poorly equipped, none of us had any trophies at all. Two people had spent monster trophies for blessings, and nobody else even got any trophies. So we all died at the very start of final battle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2009 21:35 #25685 by generalpf
Replied by generalpf on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
I've got several in mind. They all involve me as the Fellowship in War of the Ring, somewhere around Mordor.

More
09 Apr 2009 22:13 #25686 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
All of my worst defeats involve Bloodbowl-- the worst being when my opponent won by default: I couldn't field the required 3 players, and my opponent decided to claim the win instead of continuing to pound the shit out of my two remaining players "out of pity."

It was the longuest two and a half hours of my life.

More
09 Apr 2009 22:16 #25687 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
Mine was also in Arkham Horror. Less than 10 minutes and I didn't get a second turn to be the first player.

More
09 Apr 2009 22:45 #25690 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
Of the top of my head? Probably the last time I played Star Wars CCG (I didn't stop playing because I lost, but because I couldn't find anyone else to play with after that). This was probably back in 2000 or 2001, I would go to the local game store every so often for Star Wars ccg gaming. Well one week, after I finally got my "blow up the Death Star" light side deck fine tuned, I showed up and only a couple other people were there (there were usually at least 20 people for these things; about this time everyone seemed to just stop coming). They thought we could play teams (2 v 2) for fun; I was on the light side.

My objective was "Massassi Base Operations/One In A Million" which stuck a couple Yavin 4 sites in play at the start. I don't remember what the other people's objectives or starting stuff was, but before long Yavin 4 seemed to be the main arena (not that there was much land battles going on). I had out General Dodona with some Rebel techs in the Yavin 4 war room, and my partner had Boushh (spy version Leia) sitting around somewhere but I think she eventually ended up in the war room. I believe the interesting stuff was going on in space, since that seemed to be the focus of both my deck and one of my opponents. The Empire were amassing a bit of an army (complete with Vader) out in the jungle, but I wasn't concerned because my techs were all safe inside the war room (so I thought). I also had a lone dude sitting in the docking bay, which I realized was dumb of me a little too late; the Imperials deployed an AT-AT and then played 'Elis Helrot' (an interrupt that lets you move a ton of guys to any space) and totally PWNT whats-'is-face in the docking bay. :( I think we lost 30 to 40 force or something. Shortly after, I had played the Death Star and its Trench, and was getting ready to make the Imperials lose a ton of force, when Elis Helrot strikes again (he goes into the USED pile), and this time takes everyone to the war room. Another 30-something force lost. I didn't forfeit all the techs because I was doing the Trench Run on my turn, but I moved them away after I a-sploded the DS, making the Imperials lose 30-something force. It wasn't much longer until the game ended.

So, I didn't get utterly destroyed without at least doing some damage back, but it was so depressing to see Elis Helrot (a common used interrupt) doing more damage to me than my objective, Rebel techs, and carefully executed Trench Run did back. If we had more life left after the trench run, we may have had a chance; the "One in a Million" objective gives the Rebels some nice force drain bonuses and deployment discounts after the Death Star is destroyed.

More
09 Apr 2009 22:45 #25691 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
Only one that comes to mind was when I was playing When Darkness Comes - Out of the Frying Pan.

I enter game store.

I find flashlight.

I find zombie.

Zombie has buffet.

The End.

More
09 Apr 2009 22:56 #25692 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
My worst defeat was last May. Ken B. came into town and we played Ti3 with Malloc. I guess I could blame it on going to happy hour before playing. Since it was a Wednesday night we only played to 7 VP. Malloc had a small lead early in the game. The score was like 4 to 2 to 1. But than Malloc ended up pulling off some move and ended up crushing us. The final score was something like Malloc 7 and everyone else ended up with 0 to 2 points.

More
10 Apr 2009 02:52 #25701 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
An online Titan tournament in which a battle which fairly even sided became a one sided landslide. I rolled 29 dice for hits on 4,5 or 6 and scored two hits on an angel. It went on to take out my Ranger, Cyclops and Titan. RECOCKULOUS!!

More
10 Apr 2009 09:40 #25709 by jhuntin1
Replied by jhuntin1 on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
billyz wrote:

All of my worst defeats involve Bloodbowl-- the worst being when my opponent won by default: I couldn't field the required 3 players, and my opponent decided to claim the win instead of continuing to pound the shit out of my two remaining players "out of pity."

It was the longuest two and a half hours of my life.

Many of my worst defeats involve Blood Bowl as well. The worst I remember is my Dwarf team's first game. My friend took the first turn and proceeded to kill Grim Ironjaw (star player) on his first tackle. It went downhill from there.

More
10 Apr 2009 10:03 #25710 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
Hmmmm... Too many crushing defeats to count in 40K, MtG, Axis and Allies, Necromunda, on and on...

I couldn't even mark down a single instance of the most crushing.

Defeat is one thing I excel at.

More
10 Apr 2009 10:56 #25720 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
MWChapel wrote:

Hmmmm... Too many crushing defeats to count in 40K, MtG, Axis and Allies, Necromunda, on and on...

I couldn't even mark down a single instance of the most crushing.

Defeat is one thing I excel at.

40k for me is a wash. My win rate something like 60/40. Sometimes I do really well as Pimp Guard, other times it feels like my entire army is full of COBRA extras from G.I. Joe.

More
10 Apr 2009 11:21 #25723 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
Blood Bowl and Necromunda losses are always the worst. Because not only did you lose miserably but now your entire team/gang is screwed over with permanent injuries, death and money loss.

More
10 Apr 2009 12:26 #25729 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
I used to run a Dark Eldar army in 40k, but couldn't afford enough of their transport ships. Apparently that is the only army build that amounted to anything, so I spent many grueling games getting torn to pieces by just about everyone. Although right when the Tau came out, I managed to fuck them up in hand-to-hand. Other than that, that whole armies existence accounts to my worst defeats.

More
10 Apr 2009 13:51 #25733 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
Oh yeah, I forgot about 40k. Probably my worst loss in WH40k was a game I played against a friend years ago. I had about 1500 pts of Dark Angels and he fielded a Basilisk and a crapload of Cadians with lascannon and heavy bolter teams. This was about the time I started making some city terrain, but I only had a couple buildings done so far, so we played with just them as terrain. Add to that the fact that we started at around midnight and I was deliriously tired. I think I tried moving my marines around in circles in one of the buildings because I couldn't remember what I was planning on doing with them. I didn't attack en mass, either. I don't think I killed many Cadians. It was probably my worst 40k game ever.

More
13 Apr 2009 18:19 #25836 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Your Worst Defeat
Not sure if it was my worst, but it certainly sucked. We were playing 2nd Fleet and my carrier groups were finally coming into position when the armistice was signed....Bah.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds