October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Classic AT that got me started

More
11 Jan 2008 19:53 #388 by Michael Barnes
I am mad because my copy of Magic Realm is missing!

Mine had a pack of guitar strings (Ernie Ball 9's) and a pinup image of Farrah Fawcett in the box...did I get yours by mistake?

WRASSLIN' really needs to be elevated to the classic status it richly deserves...few games are as ludicrous yet as fun. Better than PILLARS OF THE EARTH by far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2008 20:57 #398 by maka
When I was a kid (in the 80s) we played Escape from Colditz a lot (It was pretty big at the time in Spain). But I never owned it... Then I got into RPGs (D&D mostly at first) and some medieval wargames (Cry Havoc and Siege).

But I think the first boardgame I bought myself was Battle Hymn, which I used to also play coop with a friend.

-Jorge

More
11 Jan 2008 20:58 #399 by username
Anything from the TSR minigame line.

Specifically:

Revolt on Antares
Vampyre
Viking Gods

Primarily because they said TSR on the cover, they weren't half bad games, and you could sneak them out of K B toys in your shorts.

More
11 Jan 2008 21:55 #406 by Deleted User 1
Mine had a pack of guitar strings (Ernie Ball 9's) and a pinup image of Farrah Fawcett in the box...did I get yours by mistake?

I play Ernie Ball 10's!!!!!!!!!

That was a very subtle insult Barnes!!! You are good, with my help you could be the best!!!

More
11 Jan 2008 22:10 #407 by Last Alchemist
Risk 2210, my friends and I played the shit out of that game. Once a week, after we all got out of work at the bookstore (we used to play in the back in where we kept inventory). So many good times, so much backstabbing. After that I was lured away by the dark side, and was stuck in cube land for a couple of years. Last year I got fed up with the boring as fuck themes, and returned to games that allowed me to plant a knife deep into the back of one of my friend's backs, or laugh and point when the last of army is obliterated in a hail of gunfire.

LA

More
11 Jan 2008 22:25 #408 by cybrshaman
Started with Risk, moved on to Diplomacy, then Kingmaker, followed by a number of AH wargames... but the earliest flat-out AT titles I played (well, by MY definition, at the very least) were the old Metagaming microgames Chitin: I and Rivets... and then Gammarauders. DAMN, I wish I could find my old copy of that one!

More
12 Jan 2008 00:38 - 12 Jan 2008 00:43 #421 by BigLizard
What got me beyond Monopoly and Clue early on was Stratego then Risk. But one game I had early on and thought was the coolest was Jutland. It was given to me by a friend of the family because he never played it and thought I might get more use out of it. Although as a young kid I never found anyone to play against, I still loved playing solo battles.
Wish I still had that game.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2008 00:43 by BigLizard. Reason: crucial spelling mistake

More
12 Jan 2008 10:34 #442 by Kriz
Page 3 before anyone says Risk? Come on guys, don't tell me you're leaving that little piece of Ameritrash off your resumes because of some sort latent BGG embarrassment?

For me, I played a lot of Risk as a kid, and also a lot of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. My brother got into Axis and Allies with some friends and I played it a couple times but didn't like the complexity as a younger kid.

For many years of my life I would occasionally play the random board game title, but only got into them after college when a group of friends was playing a lot of Epic Duels and Twilight Imperium 2. Got hooked on boardgames from those.

I've always played D&D though.

More
12 Jan 2008 11:18 #445 by southernman
Well in the early years (pre-teen) there was 'Hit the Beach' and 'Dogfight' amongst many boardgames my parents bought us, plus an early computerised (well it used punch cards) Cluedo game called 'Manhunt' which was very cool to play as 10yr olds.

Then I started reading sci fi mags from the US (Analog I think) and saw ads for all these cool games (late 70s ... no taking the piss out of us oldies please) so persuaded my Mum to buy a box full - of which 'Dungeon' was played a lot with my brothers and sister but the others (Stellar Conquest, Magic Realm, Godsfire) just got looked at because I could find no one to play with (we were in a small rural community). So to solve that problem I then got into 'Tunnels & Trolls' solo dungeons and the best of all, PBM sci fi game called 'Starweb' run by Flying Buffalo Inc (who still run it today!).

The 80s and 90s (late teens to mid 30s)were spent with alcohol, sport, women, travel, alcohol & women & parties & ... but I did get to play 'Kingmaker' and the Gamesmaster 'Shogun' once.

And then reaching the shores of the UK in 2000 and staying wth a kiwi mate he bought out 'Risk' and 'Zombies' one night ... and before you could say rather dead than seen playing Caylus I had ordered 'Kingmaker', Risk, and 'Samurai Swords' from the US and haven't looked back.

You all can wake up now ..... but glad to be here with so many other assholes and gamers of good taste.

More
12 Jan 2008 13:10 #457 by Pat
D&D Basic set (red box) when I was 9. Bought Panzer Leader when I was 12 because it had lots of tanks in the box, even if they were cardboard. I was watching lots of war movies at the time and just put my army men to rest. Enjoyed Panzer Leader so much I bought Squad Leader within 6 months and played the hell out of it. The problem was trying to find someone who could follow along which was nigh impossible for most of my buddies. Axis and Allies came out and had instant appeal with most people I showed it to. Eventually A&A received alot of play along with Conquest of the Empire. Ever since those days I always knew that the marriage of toys and wargames was innevitable and easier to access than minnies (I like minnies too though).

More
12 Jan 2008 13:10 #458 by metalface13
Hmmm...my gaming pedigree runs thusly:

DnD (played at a very young age with my brothers)
Axis and Allies and Conquest of the Empire
Magic: The Gathering and other CCGs
Warhammer 40k and other GW mini games
then a long period of no games (the dark ages)
Carcassone (brought me back into modern gaming)
Descent (brought me fully into Ameritrash)

More
12 Jan 2008 13:48 #467 by randomsyllable
Candyland, clearly.

More
12 Jan 2008 14:03 #473 by Ken B.
Kriz wrote:

Page 3 before anyone says Risk? Come on guys, don't tell me you're leaving that little piece of Ameritrash off your resumes because of some sort latent BGG embarrassment?

Absolutely not! Believe it or not, it's just not the game that brought me to the dance.

I own the following Risks (and would play them anytime:) Vanilla, 2210, Godstorm, LOTR: Risk (well, I'd rather play WotR than that one), Clone Wars, and Original Trilogy Risk.

Believe me, I'm a card-carrying Risk player.

I can't believe Hasbro hasn't jumped on the Monopoly train with Risk and started putting out "Dog Risk" and "Simpsons Risk" and "Spongebob Risk" and "Gay Risk".

More
12 Jan 2008 14:19 #475 by Pat
"Gay Risk" could take place in a Prison...

More
12 Jan 2008 17:53 #492 by cobalt60
First real AT? Gotta be Fortress: America, baby :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds