October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What is the worst game in your collection?

More
07 Mar 2018 18:09 #264955 by Hex Sinister
It really pains me to say it but Magic Realm. I want to like it. The design is... interesting and weird. And man, I like weird. But maybe it's just too strange and unintuitive for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2018 18:32 #264959 by Gary Sax
^yeah, it belongs to an era when you could get your friends to play nothing else for 4 months. It doesn't make sense outside of that era. It shares like no rules in common with other games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon, Msample

More
08 Mar 2018 02:33 - 08 Mar 2018 08:25 #264997 by southernman
WORST GAME
BGG Thinks:
Dog Eat Dog, Time Pirates
I Think:
Time Pirates (German-type game I bought 15+ years ago that seemed OK at the time but I can't sell it for pennies now, I might have to sneakily drop it off at a thrift/charity shop)

BEST GAME
BGG Thinks:
Twilight Struggle
I Think:
Battlestar Galactica
Last edit: 08 Mar 2018 08:25 by southernman.

More
08 Mar 2018 09:02 #265003 by Legomancer
According to BGG the best games I own are
Pandemic Legacy S1
Twilight Struggle
Terraforming Mars

Worst I own are
Le Boomb! (hahahaha I will NEVER part with it)
UNO (fuck UNO hate. it's a perfectly fine game)
Pass the Pigs (bullshit. this is a top 10 pig-rolling game)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
08 Mar 2018 11:20 #265033 by Msample
I have a fair number of games w/no rating ( obscure wargames ) . The lowest rated one is PHASELINE SMASH, rated around 5.5. Its actually a pretty interesting game on the 1991 Gulf War.

I've owned and purged worse over the years. Someone mentioned DOG EAT DOG, I had that once. Berg's GERONIMO was probably rated pretty bad when owned it.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:23 #265035 by Gary Sax
I wonder if there are any designers with more bad games under their belt than Richard Berg. I recognize he has some classics, but his ratio is real bad.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:50 #265044 by Stonecutter
According to BGG, Supremacy, which, I guess is kinda bad, but I love it because I love the whole Wargames, 80s neon vibe of it.

I've gotten rid of so many games in the past year I've pretty much gotten rid of everything I dont like (even though I'm still trying to purge more titles.) Probably Coup? I don't really see a need for Coup in a world where there are so many better bluffing/bullshitting/hidden traitor type party games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Mar 2018 13:01 #265054 by NeonPeon
I have some crappy-looking invention game with missing rules that I received as a gift, never played, I have no interest so I don't know why I even have it still... boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19202/invention-game

More
08 Mar 2018 13:15 #265055 by wkover

Legomancer wrote: UNO (fuck UNO hate. it's a perfectly fine game)

My kids loved Uno Attack! , and I didn't mind it one bit. The game SHOT CARDS AT YOU. Amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
08 Mar 2018 13:24 #265056 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: I wonder if there are any designers with more bad games under their belt than Richard Berg. I recognize he has some classics, but his ratio is real bad.

There are a few mainly DTP designers ( Paul Rohrbaugh, Perry Moore ) who might give him a run for the money. In their cases as well as Berg, they tackle stuff so obscure people are often willing to put up with it.

SUCCESSORS is still one of the best multi player CDGs out there, albeit the third edition helmed mainly by Simonitch and other enthusiasts is the one to get - but give Berg credit for starting the whole thing.

More
08 Mar 2018 14:39 #265073 by JoelCFC25
Purposely leaving aside kids games and party games (WITS AND WAGERS, ughhh)...

I'll go with AGE OF NAPOLEON for the worst in my collection. Tried to play it once several years ago and the attempt was a complete shambles. Back onto the shelf, hasn't been cracked open since--though I've made no effort to move it on to a better home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
08 Mar 2018 16:14 #265091 by Michael Barnes
OMG Age of Napoleon! WOW. That takes me back. I wonder if anyone has every been able to actually play that game after reading the rulebook. I felt like I knew LESS about how to play after reading the rules than I did before.

I think I must have tried to play that 8-9 times. I had a buddy that REALLY wanted to make it happen, but man, every time it just fell apart. A few years on, we would dash ourselves repeatedly against the rock that was Napoleon's Triumph.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
08 Mar 2018 16:47 #265098 by Msample
AGE OF NAPOLEAN came out in an era when Phalanx made a splash making a lot of VERY nice component light wargames/Euros....but other than the new edition of HOUSE DIVIDED, they were all duds.

AoE was way too high level and abstract IMO; Nappy Wars is hard to beat for light and fast history.

Berg had a number of games published with them - NERO, BORGIA, WATERLOO and they all pretty much came and went with no lasting impression.

REVOLUTION: THE DUTCH revolt, heralded as Francis Tresham's return to game design was another PHALANX bust IMO. Our heads bounced against the impenetrable rulebook and the half game we stumbled thru left us numb. At the time it came out, it was like $80, which was a lot of coin back then. Thank god I didn't sink money into that turkey.

The Simmons Napoleonic stuff doesn't resonate with me - the one we tried, it struck me as way too deterministic. But hey it looks cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Erik Twice

More
08 Mar 2018 18:14 #265120 by Sevej
Ha! Checking, BGG says my 3 worst games are Band of Brothers, Talisman, and Okko. That's so much bovine manure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
08 Mar 2018 18:46 #265125 by Gary Sax
Band of Brothers? Really?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds