October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Just got Cthulhu Wars...who wants to sell me expansions

More
16 Feb 2018 15:52 #263779 by stormseeker75
And which should I get? I found the Barnes/Charlie thread and read through that. Sounds like you can't go too far wrong.

Any good way to make this game work for two? It's okay if it doesn't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2018 16:03 #263780 by hotseatgames
The only time I played it with 2, we each ran 2 factions. It's not great. You basically use 1 faction as cannon fodder to enable the other to win.
The only alternate map I have played is the Library. It's weird and I only played it once, but I can't say it was great.
Your choice of expansion factions will depend on your taste since they all lean towards a certain play style. The Sleeper (orange) tends to sit around and watch other people play, then make big plays at the end. Boring, in my opinion.

Of all of the extra factions, I enjoyed Ithaqua (ice blue) the most. You get to grief people and get in fights. Recommended.

I have to say that the core factions are so good that you could play this game for a long time and never need anything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
16 Feb 2018 16:11 #263781 by ChristopherMD
Just get High Priests. Anything else can wait until you've played enough to decide for yourself which expansions you want.

More
16 Feb 2018 16:23 - 16 Feb 2018 16:23 #263784 by charlest

Mad Dog wrote: Just get High Priests. Anything else can wait until you've played enough to decide for yourself which expansions you want.

This.

Eventually you'll want everything.

Two players is something I've never done. It looks awful in the old rules. That said, there's supposedly better rules now, not sure where to find them though (maybe Petersen games' site).

Even three players is something I wouldn't heavily recommend. It's top notch at 4 or 5 though.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2018 16:23 by charlest.

More
16 Feb 2018 16:56 #263787 by SebastianBludd
IMO, High Priests fall in the "should be considered part of the base game" category and as others have said, should be your first purchase. There are also some official PnP unique High Priests that can be used with the High Priest expansion, but that's a down-the-road consideration.

Second, I would get a faction or two, starting with Opener of the Way due to how differently it plays as compared to the other factions. Then I'd get whatever else strikes your fancy, leaving Tcho Tcho for last (Tcho Tcho was overpowered and ill-balanced when it came out with Onslaught 2 and they're releasing errated spellbooks with Onslaught 3).

New maps and neutral old gods and monsters can wait since there is plenty of game there with just the base game, the High Priests and a faction or two. If you feel like you want to get just a few neutrals to spice things up the Azathoth expansion is a good choice. Where most of the neutral expansions give either old gods or monsters but not both, the Azathoth expansion has a new old god plus four new monsters, which should be plenty for you to determine whether or not you want/need neutrals but without breaking the bank. Plus, Azathoth and the four monsters (Dimensional Shamblers, Elder Things, Servitors of the Outer Gods and Star Vampires) are classic Mythos entities that are more recognizable than some of the others.

More
16 Feb 2018 19:33 #263795 by Da Bid Dabid
If you are interested in any of the stuff from the onslaught 3 Yothan pledge, I'm happy to sell it to you at cost when it ships later this year. I jumped on the kickstarter to get the high priests and plastic gates and was planning on likely piecing out and selling the rest of the stuff.

More
16 Feb 2018 19:54 #263797 by stormseeker75
You have a deal, my friend! Let me know when you get it. I want Windwalker and the other faction expansions, please.

More
16 Feb 2018 20:45 #263800 by Scott_F
I've played with Tcho-Tchos about a dozen times. Honestly everyone has hated using them as a faction. They really do nothing all game and and just sit in a couple areas hoping to be ignored. Maybe that changes in the newest iteration of the rules, dunno. The other factions are completely worth it, and I agree the high priests should be automatically included. I'd go for the maps before any neutral stuff, the maps really shake things up. I so rarely use any of the neutral great old ones or monsters even 40 games into it. Yuggoth, Dreamlands, and Primevil are all great maps. Library is kinda a mess. Opener is my favorite faction to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
16 Feb 2018 23:24 #263810 by Gary Sax
Charles won't say it but you should listen to his podcast episodes (ding and dent) on the expansions and read his review corner reviews. He talks a lot about which ones are most crucial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
17 Feb 2018 10:18 #263820 by stormseeker75
Thanks, I don't do gaming podcasts. I think I got enough in this thread plus the Barnes/Charlie article I found.

More
17 Feb 2018 14:44 #263824 by Secret Satan

stormseeker75 wrote: And which should I get? I found the Barnes/Charlie thread and read through that. Sounds like you can't go too far wrong.

Any good way to make this game work for two? It's okay if it doesn't.

I suggest you buy every single expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
23 Feb 2018 10:12 #263888 by Stonecutter
The game is really great with just what's in the base box, but like everyone else high priests should have been there to start with.

After that, an expansion faction or two. Opener and Sleeper are the two most interesting, then I'd say great old one pack 1, which is just outstanding, then maps. The Library map is just absurd in the best possible way.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds