October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

SEAL Team Flix has been officially announced

More
04 Jan 2018 21:24 #260242 by SuperflyPete
I still have the original opfor rules. Maybe I’ll release them eventually.

Basically the SEALs have all the gadgets and whatnot but Gaia’s Hope has unlimited numbers. The main rule change revolves around how sound works, basically. SEALs who are in rooms that have sound tokens give the enemy players extra attacks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2018 21:50 #260244 by Gary Sax
Seriously congrats, guys. Awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, hotseatgames

More
04 Jan 2018 22:19 #260246 by Sagrilarus

SuperflyTNT wrote: It was originally another kind of terrorist but I had to change it to something less potentially offensive. Had to write a big backstory and make up a org name, logo...all kinds of things. Fun time.

So eco-terrorists is a sufficiently small group that no one will mind killing them? Who was on the docket originally?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
04 Jan 2018 22:37 #260248 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: It was originally another kind of terrorist but I had to change it to something less potentially offensive. Had to write a big backstory and make up a org name, logo...all kinds of things. Fun time.

So eco-terrorists is a sufficiently small group that no one will mind killing them? Who was on the docket originally?

Hence the popularity of zombies, and Nazi zombies. All the violence, and none of the backlash.

Congratulations on the game, btw. I still need to playtest your roll and write game.

More
05 Jan 2018 07:42 #260254 by SuperflyPete
It was going to be a doomsday cult of Islamic terrorists.

The original design criteria was to make a game like Call of Duty, but analog. Most of those kinds of games revolve around Nazis and Arabs, so i went with them.

More
05 Jan 2018 08:15 - 05 Jan 2018 09:13 #260257 by stoic
I received an anonymous email asking me to post this question on F:AT for the designers.

I have an important question for the designers of SEAL Team Flix. I'm truly looking forward to this release. This game will allow me to relive some of my glory days while in the service of my Country and the Corps where I served in Force Recon, Semper Fi!. Thanks for That. Here's my question: Can I still play this dexterity flicking game if I'm missing my index finger? I'm a war veteran from a still classified mission in Latin America. During the mission, I sustained debilitating injuries to my index ("trigger") finger, and, in fact, it's missing. Fortunately, I've adapted and now use my "social finger" or what is known to civilians as my middle finger to pull the trigger. Thanks for any information. Best of luck with the launch of the game! I'm already a huge fan.

//s Master Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Beckett (Ret.): Semper Fi!

Last edit: 05 Jan 2018 09:13 by stoic.

More
05 Jan 2018 08:53 #260259 by SuperflyPete
Dear sir,
First, I'd like to thank you for your service to our country. Second, being a Marine, you should know that you can improvise. One option would be to use your opposite hand. Another would be to use your thumb. But, in a barracks, with all the pranking going on, I would suggest using your "gun" (as opposed to your rifle, which would violate UCMJ) to swing against the disc and propel it forward. As a Marine, you know that you'll be able to do that standing up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Pod

More
05 Jan 2018 09:38 #260261 by hotseatgames
I'm sure someone could get good at flicking with any available finger. I hope you like the game!

More
05 Jan 2018 11:00 #260269 by SuperflyPete
Everyone but you, Mark.

More
05 Jan 2018 12:34 #260272 by fastbilly1
As a life long carrom player, you can easily adapt to using your middle finger and gain the same amount of control as one may have with their pointer. I use middle or pointer depending on the shot needed, but I know others who only use middle.

This will be a much more difficult challenge to make custom boards for than Catacombs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax

More
05 Jan 2018 14:44 #260278 by SuperflyPete
Actually, not as bad as you'd think. I made 9 maps originally, and this is how I did it.
- Created map art.
- Printed on adhesive gloss, adhered to foamcore I cut to size
- Used 1/4" wood square dowels (as well as slit pieces of Foamcore when I ran out) for walls.
- Used drops of Titebond III and staples (regular stapler) to affix the walls.

It wasn't bad at all. I have made maybe 70 of these as we went through a ton of revisions. I kept almost everything until recenty - I photographed them for posterity and I still have all my original files going back to when this was called something else and was completely different (dot based movement vs. grid, much less cool, shitty AI, etc).

If you ever want to make custom maps, I'll be first in line to help.

More
05 Jan 2018 15:07 #260286 by SuperflyPete
The white one is one of the first Gen4 maps I made. Mark and I sat in his awesome game room and we adjusted a lot of the original design. I did all of the original map design and assembly (second photo) and when it was all done we sent the files up the food chain.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
05 Jan 2018 15:17 #260289 by hotseatgames
This is me gently reminding Pete that this was a team project and almost every time he says "I" he really means "we." He did do the construction, that is correct. And did a damn fine job. But I also recall him bitching a lot about it so I don't think I'd call making one of these maps "easy" :))

More
05 Jan 2018 15:34 #260300 by SuperflyPete
No, I didn’t stutter. I designed the maps, icon placement, etc. Mark was the one who came up with a lot of brilliant insights about why things wouldn’t work, how to make them better, and a lot of other stuff. Mark was an integral part of the overall package. I just did the writing, graphic art, story, map design, and he did the cards wholesale, the timer, and had everything to do with balancing and making the game way better than I could’ve done alone.

Totally a team effort. We were on a Skype call all the time, texting, talking, meeting up at his house, a couple times here at mine. Couldn’t have asked for a better partner if I had to at gunpoint.

If this was Yelp he’d get 5 stars and a BJ

More
05 Jan 2018 15:37 - 05 Jan 2018 15:37 #260301 by SuperflyPete
Also, yes, the maps were tedious AF. This is after making maybe 60 of them. Probably more. I spent maybe 800$ on materials and printing alone. So, the first ten were fun and exciting because we were getting closer to the goals, but after making a million maps it was tedious and I wished death upon myself.

If I recall, Mark came up with the concept of the train yard/subway. I made the first build. It was originally pretty shit. He told me what needed to change and it came out to be my second favorite. Guys ON FLEEK. Seriously, his critical eye is no joke.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2018 15:37 by SuperflyPete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds