October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

NEW Judge Dredd Block War game?!?

More
09 Nov 2017 15:32 - 09 Nov 2017 15:32 #257356 by Josh Look
The Putting on the radars of the fellow Dredd fans on here.

Never heard of Game and Curry, but my interest is piqued.

Judge Dredd Block War
Last edit: 09 Nov 2017 15:32 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2017 15:46 - 09 Nov 2017 15:46 #257357 by Jackwraith
Oh, man. I thought you meant "block wargame", as in Hammer of the Scots. I was sitting there thinking: "Wait. How is that going to work? Is each Judge just one block vs. like hordes of criminals or...?"
Last edit: 09 Nov 2017 15:46 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Almalik, Cranberries, jpat, Da Bid Dabid, Gregarius

More
09 Nov 2017 15:47 #257358 by Da Bid Dabid
I thought the same thing... we are board game nerds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
09 Nov 2017 15:54 #257359 by hotseatgames
Sounds like a quick, fun game. And that might be the funniest "player count" icon I've ever seen.

More
09 Nov 2017 16:42 #257361 by Msample
Shit, this was just on my mind the other day after rewatching both DREDD and THE RAID and thinking they'd be good themes to plug into a sort of dudes in the hall type game.

You could either have a sort of skirmish type game a la IMPERIAL ASSAULT with an overlord type throwing various bad guys and traps at players, or maybe a co-op for THE RAID where there is a hidden traitor . DREDD would be more of a strict shoot up , whereas THE RAID got me thinking about SPACE HULK where you have some Space Marines with ranged weapons, some with close quarters weapons.

Looking through BGG, there are remarkably few DREDD themed games.

More
09 Nov 2017 16:49 #257362 by Michael Barnes
Well, Banana Chan is on the credits for whatever that is worth?

It sounds...probably not great. $15, 15 minute play time....definitely not a reimagining of the GW classic. I'll have to get a hold of it, of course, and I hope it has some classic Dredd artwork. Who knows, maybe it'll be a fun one.

More
09 Nov 2017 17:02 #257364 by charlest
Has anyone played the old block war game Mega-Mania/Block-mania? I've had a copy for over a year and haven't played it yet.

More
09 Nov 2017 17:17 #257366 by jeb
Which DREDD anthology should I get? I haven't read a thing, but I heard the start was rocky.

More
09 Nov 2017 17:25 #257368 by Michael Barnes
Start with 3 or 4...that's when you get into the really great stories, the best characters, best art. You don't really need any background from the first couple of years. Apocalypse War, Judge Child saga, Angel Gang, Judge Death, etc. are all from this period. I think Blockmania is too.

There's a part where Dredd bags on this other judge for having a moustache, that cracks me up every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ufe20

More
10 Nov 2017 03:37 #257380 by Jazzbeaux

charlest wrote: Has anyone played the old block war game Mega-Mania/Block-mania? I've had a copy for over a year and haven't played it yet.

Yes, I've played it quite a lot as I bought it when it originally came out...
Even tried it a couple of years back and everyone had fun. Do you have Block Mania (2 players) and Mega Mania (3-4 players)?
If you have both play both as more players means more destruction!
I used Matt Greens modifications to the rules, which balances some of the randomness - fixing what can be found in each location, and starting forces and more. It helps.
Block Mania Streamlined

Sam
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
10 Nov 2017 08:43 #257384 by mezike
I don't have a great deal of optimism on this; I think it will be tilted more to the mainstream so gameplay will be a real lottery, could be good or could be terrible. As a massive 2000AD fan I will likely get this anyway because we all have weaknesses. Somebody tried to get a reprint of the original game off the ground earlier this year but hit a wall with all the legal tangles.

Regarding the anthologies, definitely leave the first two or three aside as 'further reading material', there are some good stories in there but the writing is nowhere near being in full stride. Some people highly rate the "Cursed Earth Saga" in book 2 which is dedicated to both that story and another mega-epic "The Day the Law Died" but I find the writing and plotting to still be a little corny in comparison to later stories. Book 5 is often cited as a good place to start as it has the "Block Mania" and "Apocalypse War" stories which are very highly rated; I personally recommend book 9 because it has a bit of everything from Dredd's world in it so acts as a good showcase, and also opens with "Midnight Surfer" which is a real heart-pounder. Really though, you can't go wrong with anything from the black and white era (up to book 11)

I would also recommend avoiding everything after book 14 for the time being; the quality noticeably dropped off in the 90's and the material in the anthologies is sketchy at best, most notably the stories from the Megazine. Books 24 and 25 feature "The Pit" which is a great read but are otherwise unremarkable so you could just pick that up separately. The series is currently on book 30 and the Nero Narcos storyline which is a bit of a divisive one, so the quality is picking up but not quite out of the low point yet. Definitely recommend also picking up "America" which is a pivotal story that does not feature in these collections as it was not printed directly as a Dredd story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
10 Nov 2017 09:05 #257386 by Shellhead

Jazzbeaux wrote:

charlest wrote: Has anyone played the old block war game Mega-Mania/Block-mania? I've had a copy for over a year and haven't played it yet.

Even tried it a couple of years back and everyone had fun. Do you have Block Mania (2 players) and Mega Mania (3-4 players)?
I used Matt Greens modifications to the rules, which balances some of the randomness - fixing what can be found in each location, and starting forces and more. It helps.
Block Mania Streamlined

Sam

Years ago, somebody here at F:AT was going to do a special event at a game convention that involved Block/Mega Mania for a lot more than 4 players. Was that you? It sounded fun.

More
12 Nov 2017 08:31 #257499 by wadenels
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jazzbeaux, bryce0lynch

More
13 Nov 2017 09:15 #257529 by charlest

Jazzbeaux wrote:

Block Mania Streamlined

Sam

I do have both, thanks for the tips!

More
30 Nov 2017 06:02 #258380 by mezike
On a similar note, Osprey games have just announced a new Dredd game: ospreypublishing.com/blog/judgedredd-announcement/

This is based on The Lost Expedition which is an OK Co-Op with a much better team/Vs mode, and notable for really nice artwork that gives it the feel of a 60's jungle adventure comic as you play down the cards. I keep expecting TinTin to show up on one of the cards. I like the idea of building up a Dredd adventure in the same way although who they get to do the art will make a big difference. Osprey are well established and tend to produce to a high standard so I am much more excited by this than the Block War game!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds