October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What is your favourite Cosmic Encounter alien? And why?

More
20 Oct 2017 09:24 #256049 by Erik Twice
So, which one is it and why? :)

Fun topic, I would really love to hear what your favourites are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:09 - 20 Oct 2017 10:17 #256060 by dontbecruel
I love the powers that fiddle with attack numbers in abstract ways: Mirror, Calculator, Graviton. Not sure exactly why these tickle my fancy so much but they always seem to create the most tension and giggles when deciding what card to play. Of those, Graviton is probably the one I have had the most fun with, although it's not the best power in any sense.

"You have the power of Gravity. As a main player, after encounter cards are selected but before they're revealed, you may use this power and say either "tens" or "ones". If you do so, any attack cards revealed in the encounter only use that digit as their value. For instance, if you said :tens", an attack 40 would become an attack 4 and an attack 09 would become an attack 0, but if you said "ones", those same cards would become an attack 0 and an attack 9."
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 10:17 by dontbecruel.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:18 #256062 by san il defanso
I like powers that look like they are helping the other players, like Healer or Philanthropist. They are so insidious, that you almost can't help but go along with it and help that person get exactly what they want. I especially love dishing out garbage cards to other players as the Philanthropist.

I am also fond of powers that emphasize non-combat encounters. Empath is a big one, but my favorite has to be Pacifist. That's an extremely strong power, and I love how it turns negotiates into weapons.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:51 #256070 by DukeofChutney
I haven't played in nearly two years so my memory is fagging but i think the most fun i have had was with the parasite and the masochist. Didn't win either game as I was too in love with my power.

I've always wanted to play the claw but never had the chance.

More
20 Oct 2017 11:45 #256077 by Michael Barnes
I can't not say Filch, since I am permabanned from playing it in our group. There was an...incident. I think I mentioned on these boards before. I had the Filch Classic Edition (and only, as far as I'm concerned" Flare in hand. I I f you have it, you can take ships from the warp and cards from either the deck or discard pile at any time, with the only restriction being that "if you are caught in the act" you return what you were stealing and then you have to reveal the Flare in hand. So Iwound up managing to steal almost the entire deck, I had it in my lap just picking whatever card I wanted. At one point, someone said "wait a minute...where are all the cards?" Which lead to this heated debate over what "being "caught" means. My argument was that it says "caught in the act", not "caught when someone realized they were being rolled". Anyway, I like that power because it is total bullshit and cheating. The card literally says "YOU MAY CHEAT..."

Anti-Matter is a classic- low total wins, you subtract the ship totals. This is a bastard of a power IF you have a crappy (but suddenly not crappy) hand and IF you don't get zapped. But those zap moments are DELIGHTFUL.

I love Prophet. You predict who is going to win a battle you are not involved in. A deal is a win. If you guess correctly, you get to place a colony on ANY planet. If you flop, you lose two ships. The thing about this power that is somewhat OP (like there aren't 100 that are) is that a) you are functionally involved in EVERY battle and can therefore get a colony in any fight and b) two out of three outcomes are positive. It also opens up some great opportunities to try to sway battles with talk...or you might be tricked into picking a side that knows they are losing because they say "We've got this". Really fun power.

Chronos rules. You rewind an encounter, BUT the other player has to ditch their card. So if they blow their 40 or they tried to trick you with a sneak attack when they agreed on a negotiation..."I'll give you another chance to do the right thing".

Another time one- Tick Tock is neat. It puts a hard timer on the game, you win after ten battles where the defender won or after 10 deals.

Sniveler is fun with the right player...it requires a little role-playing. I've played with some MASTER snivelers.

Void is NASTY. Removes ships from the game. They don't go to the Warp. I like the threat that presents to players, it's a huge incentive to NOT lose.

Virus is probably the strongest, but it's really not as much fun as the crazier stuff

More
20 Oct 2017 15:18 #256089 by dontbecruel
Ah yes, The Prophet. Another favourite. The kids hate me when I play that one.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds