October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

D&D: AS board games - maximizing experience

More
20 Oct 2017 02:54 #256035 by __
Have quite enjoyed Ashardalon, mainly because I've had my 7 year old involved and he really likes it (one of the reasons I now want to paint the minis), but it feels like as a system you could pretty easily get more out of it, I ordered Drizzt and Ravenloft for other twists on the stories, and I guess at some point I will mash some of it together just to have lots more variety in any random scenario with the monsters and stuff (even though it seems a lot of the story based stuff like encounters will be very specific to the individual game).

Obviously adding more monsters, custom cards, heroes and stuff is an option, but I'm thinking more about tweaking of the rules and systems to get a bit more out of it than just "encounter card: attack roll for damage" or explore: new tile, a monster, it runs towards you and attacks.

Just curious if anyone has really dug into the system and come up with ideas or seen other ways to make use of the system in interesting ways

and what kinds of house rules or tweaks people tend to use in order to vary things a bit, or perhaps change certain game ideas which dont work as well as perhaps they should over the long term.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2017 04:49 #256040 by Matt Thrower

Tron wrote: Just curious if anyone has really dug into the system and come up with ideas or seen other ways to make use of the system in interesting ways.

WotC did release an adventure that used pieces from both WoA and Castle Ravenloft but I can't now find it.

A guy who goes by the BGG username of NinjaDorg did do a whole bunch of custom stuff for the game. There were new scenarios, a campaign system, new card decks that you could use to expand the narrative between adventures. I printed some of it up on ArtsCow and ... they've languished in the game box ever since. I like the games but just not enough to consistently use extended campaign rules to link sessions together.

Anyway, all his stuff is still on his blog or in files section of BGG under Castle Ravenloft if you want to check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
20 Oct 2017 13:00 - 20 Oct 2017 13:00 #256080 by Joebot
I've got Ashardalon, Ravenloft, and Drizzt, and I find that simply mashing the cards all together works pretty well. I've got one giant pile of monsters cards (including some of the ones from the Dungeon Command series as well), so I almost never see the same monster twice in a game. I find that the variety helps keep the game pretty fresh. I've also combined the treasure and encounter cards, and pruned out a couple of the more annoyingly complex encounter cards.

So, between 15 heroes to pick from, and gobs of monsters, treasure, and encounters, I haven't felt a need to tweak the rules or the game play.

At one point, I tried messing around with adding the big maps from Dungeon Command into a homebrew scenario, but that didn't work all that well, because so much of the DDAS games are based on tiles. I just liked that the Dungeon Command maps added some nice visual variety. As much as I like the DDAS games, the graphic design is unfortunately a bit sterile.

After not playing the games in a while, I recently introduced them to my 8- and 17-year-old sons, and the three of us had a blast.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 13:00 by Joebot. Reason: stupid typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds