October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

In Defense of Kickstarter

More
11 Oct 2017 21:12 #255533 by ChristopherMD

engineer Al wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: Space Cadets: AM - I think I got it at the same time as some other game that was a bigger hit so we never went past the first 2 scenarios. Everyone liked it though.

Its time will come.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2017 00:22 #255636 by xthexlo
Replied by xthexlo on topic In Defense of Kickstarter

san il defanso wrote: Felli, Murrell, and Hayden all produced some really strange games with selective appeal that actually SHOULD be better suited to Kickstarter. Jim can probably confirm this, if he shows up here, but I think one of his reasons for self-funding was that he wanted the ability to design the game on his own terms, rather than being beholden to market forces.

You are correct, Nate. There are other reasons I avoid KickStarter... a few include: I feel like I produce a better product when I'm putting my own money on the line, I feel like I have a more intimate relationship with my buyers when I have skin in the game, I'm too lazy to make snazzy videos, I hate whiny backers, I can't stand the idea of award levels, and I really don't want my brand associated with a lot the crap that KickStarter spits out or the Cult of the New that it helps drive. I'm creating games as a hobby and a creative outlet, and I want my Devious Weasel brand to be known for "quirky, odd, and unique" games -- games that require an intellectual investment from the players. KickStarter is too formulaic for me... plus, let's be honest: why should a guy like me, who is able to fund his projects, take share of voice away from other folks who cannot do so and legitimately need a crowdsourcing platform to produce their product?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries, Not Sure, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Gregarius, JEM

More
13 Oct 2017 01:22 - 13 Oct 2017 01:24 #255638 by Cranberries

xthexlo wrote: I want my Devious Weasel brand to be known for "quirky, odd, and unique" games -- games that require an intellectual investment from the players.

Three cheers for original games. Felli games are like the anti-FFG games.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2017 01:24 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons, xthexlo

More
13 Oct 2017 03:03 #255641 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic In Defense of Kickstarter
Interesting thread to read from this group. At 213 backed and funded projects (with 4 active at the moment), I doubt anyone here approaches my sheer level of excess in this area. Though of those, just over half are board game related (about 125), with the rest being mostly computer games and a few other random books or other items. Of those games, I probably still own over half of them, and many are quite good. But certainly there were many I should have passed by. But same goes for games I've bought at retail. to be fair. Kickstarter doesn't have a monopoly on half-baked games.

How you feel about Kickstarter is probably going to depend on how you view it's role. I look at each project and judge them differently based on who is running them. I'd get pissed if Stonemaier or Stronghold failed to deliver a quality product if I backed it. But if I back some nobody with a cool idea and it never materializes, I'm not mad so long as I feel like the creator tried and was honest.

I've actually done alright with Kickstarter in general with most projects getting fulfilled. The ones that are still floundering years later or that I've given up on, all but one of them were people with good intentions that made mistakes or life got in the way. And in those cases, I've often gotten some amount of fulfillment by simply watching the process. Heck one video game creator whose Kickstarter I backed and is still floundering I now support on Pateron because I like what he's trying to do. I've only once felt like I was scammed, and that was a silly portable butane generator power pack from Germany that continues to make stupid excuses. But the vast majority of board game Kickstarters I supported have all shown up and with reasonable production quality. The only board game that I feel is a risk for ever fulfilling is the one listed often in this thread (Matt Loter's Chainmail Bikini), but whatever.

I keep telling myself to stop backing so many games, and to some extent I have backed off. But FOMO is a powerful force, and there have been many I've talked myself out of (Gloomhaven and 7th Continent come to mind) that I later regret and then have to wait 9 months for the reprint Kickstarter. I think Charlie is playing the smart game here. It is often better to back and sell then not back at all. To be honest, not sure I really would like 7th Continent, but I'll likely back it secure in the knowledge that if I change my mind I can surely flip it and make my money back and then some.

Kickstarter is just another aspect of my hobby, and I'm fortunate enough to have the means to indulge myself in it. I neither encourage nor disparage those that choose to use it, just be realistic about why you're using it.

Speaking of which, BGG.Con is coming up so it's time to get ready for my annual game dumping auction...maybe I should calculate how many of them are Kickstarters...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Oct 2017 13:32 #256007 by Legomancer

More
19 Oct 2017 13:48 - 19 Oct 2017 13:49 #256009 by Michael Barnes
But Dave, that is someone's dream project and you can be a part of bringing to life! They've likely struggled against those mean old publishers who only care about money for years that just didn't understand their vision...and now, through the miracle crowdfunding, that game that we would otherwise never know about can be borne into this world!
Last edit: 19 Oct 2017 13:49 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, xthexlo

More
19 Oct 2017 13:56 #256010 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic In Defense of Kickstarter

Michael Barnes wrote: Butt Dave...

It was too easy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds