October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Games/Game Styles you can't get to the table

More
21 Sep 2017 21:10 - 21 Sep 2017 21:49 #254578 by Gary Sax
So my gaming day to day is pretty limited in terms of the styles of games that get played. Which brings me to the thread prompt: what games OR styles of games do you personally love but you simply do not get to play often for whatever reason? What do you do about that?

For me, here are three types that come to mind:

1) Bargaining, negotiation or trading games. While I can get 4 players together on occasion, it's simply not a group that does well with most above the board aspects of the genre. This entire thread was brought to you by the game Sidereal Confluence, a game Charlie has complimented a great deal and I've seen a lot of praise for otherwise. It's the type of game I really, really love to play but do not get to play often. Sometimes I can't resist owning them (I'm the Boss, Cosmic Encounter, Archipelago, Pax series) but I know until I find a group of likeminded folks I can stand, playing them is not going to happen.

2) Two player wargames---I have a wargame partner but we tend to stick to relatively straightforward games with thinner rulebooks (Twilight Struggle). I respect this but it'd be nice to get the type of game where both players need to do a little rules read beforehand on the table. This goes for something like full Armada games as well for the same reason (tons of cards, ideally with fleet building or prep time).

3) And of course, really long complex games in general that take more than a long evening no matter the genre. This is pretty normal; unless you have a crazy gaming buddy if you are all adults these are tough to pull off.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2017 21:49 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Cranberries, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2017 21:48 #254579 by hotseatgames
My group has very shitty attendance, and the most reliable two members BOTH hate Cosmic Encounter. And yes, I know I need a new group. But my city is small and quality people are simply not around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Sep 2017 22:10 #254580 by Michael Barnes
Non-GW miniatures games. Which...isn't really a problem per se...

Nobody ever wants to play:

Heroes of Normandie
Shadows over Normandie
Mage Wars
Revolution: The Dutch Revolt
Die Macher
Chaostle
Undercity
Earth Reborn
Magic Realm
Here I Stand
War of the Roses: Lancaster vs York
Risk: Europe
Nin-Gonost
Android

More
21 Sep 2017 22:14 - 21 Sep 2017 22:16 #254581 by Gary Sax
^What do you think it is that brings those together? Do your groups just not like the length of those games...? Most of them look pretty long but based on how many game reviews you do and how much you play it seems like that isn't always a problem.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2017 22:16 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Sep 2017 22:59 #254582 by Ancient_of_MuMu
My main group has a policy of rotating through who picks the games so that everyone gets to play their favourite games every now and then, even if no-one else likes it. Thus it is only games that require a specific number of players (2 or 6) that don't get played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
22 Sep 2017 00:05 #254584 by Not Sure
Anything that takes more than fifteen minutes to explain.

Not that I get much playtime at all anymore since the job switch, but my semi-regular group of work buddies tended towards the "point salad" euros. Those don't really need much in the way of rules comprehension . "here's your scoring table, these are the legal moves, let's all score 55-58 points!". Anything much heavier, or anything that might conceivably require rules homework, was right out.

My antidote to that was Magical Athlete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
22 Sep 2017 01:04 #254585 by ThirstyMan
The only games I can't get to the table, since I've moved to free accommodation provided by my employer, is anything bigger than my table which dominates the entry room. My PC has to sit on it as well. War of the Ring CE has no chance and dinner is always on my lap.

I often play multiplayer games, like Here I Stand, solo and behave schizophrenically in order to play. I love that guys idea, from BGG, of having loads of photos of real people and giving everyone a personality and then playing in role for each of them in a multiplayer game played solo.

Unfortunately, I was the MTG table flipper and that ended that experiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Sep 2017 03:06 #254587 by Dr. Mabuse
Non-Arkham/Eldritch Horror co-op games like:.
Gears of War
Space Cadets: Away Missions
Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game

More
22 Sep 2017 09:20 #254594 by the_jake_1973
I can't get wargames to the table in my primary group. I am starting a games night at work that may help see some more wargame rotation.

More
22 Sep 2017 09:25 #254596 by Shellhead
Hard to get on the table:
War games
Prototypes
CCGs
long games
complex games
Zombies!!!
games based on relatively obscure licenses (like based on books that didn't get turned into tv/movies)

Easy to get on the table:
Co-op games
filler games
games based on popular tv shows/movies
games that are easy to teach
games that can be played in an hour

More
22 Sep 2017 09:47 #254598 by san il defanso
I'm not sure there are any genres that my gaming friends have intentionally eschewed. I do have a hard time playing more epic games, like everyone else. This is more a function of time than it is willing players. I also tend to struggle to get shorter Euros and German games played. I think they tend to look too dry to the more AT-oriented friends, and too simple to my Euro friends. I struggle to play two-player games as well, though that's because I'm more inclined to spend my gaming time with multiple people at once.

My main game group these days averages quite young, since many of them are in college. They are generally open to new and weird experiences, and they don't mind when a game is really random. They've taken really well to both Wiz-War and Betrayal at House on the Hill, which is just fine with me. They also are willing to try weirder games like Zimby Mojo, and they tend to handle the complexity really well too. I keep meaning to try Duel of Ages II with them, but we're neck-deep in D&D these days so the opportunity hasn't come up yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
22 Sep 2017 10:05 #254600 by Shellhead
San, you have reminded me that I need to recruit some fresh gamers. I like my existing players, but 2/3 of the time the turnout is terrible now, because everybody has other responsibilities. And yet I live within five miles of two different college campuses, so I should be able to recruit younger gamers.

More
22 Sep 2017 10:39 #254604 by san il defanso
The only game I've not really been able to make work out well is Cosmic Encounter. A couple of them really like it, but a couple of them aren't into it. The negotiation aspect doesn't really flow for them I think.

I generally think that younger gamers are more open to new experiences than seasoned veterans. There's not a lot of drive within the hobby to stay curious and to seek out games that don't fit your tastes 100%. I understand why that is, we all are limited in the time we can commit. But that curiosity has kept me excited about this hobby and has staved off burn-out more than a couple times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Frohike, Gregarius

More
22 Sep 2017 10:51 #254605 by charlest
My group really enjoys Sidereal Confluence, New Angeles, and Tiefe Taschen, but I can't get them to play Cosmic Encounter. They think it's too long and random. Blah.

More
22 Sep 2017 16:13 #254626 by SuperflyPete
I have a group that refuses to play anything longer than an hour, with 4/5 players. It was never like that before but during the Circus days I foisted so many BAD, OVERLONG games on them that it jaded them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds