October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Game That You Have Played to Death

More
12 Sep 2017 16:25 - 12 Sep 2017 16:25 #254138 by Shellhead
I already did a thread recently about That Game That You Don't Play Anymore. But do you have any games that you played so much that the components have worn down significantly. I don't mean a game that got damaged by a single incident like a spilled beverage.More like a game that has visibly and physically worn down to the point that it affected playability, especially if you had to replace pieces.

A couple of my older games come to mind: Kung Fu 2100 and Intruder.

Kung Fu 2100 (Steve Jackson Games, 1980) uses cardboard chits to simulate fighting moves that players string together before each round of combat as a preset series of attacks and blocks. After many, many plays, some of the tokens were visibly more worn than others and became easier to anticipate. So I eventually made full-sized cards to represent the maneuvers and sleeved them for longevity. The map is also showing some wear on the fold lines, but holding up for now.

Intruder (Task Force Games, 1980) is still one of the best simulations in gaming for the first Alien movie. But it relies heavily on some cardboard chits that are kept facedown until encountered by crew members. And until encountered, these tokens move randomly about the map. The alien tokens originally were a problem because they were so bright red that their facedown borders actually somehow reflected slightly on the heavy paper maps. I initially fixed the alien tokens by using a black marker to cover the red borders of the face side of the tokens, but heavy play over the years has worn down both the black marker borders and the underlying red, so that is no longer a problem. However, repeated sliding of the facedown tokens has also worn the map itself down in places. Somebody did a fancy full-color replacement map on BGG many years ago, and I downloaded that in case I ever have some excess time and money to get it printed nicely at Kinko's.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2017 16:25 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ufe20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2017 16:51 #254139 by ChristopherMD
I wore out my first copy of Catan. Well a combination of wearing it out and it getting filthy from lunchtime handling. Replaced it and of course the game never got played anymore after that. So I have a Like New copy of Catan sitting on my shelf for years now.

My original RoboRally deck is falling apart. I have decks from other versions of the game fortunately.

More
12 Sep 2017 17:10 #254142 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, if you replace a game, that is pretty much the end of the line.

My main played to death is Catan. If it gives me any kind of geek cred, I wore out a GERMAN LANGUAGE copy of the full game with all expansions up through Stadt und Ritter funf und sechs spieler weiterung or whatever it is. So then I upgraded everything to then-recent Mayfair edition around 2004.

Cosmic is up there too. The box art is almost completely won off on the sides. I think I still have the notebook paper in there from when we played a game about five years ago where we needed an extra player but didn't have the pieces, so we drew planets and named them after Chinese restaraunts.

Railways of the World we got A LOT of play out of, and before that Railroad Tycoon.

Arkham Horror was totally played to death. So was Battlestar Galactica.

And Magic, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Sep 2017 17:30 #254144 by Erik Twice
Thanks to FFG sleeves, none of my Netrunner cards show any wear but I have had to dump the original boxes after they wore down from getting them in and out of the shelf so much. I can also tell my Steam and Terraforming Mars tiles are used (edges are no longer sharp).

Other than that, I try to sleeve everything and play in such a manner that the components don't get damaged.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
12 Sep 2017 17:41 #254148 by Black Barney
That Parker Bros or Milton Bradley version of Dune was played until the board was falling apart

More
12 Sep 2017 18:20 - 12 Sep 2017 18:39 #254151 by Gary Sax
Arkham Horror is my closest. Dunwich and base game are a bit beat up. BGG tells me I've played it 52 times. Man, we used to play that thing constantly...
Last edit: 12 Sep 2017 18:39 by Gary Sax.

More
12 Sep 2017 18:27 #254152 by bfkiller
I've got about 65 plays in of Mage Knight. The cards are definitely showing the wear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
12 Sep 2017 18:40 #254153 by hotseatgames
Probably the closest I can get to actually destroying a game is that my Neuroshima Hex! box is now more duct tape than box.

More
12 Sep 2017 19:10 #254154 by Sevej
My only busted box is Agricola, but that's only because the sheer weight of the compnents. Only reached 30+ plays with that one.

Carcassonnr I think is my most played game, 100+ times, which had its tiles worn.

Following close is Pandemic with 90+. I had the first printing, so the doff board surface is scratched as hell.

Third is Battlelore with 80+ play, but nothing got busted except for the dice (which had issues with rubbed off symbols).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
12 Sep 2017 19:27 #254155 by SuperflyPete
I am on my third copy of Red November. This latest one is the larger box one. We used to play it daily, literally, for an entire summer. Sometimes we'd play it repeatedly until we won.

My copy of Zooloretto has seen far better days. It's beat to death. At least 70 plays. We have an 8.5x11" score sheet (we always track high scores) that's damned near full.

Zombie Dice and Martian Dice are both 100+ plays. More like 200 each. Canisters are fucked.

On my second copy of Pandemic. Vis-a-vis Red November we alternated between the two. I've only played with the expansions once or twice.

Carcasonne is decimated. I recently trashed it after dumping a glass of bourbon on it. It had to have 150 plays.

Mission Command Sea - At least 100 plays and I've replaced the tokens once now. Planes are still intact. Amazing game.

Dungeon Roll's cards are shredded and warped and smell of tobacco and skunk. At least 50 plays. It sits in my "outdoor game" tote which stays in the garage.

Spot It...fucking destroyed. Dented tin, cards are worn as shit. Great fun with the kids.

Tikal has at least 50 plays. Box and tokens are surprisingly good, and the tiles have only a little wear. I don't even dig it that much but it was a go to for 3 years or so.

The Adventurers...it's been replaced twice now, and finally got the painted dudes for it. It's not beat but you can tell it's been played the fuck out of. At least 100 plays.

I don't have any Heroscape left, sadly, but I've played it 3-500 times at a minimum. My cards were always kept in 8mil CD sleeves so they didn't get fucked up but I've played it in 20 states and 2 countries. Used to travel for hours to play in tournaments.

I was a poster child for CMG addiction back when I started with Attacktix. Fuck was I bad. I learned a scam to make all my money back (x-ray the boosters and return the ones that don't have super rares) but I played it at least 300 times, minimum. I've traveled all over for that too, and even hosted a big tournament at a hotel ballroom. A buddy made a video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
12 Sep 2017 19:52 #254157 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Dominion. I had to buy the replacement base cards as it became obvious which were the starting cards in your deck.

More
12 Sep 2017 19:55 #254158 by san il defanso
My first copy of Catan got pretty ratty. I actually replaced it when the fourth edition came out. That's the one game I owned in college, so it's been through dorm life.

My copy of Cosmic Encounter has been played so much I had to replace the cards. The box died long ago, having been replaced by a plastic case that holds all those (now sleeved) cards.

Battlestar Galactica saw a ton of action for about 18 months. You can see it in the box and cards.

Carcassonne has actually had a couple repairs on its bag. Back in the day I wanted a way to be able to separate out the expansions, so I put expansion initials on the expansion tiles.

Agricola has been played so much that I'm almost out of scoresheets.

My copy of Ra is in fine shape, but it's one of my earliest purchases. It survived a spill of Korean soda.

Citadels has been played to the point that the box looks like I've been sanding it.

I have a few used games that look a little rough, because I'm not much of a stickler for condition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
12 Sep 2017 20:05 #254160 by Jackwraith
Like San, I have a few used games that are showing their lifespan. My copy of Avalon Hill's Dune is one of them. I got it in a trade over a decade ago and it was worn then, although the gloss is still on the player screens for some reason. The box is rough, though.

The one I bought new that's showing wear is Chaos in the Old World, because we've played it so many times. The gloss has come off many of the original cards, but we've been playing with the expansion cards lately. Most of the Chaos symbols are long gone from the Cultists. The board has clearly seen some years. It will never leave my possession, though.

More
12 Sep 2017 20:58 #254163 by Cranberries
This is a surprisingly useful thread. Rat-a-tat-cat is our most battered game. I'm amazed at the plays you guys get in.

I learned a scam to make all my money back (x-ray the boosters and return the ones that don't have super rares) but I played it at least 300 times, minimum.

I watched that video in its entirety, mostly to see what SuperflyTNT looked like. He perfectly matched my expectations. It was amazing.

Also, some of those kills looked like someone had upgraded the springs on their minis. There were pieces flying across the room.

More
13 Sep 2017 01:11 #254165 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha..."Superflynt"...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds