October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

SW: Legion by FFG

More
21 Aug 2017 08:52 #252732 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic SW: Legion by FFG
I demoed this at Gen Con and it was pretty slick. I liked the activation system and overall it was pretty simple. Yet it had a solid amount of flavorful detail in stuff like Vader being able to deflect blaster shots back at the attacker and speeder bikes being able to shoot a full 360 degrees if they used their hold out blaster pistols.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2017 08:55 #252733 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic SW: Legion by FFG
Firing arcs/facing?

More
21 Aug 2017 09:06 #252737 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic SW: Legion by FFG
But I wonder, how fun/competitive will the game be if you aren't running a jedi/sith character? Do they just dominate the game?

More
21 Aug 2017 15:40 #252787 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic SW: Legion by FFG

metalface13 wrote: But I wonder, how fun/competitive will the game be if you aren't running a jedi/sith character? Do they just dominate the game?

I assume it's just like any minis game where they'll just cost a helluva lot more in your roster - just like getting a Witchlord or Gandalf in LotR :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
21 Aug 2017 16:19 #252795 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic SW: Legion by FFG
Man of all of the ways you could simulate the Wars part of Star Wars, the ground based part of it seems the least exciting, and yet it's the last one to get the FFG minis treatment. I know it'll sell like crazy, but I'll be over here playing Armada.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Aug 2017 18:43 #252809 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic SW: Legion by FFG

charlest wrote: I demoed this at Gen Con and it was pretty slick. I liked the activation system and overall it was pretty simple. Yet it had a solid amount of flavorful detail in stuff like Vader being able to deflect blaster shots back at the attacker and speeder bikes being able to shoot a full 360 degrees if they used their hold out blaster pistols.

Is there any morale & suppression rules? I read (in passing) that they have it, but halfway through the covenant video I still didn't see them.

More
21 Aug 2017 22:29 - 21 Aug 2017 22:29 #252821 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic SW: Legion by FFG

Stonecutter wrote: Man of all of the ways you could simulate the Wars part of Star Wars, the ground based part of it seems the least exciting, and yet it's the last one to get the FFG minis treatment. I know it'll sell like crazy, but I'll be over here playing Armada.

Agree, I might buy some of my favorite models though if the sculpt quality is really high.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 22:29 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Aug 2017 22:38 #252825 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic SW: Legion by FFG
T

Michael Barnes wrote:

Mr. White wrote: This isn't for me at all, but I fear those recent Runewars adopters are gonna be pissed. FFG probably announced this too soon...

Eleven people are going to be SOOOO pissed.

My FLGS went in big on RUNEWARS minis....I expect they'll be on clearance by New Years.

More
21 Aug 2017 22:47 - 21 Aug 2017 22:49 #252827 by Michael Barnes
Runewars is not terrible. It just has DOA written all over it. And it is up against AOS, Kings of War, Frostgrave and other established, well-regarded games in this space...yet it offers virtually nothing in terms of differentiators other than the interlocking trays, fidget spinner dials, and airplane-like movement for ground units. It's also more fussy and cluttered than AOS, for example.

Legion definitely has a chance but as cool as it looks now, remember that there have been MANY SW games that looked just as awesome and flopped. I think it is a HUGE mistake to not do these prepainted. That was such a big selling point of X-Wing- the models were ready to go out of the box and look awesome. That crowd is not going to be very excited about painting 20, 40, whatever Stormtroopers.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 22:49 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Msample

More
21 Aug 2017 23:46 #252829 by Gary Sax
Incidentally, it's super weird to me that the models in that video look like they are well painted but not especially outstanding. That's an area where FFG needs to think hard about their game. If they aren't going to prepaint, they need to make sure their demo models are painted by someone killer or they are just going to look like shit next to the GW stuff. But it's also possible that it's the worse model quality making them difficult to paint.

More
22 Aug 2017 00:35 #252830 by Michael Barnes
Not to put too fine a point on it, the model quality looks like and will be garbage. Sorry, but it's true. FFG's Chinese factories just can not pull off sculpts at GW, Infinity, or Privateer quality. The Runewars figures were a joke. The Imperial Assault figures were slightly above bubble gum machine quality. I'm putting together SM Intercessors right now and there is no way that FFG can compete with these guys- who are on the LOW end of what Citadel is doing right now. Yes, the cost will be lower and you'll likely get a bunch of cards and tokens, but if you like modeling and painting, then I think Legion will disappoint in that regard.

More
22 Aug 2017 06:48 #252835 by Gary Sax
It really is visible to even an non-painter eye.

More
22 Aug 2017 07:23 - 22 Aug 2017 07:25 #252836 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic SW: Legion by FFG
The issue is that they're not that cheap anyway... at least from what I've seen in Runewars.

Then, they're also boring when painted. Storm troopers are all white. Rebels are... brownish.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 07:25 by Sevej.

More
22 Aug 2017 07:36 #252838 by Gary Sax
This is a great point, Sevej. Armada has this problem too. Star Wars was not made to create little paintable figures for so its colors aren't popping. GW has a universe that was intentionally created to have all kinds of bizarre and fantastic paint schemes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
22 Aug 2017 09:00 - 22 Aug 2017 09:04 #252852 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic SW: Legion by FFG
They should have gone with these guys for rebel troops. Pew!

Honestly though, if they were prepainted you'd have all the painters who have been wanting to paint Star Wars minis for years bitching about how they were prepainted.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 09:04 by metalface13.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds